PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

jsf343
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello to everyone,

My name is Jeff and I am out on the left coast (Portland,Oregon) and have been in business (landscape maintenance) for close to 10 years. I did it part time for many years to help supplement my income, ended up being in a car wreck and hurt my back and shoulder which caused me to not be able to go back to my full time job. Over the last few years I hired crews to do most of the work while I have been in vocational rehab (going through the drafting program), and trying to run the business full time.

I found this site while I was looking around for some various templates and found a few here, really enjoy the site, the topics and of course the templates.

wish you all the best this season. Be SAFE, Be SMART, and be SUCCESSFUL!

Jeff

Steve
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum! What advice do you have for other lawn care business owners that are just getting started?

jsf343
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Honestly I see a few things...

1. I would learn as much as I could about what makes the successful outfits successful, I would also REALLY pay close attention to the mistakes others make and learn from those mistakes, so your business avoids those pitfalls. No business is perfect, pitfalls will come aand it is how you adapt and overcome that seems to define not only you as an individual, but your business as well.

2. Take pride in your job/business it is a reflection of you.

3. have a good sence of humor, don't ever take things too seriously, be able to laugh at yourself.

4. Have the right priorities and motives in all that you do. Business is important, but faith, FAMILY and health are more important!

5. figure out what works and what doesn't, if something isn't working dump it like a bad stock. Always look for ways to make something just a little bit better.

6. have good insurance, and the amount you need.

7. take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

8. Stay in shape (or get in shape) you will see why when you hit your 30's and even more so your 40's.

9. plan ahead.

10. visit sites like this and others to learn..learn.. LEARN!

I better stop, these have all really helped me and there is still more to learn!

Jeff out

Steve
02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Thank you Jeff!

1. I would learn as much as I could about what makes the successful outfits successful, I would also REALLY pay close attention to the mistakes others make and learn from those mistakes, so your business avoids those pitfalls. No business is perfect, pitfalls will come aand it is how you adapt and overcome that seems to define not only you as an individual, but your business as well.

Do you have any advice on how initially starts doing this? How do you ask other outfits what made them successful? Also how do you learn about the mistakes others have made? Especially from competing businesses in your area?

From your experience what have been some of the worst mistakes some of the businesses you have talked to made?

Also any thoughts on what made some of them successful?