PDA

View Full Version : What licenses do I need in FL?

usmcman001
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey guys I am trying to figure out what licenses I need for FL. I live in Safety Harbor and will be operating around surrounding cities. I would like to name my company "The Cutting Edge Lawn Service". I know its original!! :D So do I need to fill out a DBA or no. Please give me any insight FL guys and gals. Thanks, Cory

Steve
02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Cory,

You should go to your county court house and register your dba. Doing Business As.

Then check to see if your town requires that you get a contractors license.

What are you planning on doing to promote your business?

usmcman001
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Well I have just ordered some business cards, making some flyers off templates I found here. Hope you guys dont mind. I have ordered some magnets for the vehicle and have been passing the work around with family, friends and neighbors. Anything else you could think of to help a newbie out?

Also what are your thoughts on John Deere z225 mower? I can get one at a great deal with 15 hours on it. I will be doing general sized residential lawns as of right now so I dont think I will need a commercial mower yet. Thnaks guys

StartALawnCareBusiness
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I've tested a z225. It's a good mower but it won't stand up to the long term abuse of a commercial operation. Things to look out for: welds and engine durability...does that model have an oil filter? if it doesn't, keep your oil changed fastidiously and keep your air filter squeeky clean.

IMHO:

Keith
Start A Lawn Care Business (http://www.startalawncarebusiness.com)

swstout
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey guys I am trying to figure out what licenses I need for FL. I live in Safety Harbor and will be operating around surrounding cities. I would like to name my company "The Cutting Edge Lawn Service". I know its original!! :D So do I need to fill out a DBA or no. Please give me any insight FL guys and gals. Thanks, Cory

I don't know about Florida but it is probably similar to South Carolina. Here if you want to do business with realators or banks, you need a DBA, a sales tax permit, liability insurance and workman's comp insurance.

No sales tax on labor, but material (fertilizer, plants, etc.) is taxable.

Liability insurance is not required for license but you can't get commercial, or real estate jobs without it. I found The Grange Company to be the best price. $509.00 per year with a $2,000.00 equipment replacement rider ($500.00 deductible on each). The policy can be divided over 11 months.

Steve

musician/lawnman
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Well I am about an hour & a half south of you, If it is the same (& probably is) you'll need a business licence/biz tax recipt, You'll either need workers comp or to file yourself exempt, but if you get employees they will need comp. You should get liability insurance for sure, & as stated above, equipment insurance is a good idea.

Hope that helps some.

Steve
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM
business licence/biz tax recipt

Chuck,

Is this a township or a county issue? Does your town want you to collect some sort of tax as well?

VPS Lawn Care
02-05-2009, 11:46 PM
In Florida usally you will need both, one from county and one from the city you are based in, they dont cost too much though, you can get the county one from the tag office, and the city from the city works offices or town hall.

Steve
02-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Is there anyway you can show us a picture of what this stuff looks like? Does it attach to your truck somehow? Like a sticker? Or do you have to have a license number on your truck or what?