PDA

View Full Version : Stout Services

swstout
01-30-2009, 06:59 PM
New Business. I recently lost my position with Homeland Security after failing my physical due to hearing loss. I have always enjoyed doing lawn work so I decided to go for it and will be officially open in Mid February, 2009.

A already own all of my starting equipment. This is something you might want to try. I purchased much of my equipment from sales by people who were foreclosed on. They are easy to find and the prices are fantastic. I bought a 2007 John Deer lawn tractor with a 46" deck for $300.00. A leaf blower for $35.00. An open 5 x 10 trailer for the tractor and equipment for $250.00. At one sale, I picked up a core aerator and commercial spreader for $100.00.

I have sent introduction letters to all the Real Estate companies and banks in the area this week. Have received over 30 hits to my website, 11 emails, and 4 calls so far.

I published a (hurried) website January 28th http://www.swstout.com.

Starting February 2nd I will launch my advertising campaign. I have printed up 200 door hangers, printed up flyers with takeoff tabs, printed up business cards, and "Have You Seen" flyers (an idea I got here).

I'm 60 year young and can't stand not having anything to do.

Steve

bnclawncare
01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Steve, i wish you the best of luck. I just recently started to go full time in my buisness. I have been doing it for about 10 years. One of my success stories is when the PGA tour came to NC in 2008. I already had a few customers on the course. I went to a local sign shop and had them make up some yard signs, bright yellow with bold black letters. I put 10 of these signs in the yards that I currently had. After the PGA tour was over, I had so many phone calls and hits on my web site, I almost paniced beacuse one of my downfalls is that i do not turn any customer away. Again, goodluck.

Steve
01-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to our forum!

This is something you might want to try. I purchased much of my equipment from sales by people who were foreclosed on. They are easy to find

Can you tell us do you mean home foreclosure situations or business foreclosures? How did you find them?

One of my success stories is when the PGA tour came to NC in 2008. I already had a few customers on the course. I went to a local sign shop and had them make up some yard signs, bright yellow with bold black letters. I put 10 of these signs in the yards that I currently had. After the PGA tour was over, I had so many phone calls and hits on my web site, I almost paniced

Were these on yards that were on the golf course or were these yards in the area? How did so many people see the signs? I'd love to hear more about this.

swstout
01-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Home foreclosures are reported in our local paper. I write down the addresses when I find them and then check for moving, yard and garage sales with the same address. Obviously, the people are going to an apartment and have the choice of selling or storing.

Some of these people are in over their head but, most have let the property go because they have negative equity in the property.

Steve
01-31-2009, 04:13 AM
Those are good ideas!

Starting February 2nd I will launch my advertising campaign. I have printed up 200 door hangers, printed up flyers with takeoff tabs, printed up business cards, and "Have You Seen" flyers (an idea I got here).

I'd love to see what you created! Where will you be distributing the flyers too?

Also do you have a plan on who you will be handing out your business cards too? Are you a part of any local social organizations you can market in?

swstout
01-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I will be distributing the flyers at Grocery Stores, Lowes, Ace Hardware, WalMart, Resterants, etc. The "Have You Seen" flyer will be posted on Telephone Poles and such where people walk.

I'll hand out my business cards to anyone and everyone.

I tried to attach my ads, but none would go upload. I know I can email them as I already have. Just need an addy.

Also, I saw an ad in our paper that got me thinking! "Mixed breed puppy's for sale - $500.00. Ask about our instant $500.00 rebate." It caught my attention so maybe a lawncare variation will catch prospects attention.

Steve
01-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't know why it wouldn't attach, did you click on the upload button once you chose which files you wanted to attach?

You can email (slow@gophersoftware.com) them to me here and I will get them up on the forum.

bnclawncare
01-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Yes, these were a few yards that were on the golf course. I had been doing, in the past, only one property here. There had already been a LCC in the area, there are more, but these are big $ companies. First part of spring 2008, people started approching me when I was servicing the one property that I had. I gave them quotes and was actually saving them a huge amount of $ per month. The main complaint from the new customers is that their current LCC was just not doing what they was payiing him to do. They all had the same guy! So by the time the PGA tour came , I had picked up 4 additional yards on the course. When I heard about the PGA tour coming to my area, a light bulb went off. I paid a local sign shop $130.00 to make my 10 signs. I put them in the areas of my yards that would see the most traffic. See, when the tour came, all of the streets were shut down, so all traffic was foot traffic. I new if I could only pick up one yard off of this advertisement, the ROI would been worth it. Everyone was seeing these signs and I was the only guy advertising. I had current customers on the opposite side of town that seen my signs at the tournament calling me a complimenting me on the signs.

bnclawncare
01-31-2009, 08:08 AM
I am still looking for help!!!

Steve
01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Here are the flyers Steve sent to me but I couldn't open them up because I use openoffice.org.

Can anyone resave these as an earlier word document or an open office document?

bnclawncare
01-31-2009, 11:29 AM
I cant open either

swstout
01-31-2009, 01:02 PM
I just sent Steve the files in Word 97 .doc format. The other format was 128 bit encrypted for medical records.

Steve
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok here are the newer files. Great stuff. I love the dog flyer, that really grabs your attention. Are these files working for everyone else?

bnclawncare
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
They work. The Dog flyer is awsome!