PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a good USP?

CloseCuts
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
A USP is a Unique Selling Proposition. I dunno if this has already been in a thread or not? I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about this. Everyone of us has something different to offer than the other guy. Thoughts and opinions

Steve
01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
This is a very good question and it does make you wonder.

I think when you are getting started you just don't know what makes you unique.

My favorite USP of all times is "Federal Express: When it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."

Here this forum has been around all these years and still it is yet to have a USP and it should. Maybe most people feel that way about their business as well. Maybe that is why we don't see too many of them. But that doesn't excuse not having one.

It is getting me to think about lawn care industry usp's.

What about "Friendly Neighbor Lawn Care Service."
or "You've god a friend in the lawn care business."
"The greenest grass on the block. Guaranteed!"

Can anyone think of others? This is a great mental challenge!

CloseCuts
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Even though most people do cut grass. I was thinking about GOT GRASS? It's plain and very simple but its right to the point and everyone would notice it. Everyone like's milk. Got Milk? What do you think Steve?

justin_time
01-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Just in Time :D.. they use this alot on TV .. It's a good catchy phrase

Steve
01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
GOT GRASS?

I think it is good! It seems that if you use a usp you are ahead of your competitors who don't even consider using one.

How is your logo coming?

Just in Time

I like this too because it's personal and it plays off of Justin's name.

CloseCuts
01-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Well I ended up going with the original copy and there making a digital copy of the photo to put on a 4'x'4' sign. But the copy is only going to be like 2'x2'

CloseCuts
01-27-2009, 05:36 AM
What do you think of this Steve?

Want to get away? Escape in your Landscape.
Call us and see how we can help you.

Steve
01-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Yea I like that concept even better.

Here are some more ideas along the same line.

Create a backyard vacation getaway.

Turn your bland yard into a grand yard.

Want a vacation? Create a landscaped staycation in your own yard.

You grow it, we mow it.

mruiz
01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
My USP is "Tame your lawn" and for Snow "Let it snow"

Steve
01-27-2009, 07:29 AM
You all got me thinking as I read this. What is the difference between a Unique Sales Position and a slogan?

CloseCuts
01-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Yes I would agree with you Steve

CloseCuts
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey Steve I was looking to go with one of these to put on my new sign. Which one do you like better. I really like both. Got Grass is short and sweet and the other is a little longer. Wanna Get Away Escape in your Landscape. Whats your opinion? And anyone else can join in and tell me what you think.

Steve
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
What is a Unique Selling Point?

A Unique Selling Point (USP) is the single benefit that differentiates your products and/or services from your competitors.

Your USP can be just about anything that provides your customers with a reason to buy.

It can be product, service, or price oriented. Such as; quality customer service and support, lasts longer, cleans better, or provides more value for the money.

The best USP proclaims that your product can't be purchased anywhere else. And one of the best ways to communicate that benefit is with a smart and catchy slogan.

I found this on another site and it got me thinking about your U.S.P.

Wanna Get Away Escape in your Landscape.

I like this one. I think you could also re-word it to

"We'll help you escape in your Landscape." So that it is presented in a way that proclaims your service can't be purchased anywhere else, versus asking them a question.

That's at least my thought on it, what's yours?

justin_time
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I found this on another site and it got me thinking about your U.S.P.

I like this one. I think you could also re-word it to

"We'll help you escape in your Landscape." So that it is presented in a way that proclaims your service can't be purchased anywhere else, versus asking them a question.

That's at least my thought on it, what's yours?

I remember having this similar idea, do you remember Steve ?

Steve
01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I remember having this similar idea, do you remember Steve ?

Can you help refresh my memory? :D

CloseCuts
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I see your point Steve. I like that. I'm going to sit down and mess with this and even try to come up with better ones

Steve
01-27-2009, 11:28 PM
This really is a fascinating question. It does make you wonder if a U.S.P. is a statement or can it be question?

Keep me posted!

justin_time
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Can you help refresh my memory? :D

Took me a while to find it, 10 out of 14 pages of my post but I found it

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=3861

Steve
01-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Took me a while to find it, 10 out of 14 pages of my post but I found it

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=3861

I remember it now. Great find!

CloseCuts
01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Hey Steve check this site out. http://www.small-business-software.net/unique-selling-proposition.htm

CloseCuts
01-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Also this one about slogans. http://www.small-business-software.net/look-at-slogans.htm

CloseCuts
01-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Together we cover more ground
Mow better, mow often, mow beautiful
Lawn Enforcement Officer.... Weed patrol

Steve
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Oh those are very creative ideas! Isn't it amazing what you can come up with when you start playing around with ideas?

CloseCuts
01-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Yea did you check out those sites with slogans and usp's

ritchiem
01-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I have been using "We'll Keep You Growing" on our logo, flyers, business cards...pretty much everything now that I think of it. It says that 'we know what we are doing to keep your landscape beautiful, and other companies may not'.

CloseCuts
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I like that Rich. I'm trying to come up with something. I've been racking my brain for days now. But if I create a good one it will all be worth while.

CloseCuts
01-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Hey guys what do you think about Escape your Landscape?

Steve
01-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I like it.

You could also say "Escape to your landscape."

CloseCuts
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm planning on putting that USP at the top of my 4'x4' sign and then under that put my services. Then at the bottom left corner i'm going to put my logo. The logo is going to be 2'x2' and then to the right of the logo would be all my contact info. Do you think that will look alright Steve?

Steve
01-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Yea! I can't wait to see it!

swstout
02-02-2009, 02:50 AM
I don't know it this is a USP, but I have this on the back of my business cards.

Steve
02-02-2009, 04:08 AM
I like that a lot! Have you had customers compliment you on your business cards?

VPS Lawn Care
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
You all got me thinking as I read this. What is the difference between a Unique Sales Position and a slogan?

What the diffrence is suppose to be;

A slogan is who you are and what you as a co. stand for. Kinda a mini mission statement. "Quality Ontime, Every Cut, Every Time

A usp is a targeted sales statement- Someone said on here "you grow it we mow it" that is a usp

Bothe could be used as a tag line

Steve
02-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Thank you!

Do you find you use both in your marketing or do you tend to just use one or the other?

VPS Lawn Care
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you!

Do you find you use both in your marketing or do you tend to just use one or the other?

I Always have my slogan in my marketing material " Dependable, Professional Quality, Always" TM VPS
As for a usp, it depends on the type of marketing i am doing, and what i am pushing.