PDA

View Full Version : I got stuck in the mudd pretty bad last summer...

musician/lawnman
01-18-2009, 10:34 AM
I took these photos in the middle of a really bad day last summer & have been meaning to post them for a while. I was on my way to an estimate about 5 miles down a narrow little road, 1 lane each way & no other route to get there when I hit a stop. A construction crew had the road torn up & there was NOWHERE to turn my truck & trailer around on pavement. I had to take my chances. I cut off to the right side of the shoulder then cut a really tight u turn & when I hit the other side shoulder my truck just sank, my trailer followed & we got stuck..... Bad. I ended up calling a wreaker to pull my rig out. Luckily I know a guy in that business too. Looking back it was funny. That day.... whooooo I was angry.:mad:
Enjoy at my expense!

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
OMG that is stuck....not too bad getting a truck stuck, but the trailer too!!! Was there any damage...or just your pride?

musician/lawnman
01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
It was stuck pretty deep on that right side. & front of the trailer & the hitch of the truck were buried in the mudd. But it was soft **** so when they hooked the cable to the front of the truck & winched me out there was no damage, just a muddy freakin mess.
I was so pissed to start with cause I had driven so far & there was no other way to get to that estimate with that road temporarily blocked off.... I had to turn around & then come back some other day. I was tweeked. So you know how anger can kinda cloud your judgement? That's what happened here!

Steve
01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
That is amazing. Just a little off the road and that can happen WOW!

It makes me wonder would having a truck winch help in such situations or are you still in a bad spot because what would you hook the winch too?

musician/lawnman
01-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah it would have been useless really. I want to put a winch on my ZTR though! My yellow one never gets stuck, but in rainy season that big red one is good for about twice a week.

Steve
01-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah it would have been useless really. I want to put a winch on my ZTR though! My yellow one never gets stuck, but in rainy season that big red one is good for about twice a week.

Do they have winches for mowers? What can you attach them too?

picframer
01-19-2009, 05:41 AM
That is a mess, almost afraid to ask but did you end up getting the contract after this ordeal....

Looking at it I doubt an ATV winch would have pulled it out, I have one on each of mine Warn 4,000 pound pull rating, when a vehicle is stuck like that in the mud it takes a lot of power to pull it out, it would be worth considering one for your mower however, make sure it has a quick release they are so much faster, if you do, get some really heavy rubber, almost the thickness of a tire to wrap around the tree you decide to use, this will elinimate or reduce any damage.

Thanks for the pics!!

musician/lawnman
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
That is a mess, almost afraid to ask but did you end up getting the contract after this ordeal....

Nope, went back another day, walked around this womans estate with her, pointed out problem areas & how I would fix them, built what some nice repore, found some common interests etc.... She went with somebody else who bid the same number.... well, ya can't win em all. Truth be told it was a little further than I like to go off route, I bid it anyway because of the size of the property. Not getting it sucked but then again, getting it kinda would have suck too so no big deal.

justin_time
01-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Reminds me when I did my leaf cleanup in November, I wanted to backup my truck and NEW trailer so I can get closer to dump the leaves into the trailer and put a tarp over it.

Here's a picture of the evidence.

The owner had to call some guy with a bobcat with tracks to come unstuck me because a 4x4 truck couldn't get me out

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/DSC02385-1.jpg

EasyPro
01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
do you guys not buy 4x4 trucks lol

musician/lawnman
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
DJ,
I live in florida man, NO SNOW. & 98% of the time my rig stays on the pavement in front the homes we service. I bought a 2wd just to save the extra 400 lbs & maintenence on a front axle i would never (almost never) use.

justin_time
01-19-2009, 09:12 PM
It's coming... working on it

EasyPro
01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
DJ,
I live in florida man, NO SNOW. & 98% of the time my rig stays on the pavement in front the homes we service. I bought a 2wd just to save the extra 400 lbs & maintenence on a front axle i would never (almost never) use.

Oh okay gotcha that makes sense

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Chuck,

Is that a laptop on your dash?

Keith

musician/lawnman
01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Nah man, That's my clipboard. hehe