PDA

View Full Version : Contact Forms For Your Business Website

EatingEmoKids
02-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I was working with Tom from Grasshopper Lawn Care and during the process of setting up his website I learned that not all hosting providers allow you to send emails using a contact form, and even the ones that do, some of them limit the way or the amount of emails that can be sent. So Tom suggested to me, what I think is a great idea.

It is to offer lawn care businesses a contact form that would actually be hosted by me, so that there would be no restrictions on sending/receiving emails from a contact form. I would also include a security code in the script to help prevent spam, which seems like a pretty big issue because I have recieved a number of requests over the past month for adding security codes to prevent spam in contact forms.

So my question to all of you is, would this be a helpful service? And what kind of information would you like to get from your customers who fill out the forums, or what features do you want in the contact form? Tom also mentioned how an auto responder sending the customer with a coupon or some thing might be useful. Please feel free to share your idea!

Steve
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I was working with Tom from Grasshopper Lawn Care and during the process of setting up his website I learned that not all hosting providers allow you to send emails using a contact form, and even the ones that do, some of them limit the way or the amount of emails that can be sent. So Tom suggested to me, what I think is a great idea.

I ran into that same problem in the past too. Does his host allow php code in his site or no?

EatingEmoKids
02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I ran into that same problem in the past too. Does his host allow php code in his site or no?

I think so, I actually had to do some stuff to activate allowing the server to send emails, but then it still was limited to how we could do it. So the contact form ended up not being as user friendly as it could have been.

Steve
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Can we see how the page looks?

justin_time
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
That's why they invented CAPTCHA

You might ask what's CAPTCHA

A CAPTCHA or Captcha (IPA: /ˈkŠptʃə/) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to ensure that the response is not generated by a computer. The process usually involves one computer (a server) asking a user to complete a simple test which the computer is able to generate and grade. Because other computers are unable to solve the CAPTCHA, any user entering a correct solution is presumed to be human. Thus, it is sometimes described as a reverse Turing test, because it is administered by a machine and targeted to a human, in contrast to the standard Turing test that is typically administered by a human and targeted to a machine. A common type of CAPTCHA requires that the user type letters or digits from a distorted image that appears on the screen.

Source from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

grounded
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
My site is hosted by yahoo small business.

My site accepts php/perl scripts but wont allow outside email to go thru the site. The only email allowed has to be from me. Matt worked on this and made it work. My biggest problem was spam. I would get a lot of it until Matt installed the serial script. Now all is great except for an auto responder but for now, I'm happy to get vital, accurate requests and not ****** ad's!

Tom
www.Dupageturf.com

Steve
02-13-2009, 08:30 PM
My site accepts php/perl scripts but wont allow outside email to go thru the site. The only email allowed has to be from me. Matt worked on this and made it work. My biggest problem was spam.

By this do you mean some programs out there got a hold of your code and just sent you spam through some sort of program?

until Matt installed the serial script.

What is a serial script?

grounded
02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
The serial script I spoke of is CAPTCHA

I was receiving spam from some robot or something to that effect. I tried to filter the mail by deleting email response that didn't include a zip code but the spam still made it past the filter.

Matt re-designed my site and added Captcha to the response form and now - no more spam!

Tom

ritchiem
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Tom what is your URL for your site?

EatingEmoKids
02-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Tom what is your URL for your site?

Toms website url is: http://www.dupageturf.com/

musician/lawnman
02-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Matt,

When I set my site up I tried like hell to get a form like that set up! That's awesome. I couldn't seem to make it happen. Could you possibly help me get that done?

Info I would ideally like to collect is,:
Name, address, phone #, best time to call?, how did you hear about us?
& additional comments.

EatingEmoKids
02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Matt,

When I set my site up I tried like hell to get a form like that set up! That's awesome. I couldn't seem to make it happen. Could you possibly help me get that done?

Info I would ideally like to collect is,:
Name, address, phone #, best time to call?, how did you hear about us?
& additional comments.

Hey Chuck, sorry for such a late reply, I've been pretty busy trying to get a few websites live and trying to get everything ready for my graduation... I'll write up this contact form for you tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'll shoot you a pm when it's finished.

EatingEmoKids
02-23-2009, 11:07 PM
For those who want to see what Chucks script looks like:
http://www.lcowebdesign.com/contact/index.html

All Chuck will have to do is put a button on his site like the one on that page. When ever some one clicks the button a pop-up window will come up with a contact form that is actually hosted on my site.

Feel free to test out the form, that one does not send an email to anyone so you can play around with it and even hit submit to see what the customer would see.

musician/lawnman
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
That works nice! I tried it out. (by the way if that test does go to one of your email addresses.... disregaurd the comment! lol:D