PDA

View Full Version : Van vs. Pickup usage

Steve
04-09-2006, 11:16 PM
A little while back I was talking to an owner of a lawn application company who utilized vans only.

Have you or would you use a van over a pickup?

What would be the benefits vs downfalls of using them?

kc2006
04-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't use vans unless I used it only for application work/pulling the mowing trailer. You can't haul anything like mulch dirt, debris with them so that would be the biggest downfall. Benefit would be the space for advertising on the van, you could get it all lettered up and be a big rolling billboard.

tiedeman
04-11-2006, 03:55 AM
The major downside with using a van for applications is the fumes from the pesticides. You could get really sick from it.

Steve
04-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Could the rear be sealed off somehow from the front and then also add vents to continuously air it out?

Do you know anyone else who does this?

kc2006
04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
There's a local landscaping company that uses all vans, they do landscaping and applications. I think he has to use a trailer to haul any material they need for the job. But there's no doubt you can see his vans, the signs are about 6'x4' on the sides.

Steve
04-11-2006, 07:39 PM
The one person I am thinking of who does lawn applications, uses vans. He has been very successful. He has a forklift in his yard and buys all his products in bulk on palettes and then uses the forklift to help load the vans.

kc2006
04-11-2006, 09:00 PM
That wouldn't be hard to seal the rear off, a friends phone company truck is sealed off. They took a sheet of aluminum with little tabs on the edges and rivited it up, then sealed it with caulk, I'd imagine you could always get a vent like they have on enclosed trailers to vent the rear also.

Steve
04-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I think this idea could
1. cut down on costs - you wouldn't need a trailer.
2. improve efficiency - you could have everything in one vehicle, additional storage area would not be needed.
3. improve marketing - van would allow for larger signs.

In fact you could mix a van with a hitch mount carrier that could hold the spreader if you didnt want to put it into the van each time.