PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Guys Dump?

Fresh68
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
My secret dumping place has recently become not secret.SOOOOO...getting rid of spring clean up stuff (leaves, brush, sticks), just became much harder.

Town dumps are only available to residents.Since I work in 5 different towns this may be a problem this spring.

As you guys know illegal dumping will cost you big $$$$ if you get caught.

Any ideas? or Where do most of you dump?

Dave

Steve
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Dave, did you ever ask the township dump if they will let contractor dump for a fee? I think a lot of them offer that.

Fresh68
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Yea Steve, I'll be looking at that option.It isn't cheap.And, in this economy it is going to be hard to pass that cost on to your customers.

I will keep you posted on prices!

Steve
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I look forwards to hearing from you on this.

Maybe there are other places in your area that will accept brush and such to create compost.

VPS Lawn Care
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I operate in Florida and we use the County dumps/land fills, 12' trailer load only costs on average $4 to $10 bucks

Steve
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I operate in Florida and we use the County dumps/land fills, 12' trailer load only costs on average $4 to $10 bucks

Do they have any limits to what you can bring in? Just brush or can you bring in concrete and such? What about junk/trash picked up from the yard?

Do they base it on trailer weight?

Fresh68
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Finally got some good news on dumping.There is an environmental recycling center not to far from me, which will be open to contractors.

2 ways of pricing...

65$/ton
$15/minute

Steve
02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh that is great! How did you find out about it?

musician/lawnman
02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
2 ways of pricing...

65$/ton
$15/minute

That still sounds steep.....

I often unload say a truckload at abut 400-650lbs for around $10 or less.
& what is $15/minute about? If it takes you 10 minutes to unload are you going to be charged $150?

englishtree
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Since I mostly dump wood chips I dump at nursery's and they let me dump grass, If you know any nursery's ask them if you could dump it there depending on what your dumping they may use it as they use wood chips to spread around there trees etc...

elbow300
11-25-2012, 11:14 PM
I use an ag supply place to dump. They charge me $30.00 for my 22 yard truck, compost or grind what I take them, and then sell it back to me at $15.30 per yard as mulch or landscape mix. I need to get into the supply business!!

CS-LawnService
11-26-2012, 05:43 AM
I use the landfill in Virginia since most of my work is there I just tell them its commercial and it does not matter I am from out of state and its 60 a ton here also

krzys666
11-26-2012, 07:53 AM
we are paying 55 a ton for grass or leaves and 85 for brush or trees.
otherwise the next cheapest one is 85 then 90 a ton.

you need to have accounts in the town, and pay a yearly fee of 150 to use the dump

stevef1201
11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I got a friend with about 20 acres of lane, who is filling in a big hole. He got a permit to do so and several of us dump our debris in there. Should be able to do it for a few more years. Ands its free

ringahding1
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

I placed an ad on Craigslist. A guy with with a real need for compost responded to the ad. He said if you have more than I need you can dump here and finish out your season. We probably brought in 40 cubic yards, more than he needed.

The problem we have now run into is that the local recycling company had their permit snatched from them. One can only imagine what for, but it has put a real burden on that aspect of fall leaf clean up.

My plan going forward is to offer this guy work via leads I get, since he can actual do what we do, just in a much smaller scale. Hopefully this kiss-butt tactic will work...haha.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I go to 3 different transfer stations mostly. Leaves is free at 2 and 5 at 1. Brush is 5 at 1 and 15 at 2. Rocks are 80 a ton.

Sometimes when I have fill or rocks. Ill put up add and dump for free somewhere.

patrick6411
11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Ok you guys are going to laugh but I have 15 acres that we own, and a dumpster. All leaves and small limbs we chip them. Then we compost them down. I am trying to build up an area of the property that I want to build on, so this works out well for us. On the trees, if it is a good wood to burn in a fire place we split them and sale them. What we canít sell there is a local company that accepts them at $45.00 a truck and trailer load.
If it is plan trash we place it in our dumpster, they empty it twice a week. In fact I get lazy and will more than likely add some fall cleanup stuff in there lol. In the long run the dumpster has saved us a great deal of headache and grief.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Ok you guys are going to laugh but I have 15 acres that we own, and a dumpster. All leaves and small limbs we chip them. Then we compost them down. I am trying to build up an area of the property that I want to build on, so this works out well for us. On the trees, if it is a good wood to burn in a fire place we split them and sale them. What we canít sell there is a local company that accepts them at $45.00 a truck and trailer load.
If it is plan trash we place it in our dumpster, they empty it twice a week. In fact I get lazy and will more than likely add some fall cleanup stuff in there lol. In the long run the dumpster has saved us a great deal of headache and grief.

Nothing to laugh about it. If we all had the property we would do the same.

Martywdx
11-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Just a thought-
My land slopes to a reveen, and I've been dumping mulched leaves and grass clipping from 20-30 clients for going on 20 years. I have yet to see any noticeable filling of the slope. It all just rots away. what is left is a peat like sponginess that I wouldn't build anything on.

Naylor's Lawncare
11-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Here we pay 35 a load for grass and tree at are city recyle center but leaves are free to dump.I have two of my friends begging for the leaves and grass for there gardens.Both have offered to pay 20 dollars a load for it.I bet you can put an ad up and find people who would want a load.

patrick6411
11-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Just a thought-
My land slopes to a reveen, and I've been dumping mulched leaves and grass clipping from 20-30 clients for going on 20 years. I have yet to see any noticeable filling of the slope. It all just rots away. what is left is a peat like sponginess that I wouldn't build anything on.

We turn it to help compost it better. I also water it from time to time. I have added some sand to it, very little. If you are sloping build a little dam out of wood and it will stop it from washing away. I am only building a work office there, an open garage. Nothing to live in.

LawnCareMan280
11-28-2012, 07:12 PM
My secret dumping place has recently become not secret.SOOOOO...getting rid of spring clean up stuff (leaves, brush, sticks), just became much harder.

Town dumps are only available to residents.Since I work in 5 different towns this may be a problem this spring.

As you guys know illegal dumping will cost you big $$$$ if you get caught.

Dave

Well if you lived out in the country like I do I can't drive because I'm only 12 so I get my lawnmower and drive around with my little utility trailer and go in the backyard have a camp fire and burn the sh*t. when I dethach in the spring I burn the dead grass and nobody cares in my neighborhood.

SECTLANDSCAPING
11-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Well if you lived out in the country like I do I can't drive because I'm only 12 so I get my lawnmower and drive around with my little utility trailer and go in the backyard have a camp fire and burn the sh*t. when I dethach in the spring I burn the dead grass and nobody cares in my neighborhood.

you just like lighting stuff on fire.

The pile of stuff I dump in a week is bigger then your moms house.:D