PDA

View Full Version : Pay Click Ads

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey guys was wondering if any of you have done this pay click ads. Basically you will have free ads untill someone clicks on your ad then you have to pay. You might pay pennies or you could pay dollars when they click on your ad. Does anyone have this or know more about it.

Steve
01-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Do you mean like advertising on google with google ad words?

CloseCuts
01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Yea thats what I mean. I didn't know if anyone here uses them and roughly how much do they spend if they do. And is it worth it. Like out of all the clicks you get how much business did you get from it?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Well before my blog took off I used AsWords for about a year. Spending anywhere from 30 - 50 per month. It gave me the traffic but never good traffic. Because my blog is non profit sending traffic to the site without making money didn't work for me. I found that most of the AdWord traffic left within 5 seconds.

You really need to be careful on how your word your AdWord ads. Or else you'll notice a big waste of money.

CloseCuts
01-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info ritch

Steve
01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
You really need to be careful on how your word your AdWord ads. Or else you'll notice a big waste of money.

Richard,

For the newer lawn care business owners out there looking to use adwords, do you have any words of advice on what range they should look to be spending with it per month?

If you decided to experiment with adwords to promote your lawn care business, what would you suggest doing?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Well perhaps to clarify a few things.

What are AdWords? AdWords is a online text/banner program that you can enter to advertise your company/products/services. This is provided by Google.com (there are other programs out there, yahoo has one as well) for a fee. If you look on the left column of this site you'll see 'Ads by Google' these are called AdSense ads. That is a program for site owners to place on their sites to sell AdWords ads...still with me? Simple concept really...you pay google to spread the word about your site, and they do that by paying people to show your ads on 'related' content sites. To keep it simple you pay for 'cost per clicks'. So every time someone clicks on your ad you'll have to pay for that click (there is a lot more to it...but again I am keeping it simple). The way payment works is that you load your account with credits and when your credits run out (or quota set by you) your ads stop.

So, if you want to run AdWords for your lawn care business you'll be advertising on sites that are 'related' to lawn care...such as this site, and my site and anyone's site that has related content. So you may not even be reaching your target market (in fact...you probably wont at all). Here is a question...what potential client do you think will click on an ad for your site from another lawn care related site? Unless you are directly selling products via the web and need to reach out to a ton of people...this program may not be for you.

However, on the plus side. Google AdWords get indexed by google.com...that doesn't make sense to me, but they do. Also, doing searches at google.com (this is probably the only real benefit to lco's) say for Orlando lawn care, you may show up in the sponsored links (right hand column of google.com) column...a big maybe.

So to conclude my little speech. Spend your advertisement dollars wisely. I do not recommend this form of adverts for lawn care companies. Bang on doors, drop off flyers, pick up the phone and create a killer website and get your SEO in order.

Steve
01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
However, on the plus side. Google AdWords get indexed by google.com...that doesn't make sense to me, but they do.

Can you tell me what you mean by this?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
When search engines crawl a site and your AdWords ad is displayed the search engines pick it up as a text content. Therefore if your company name is in the 'title' of the ad you'll get more search engine relevant searches for your company name. This interesting search engine quirk does not hold any backlink value though. So it will not help with link popularity or aka link juice.

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
also to ad...when I was doing google AdWords campaigns. I had about 100 pages come up on google if you were to search www.thelawnblog.com because I used that in my 'title' of my ads.

Steve
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
also to ad...when I was doing google AdWords campaigns. I had about 100 pages come up on google if you were to search www.thelawnblog.com because I used that in my 'title' of my ads.

OH WOW

Now that is actually bad I would think. Because your ad may or may not be on that search page when you go to that page.
Also you are paying then to bring people to your site that are looking specifically for you. You shouldn't want that. When people look for you, they should find you first ideally. Would you agree?

Is there any way to focus on localized ads? Say for instance Denver Lawn Care only appearing when people look for denver lawn care? And is that the way they should go about it? Or is there a better way?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
well it all depends on how you look at it...it is not a good thing if you are needing it to be used as link pop...but it is not a bad thing as a form of showing visual popularity.

Also you are paying then to bring people to your site that are looking specifically for you. You shouldn't want that. When people look for you, they should find you first ideally. Would you agree?

I would only hope if you search www.thelawnblog.com or www.gopherforum.com that that search string would be number one. If it is not that would mean that the site is so new that it hasn't been indexed or you are doing something terribly wrong and nobody can help you.

Steve
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
but it is not a bad thing as a form of showing visual popularity.

How is visual popularity helpful?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I believe visual popularity is important. If you can show searchers that your name is 'involved' in several of websites and it can show a sign of trust. Though it may be slightly misleading, it may work in your favor.

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 08:40 PM
and I mean visual popularity in this instance...we all know how important it is to be visual on the net

Steve
01-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Is there any way to focus on localized ads? Say for instance Denver Lawn Care only appearing when people look for denver lawn care? And is that the way they should go about it? Or is there a better way?

ritchiem
01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Adwords geo-targeting quote

"It's important to remember that regionally targeted ads still compete for placement with national ads based on relevancy and price per click since any one keyword can still have a mix of national and regional ads.

Steve
01-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Ahhhhh ok I see. So it does make you wonder how much of it is wasteful. It would be ideal if you could only advertise within a certain area, possibly also based on the ip address of the searcher.

ritchiem
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
yes it does make you wonder...the program (AdWords) has great tracking and good campaigns, but it is hard to nail it on the head...there are just too many variables.

Steve
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
When you think about the value you might get out of adwords vs adding your business to the google Local Business Center (http://www.google.com/local/add/splashPage?hl=en-US&gl=US) listing which is free, it makes you wonder if free is just better in this case.