PDA

View Full Version : HI from Polands lawn care

Polands lawn care
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Well I just wanted too stop in and say hello.
I have been in the lawn care biz for over 10 years and for the most part really enjoy it. This year is a restart year for me do to some health issues I had for the last 2 years so Im looking forward to starting out here really soon. Hope to see you all around.

Steve
02-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Polands,

Welcome to our forum!

Do you have any business advice for the new start up lawn care business owner? Any do's and don'ts? Or things they should avoid doing?

Polands lawn care
02-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Polands,

Welcome to our forum!

Do you have any business advice for the new start up lawn care business owner? Any do's and don'ts? Or things they should avoid doing?

1. Be legit
2. Buy professional equipment (even if its just a push mower!)
3. Stay small as long as you can
4. Always get paid for your time and work (never start your truck for free)
5. Always take pride in your work
6. Be happy in your work

These 6 tips have always kept me going!

Steve
02-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Great thoughts!

3. Stay small as long as you can

When you say stay small as long as you can, can you tell me a little more about what you mean by that? And why that is a good thing to do?

Polands lawn care
02-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Great thoughts!

When you say stay small as long as you can, can you tell me a little more about what you mean by that? And why that is a good thing to do?

Yes, from what Ive seen over the years only the company owner will give the best quality of work because it is their money,time,effort and company on the line. I belive when the owner is taken off the job site the the quality of work suffers and customers tend too go else where. Myself and a worker or two seem to work best for myself and company in the past.

Steve
02-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Very good point.

4. Always get paid for your time and work (never start your truck for free)

I think this is something many new lawn care business owners tend to not pay attention too.

Do you feel you went through a time when you didn't follow this rule and how did you overcome it? Was there one experience that changed the way you did things or was it gradual over time?

Polands lawn care
02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Very good point.

I think this is something many new lawn care business owners tend to not pay attention too.

Do you feel you went through a time when you didn't follow this rule and how did you overcome it? Was there one experience that changed the way you did things or was it gradual over time?

Yes, about the second year in the biz I realized that loading up the truck and going out to do only a few lawns by myself was a waste of time. For myself I tend to do landscaping in the early part of the week and the mowing in the later part of the week with the weekend as back uptime. I just feel that If Im going too work and make money,be efficent about how you do it. Good example....If I where to mow one day I would start out from the farthest lawn and work my way home. OR If I know I have to lay 5 yards of mulch and plant 20 bushes monday, I go get my supplies(ie.mulch,bushes rakes,shovels ect.) the day or night before. I really like too get up in the morning grab some breakfest jump in the truck and go to work. You really need to plan out your time as efficently as possible by knowing what you need to make and always have a back up plan.

paulazkez
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
hey thats great info. i have a question maybe someone can help me with. i've been in business for three years and don't know enough to do most larger landscape jobs, sprinkler systems, or hardscapes. i would like to offer these services to customers until i get to learn them myself. how do i go about subcontracting out these services?

Steve
02-13-2009, 08:26 PM
how do i go about subcontracting out these services?

Hi Paul,

Do you have any contacts now that can do that for you?

Are you asking how to go about finding sub-contractors? Or is this more of a question of how to pay them or how to sell this concept to your customer?