PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question

picframer
01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Not sure if this is the right area but....

I have been researching cargo trailers and have found a dealership in PA and we have pretty much settled on a price, I opted for a 7 X 12 with tandum axles, brakes on each wheel and they will have a green one ready for me.

What I can't decide on is a ramp door or doors that swing, I tried looking up the weight of my x500 and the 997 but can't find any info, I know they are heavy, my concern is bending the door ramp. I have ramps should I get doors, just wondering what you guys use.

Thx
Andy

justin_time
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey Andy,

Have you looked if you have a JDJ Trailer supplier around you. I have ordered a custom trailer with the side ramp.

If you want to take a look at it, just click the link in my signature just below

Hope I help make your decision

picframer
01-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Justin however I want a cargo trailer, I have a 16' X 8' tandum with ramps for the bigger tractor, a 7 X 12 flatbed and a 5 X 10 with sides. At some point, perhaps next year I will look at a dump trailer or 2 ton dump truck.

I checked just about every trailer place I could find locally and in other provinces however it's 30 to 50% cheaper to buy them in the USA, granted it's a bit of a drive but in my case worth it.

I have brought several trailer across the border in the past and it's very easy, if you have the paperwork in order.

musician/lawnman
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Picframer,
I have no idea what a x500 is or a 997 for that matter.... I can tell you one of my zt's is 900 lbs dry + fuel (11.2 gal) + driver ( me at around 200 lbs, but I've had my brother on there before at over 300 lbs) So I've had I guess at times up to 1250 lbs on my ramp doors & I've never had any trouble. That's what they are made for. 12x7 is a good choice too. I have a 12x6 & could use the extra width.

picframer
01-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Picframer,
I have no idea what a x500 is or a 997 for that matter.... I can tell you one of my zt's is 900 lbs dry + fuel (11.2 gal) + driver ( me at around 200 lbs, but I've had my brother on there before at over 300 lbs) So I've had I guess at times up to 1250 lbs on my ramp doors & I've never had any trouble. That's what they are made for. 12x7 is a good choice too. I have a 12x6 & could use the extra width.

Thx bud, neither would wheigh that much, they are John Deere tractors.

Thx
Andy

Steve
01-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Andy keep us posted on what you decide to get!

picframer
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Andy keep us posted on what you decide to get!

Thanks Steve, I have been tempted by the prices of new units on Ebay, issue is the distance to drive to get it, looked into shipping but that put the cost over the top. I have been emailing a company that is about a 7 hour drive from here that sells Royal (still in Canada), anyhow I spoke to the guy this evening and we have a deal on a 7' X 14' Cargo, tandum with brakes, ramp, lights inside, jacks etc., I even have my choice of color and I opted for Green.

It will take about 6 weeks to get it which is fine as we are buried in snow and it has to come in with an order for the quoted price, all in it cost $5,584.00.

I know it sounds like a lot but that seems to be the going rate around here, I could save 40% if I drove to PA but 32 hours of driving to get there and back carries a cost as well.

Anyhow I am glad that is done, now to design some hangers for the inside and dig out the welder...:)

Steve
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
You know you got me thinking. Have you ever thought about starting up a trailer manufacturing business?

picframer
01-21-2009, 04:17 AM
You know you got me thinking. Have you ever thought about starting up a trailer manufacturing business?

Perhaps in different economic times it would be a good idea, there are plenty of trailer places where I live and the lots are full, prices are very high. I have never researched it but one would have to have some pretty extensive capital to automate the manufacturing in order to offer a lower price, just an observation as I have never looked into it.

Have a great day!

Andy

ritchiem
01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
I purchased my trailer from Miska Trailers (http://miskatrailers.com/index_specials.asp) in Hamilton...I do recommend them.

I purchased a RemQ enclosed trailer for the company I used to work for. It was a 23ft tandem with a 6ft bullnose. It has a front and rear drop down door with a man door on the side. We ran a 52" Exmark and a 60" Ransome everyday out of it and never had a problem with the doors or how the held the weight.

picframer
01-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I purchased my trailer from Miska Trailers (http://miskatrailers.com/index_specials.asp) in Hamilton...I do recommend them.

I purchased a RemQ enclosed trailer for the company I used to work for. It was a 23ft tandem with a 6ft bullnose. It has a front and rear drop down door with a man door on the side. We ran a 52" Exmark and a 60" Ransome everyday out of it and never had a problem with the doors or how the held the weight.

Thanks bud, their prices are very good, back to the drawing board I guess:) I really appreciate the tip, their Landscape trailers are really sharp and a lot less than whet I paid.