PDA

View Full Version : Quality Services

qserve
02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello all. My name is Kent and I operate a small property care business in Iowa. Started doing janitorial services to local businesses as a sideline 10 years ago. That evolved into carpet/floor care for bus. and res. In 2007 got my commercial pesticide applicators license for exterminating. That allowed me to go full time self-employed. 2008 got licensed for turf and ornamental and started doing fert and herb apps. as well as cleanups. Offering mowing this year. Just basic equip so far. Pay as I go. Don't need the debt. Very excited about expanding this part of the business. Staff consists of myself, one full-time person and a few part-timers. Thanks for having me on the site. Lots of great info here.

Steve
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Kent,

Welcome to our forum!

You sound like you have experimented with a lot of stuff! Which have you liked the most so far?

qserve
02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
The lawn care and pest control is definitely what I enjoy the most. Offering a variety of services works well in a small community like ours. We stay busy without traveling too far.

Steve
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh very interesting! Do you have any advise as to what marketing methods a lawn care business owner should utilize?

What have you tried that you liked the results and what have you tried that failed?

qserve
02-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Word of mouth is still my best advertising. Discounts to customers who refer us to others works well. I have done local newspaper ads, radio, yellow pages, etc. All with limited results. Ecxeeding a customers expectations and doing follow ups to ensure satisfaction seems to get people excited about your services and want to tell others.

Steve
02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Discounts to customers who refer us to others works well.

Hi Kent,

Do you have any suggestions as to what a lawn care business owner should offer a customer who they get a referral from?

qserve
02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
A free mowing or application. Maybe a percentage off next billing.

SprinklerRepair
02-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Where are you located, Mason City, Sioux City, Burlington, Des Moines?
Get your business where the business is: on the web.
You are here, and so is every one else.