PDA

View Full Version : Do illegal workers help or hurt the U.S. economy?

Steve
04-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Do you agree or disagree that illegal workers help or hurt the U.S. economy?

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12256490/) - Pick 20 workers in the U.S. at random, and one of them is an illegal immigrant. They do jobs most Americans wouldn't take, for wages they wouldn't want.

That's a good thing for Christy Webber, whose Chicago landscaping business, she says, relies almost entirely on legal Hispanic immigrants.

With all that cheap labor, she can pocket more profits, pay her skilled workers more and even lower her prices.

"I wouldn't be able to perform my work," says Webber. "I wouldn't be able to, you know, keep up my contracts."

tiedeman
04-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I personally feel that they hurt the economy. Sure you can perhaps make a better profit off from the cheap work, but in the long run you are really taking work away from potential U.S. citizens.

kc2006
04-11-2006, 06:13 PM
They do jobs most Americans wouldn't take, for wages they wouldn't want.

I hate hearing that. If companies would pay more then people will work. American's do tend to be lazy, I hear of all these guys that can't get good help from other lawn forums and a friend locally says he can't find help that sticks around for more then 3 months. The thing they leave out is they pay $6 an hour. Chicken feed.

When the time comes that I have to hire employee's I intend on paying them well in hopes they stick around and I can get some better people to work for me and not slackies. One guy on another site claims he pays his foremens 20+ an hour. Guess what he has no problems keeping employee's.

I feel it hurts the economy though, I'm in no way for illegal immigrants or even an "open border" situation. If we go with an open border, it's going to drag the US down the dumps trying to support a whole nother country.

tiedeman
04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Quote[/b] (kc2006 @ April 11 2006,7:13)]They do jobs most Americans wouldn't take, for wages they wouldn't want.

I hate hearing that. *If companies would pay more then people will work. *American's do tend to be lazy, I hear of all these guys that can't get good help from other lawn forums and a friend locally says he can't find help that sticks around for more then 3 months. *The thing they leave out is they pay $6 an hour. *Chicken feed. *

When the time comes that I have to hire employee's I intend on paying them well in hopes they stick around and I can get some better people to work for me and not slackies. *One guy on another site claims he pays his foremens 20+ an hour. *Guess what he has no problems keeping employee's.

I feel it hurts the economy though, I'm in no way for illegal immigrants or even an "open border" situation. *If we go with an open border, it's going to drag the US down the dumps trying to support a whole nother country.
I totally agree