PDA

View Full Version : Customers Not Paying?

mruiz
01-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Here a web site www.uradeadbeat.com where you can post complaints on your alleged deadbeat customers that owe you. You would post your complaint and then a postcard would be sent to them for a rebuttal.
I personally haven't use it, but it seem like a interesting idea. But if nothing comes of it, I guest it would be another way of blowing off steam.
Mike

Steve
01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
That is a very interesting site.

I do wonder if it is worth anything other than venting.

Would you use this site? If so, what would it do for you?

Adam1
01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Hello All, I am one of the operators of uradeadbeat.com. I just want to say that the site might no be for everyone. We started the site because over the years we have had problems with people paying, or NOT paying, and were running out of options with trying to collect. We do not use this site as a collections site, and that is not it's purpose. It is more of an awareness site for companies/individuals to see what type of poor habits are out there. We have had people email us and tell us that when they have placed companies/indivividuals who have not done the right thing, there was some type of resolution. Our site has been used for posting deadbeat parents, consumers, businesses and more. I will not be on this forum pushing our site, I just wanted to add a little insight to what it is about. It is unfortunate that there is a need for a site like ours, but like Mike and MRUIZ said, even if there is no resolution it is a good way to vent and notify others of what type of individuals you have dealt with. Good luck to all, and hopefully you would never have a reason to utilize us, but we are here if you need to Thanks

Steve
01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Adam,

I love the creativity you have show with your site and as I was looking through the list, it really runs the spectrum of issues.

I could see this site being huge even just for people who want to review all the craziness that is going on. You know what I mean? I guess the site is voyeuristic, kinda like watching videos of crazy situations. This is just in text.

Mike said you send out postcards? How has that effected people getting their payment? How does that issue work? How much does the poster pay for the service etc?

Adam1
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey Steve,

The site is free. We were originally going to charge for people to post, then decided against it. Hopefully we will eventually have enough traffic to charge for advertising. If the person filing the complaint with us has the address of the alleged deadbeat, a post card is generated and mailed to that address. First it lets the alleged deadbeat know that they have been posted and informs them on how to give a rebuttal, we also send email notification if one is provided. In some cases when the individual/business has been made aware that they were put on the site, they have reached out to the poster to try to settle or come to an agreement about the complaint. Others fill out the rebuttal defending their stance on an issue and some just ignore it. What we are really trying to accomplish is to become a resource for people to use, for not only making the public aware of bad practices and ethics, but for individuals/companies to use to see if any of their potential business associates or just people they know have done something questionable.
I will admit there are some interesting posts on the site. We are relatively new, so we'll wait and see where it takes us. Thanks for the interest and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
Thanks
Adam

Steve
01-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Adam,

That is very creative!

I am thinking that you could charge them to send a postcard. Why not offer that as an upsell? Why absorb those costs yourself? That is something if I were doing I would pay for.

What's your thought on it?

Adam1
01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Steve,

I hear ya on that and like I had mentioned before we did consider charging for the service but if people are posting on our site, it means that they have some kind of gripe or issue. I don't know if I feel right making money off of them like that. That's why we are trying to build up traffic to the site, this way we could charge for businesses to advertise.

Steve
01-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I hear ya on that and like I had mentioned before we did consider charging for the service but if people are posting on our site, it means that they have some kind of gripe or issue. I don't know if I feel right making money off of them like that. That's why we are trying to build up traffic to the site, this way we could charge for businesses to advertise.

Well, if it were me, I would make the posting service free. That is fantastic. But then have these upsells.

Offer to send postcards.
Offer to send letters.
Offer to get a bill collector after them.
Offer to sell a booklet on how to use the small claims court system.
Offer to have an attorney send a letter.
plus I am sure you can come up with many many more upsell ideas.

I am telling you I would pay for the upsells and I think others would as well.

What's your thoughts on this?

Adam1
01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey Steve,

Those are really good ideas, and some of them we have considered during the build out of the site. But for now we are just sitting tight and allowing everyone to utilize the site for free. For us, we are really hoping to drive traffic to the site for people to be able to see what's happening out there. So I think we are in a wait and see stage of how we will proceed forward.

Thanks
Adam

Steve
01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Adam,

I applaud you and your creativity. Keep us all posted as you expand your site or if you want to talk about any business or marketing concepts on how to promote it!

jimlewis
02-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I've seen several sites like this over the years. Most of them are gone now. The last and most successful one I remember was clientcheck.net

Great idea. I totally applaud it.

The only problem is it's really not valuable at all unless a LOT of contractors use it, and use it EVERY TIME they get a new customer. And getting that many contractors to start using the site is an almost insurmountable task.

Steve
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
This may be a crazy idea but do you think if you sent a postcard to everyone on the customers block kind of carbon copying them that the invoice is outstanding, do you think something like that would help a lawn care business owner get paid faster? Or would that be an irritant to everyone and reflect badly on you?

"Or maybe you could send a postcard to neighbors saying you are asking for their help, if they happen to see their neighbor 'Joe Smith' could they kindly remind him he has an outstanding invoice? I can't seem to get a hold of him. Thank you."

Would something like that work?

jimlewis
02-11-2009, 01:23 PM
This may be a crazy idea but do you think if you sent a postcard to everyone on the customers block kind of carbon copying them that the invoice is outstanding, do you think something like that would help a lawn care business owner get paid faster? Or would that be an irritant to everyone and reflect badly on you?

"Or maybe you could send a postcard to neighbors saying you are asking for their help, if they happen to see their neighbor 'Joe Smith' could they kindly remind him he has an outstanding invoice? I can't seem to get a hold of him. Thank you."

Would something like that work?

It might work, out of sheer embarrassment for the homeowner who owes you. But I don't think any of those neighbors would ever hire you for anything.

Furthermore, all his neighbors probably trust him more than they do you - some company they don't know. So in his own defense, and in an effort to save face, he'd probably tell them something like, "Oh you gotta be kidding me! They did a horrible job on my lawn. They scalped it and burned it with fertilizer. It's taken me 8 weeks to get it back to looking this good. You damn right I haven't paid them. Would you pay for such poor workmanship? I'll tell you what, these guys are going to be out of business soon with the poor quality of work they do. I am sorry they're harassing you now. That just goes to show how unprofessional this outfit is. Can you believe that?"

Yah, I don't think it would go so well for the contractor to do that.

Steve
02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Good point.

Adam1
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey steve, Just checking in. i have to agree that the customer would probably have a strong relationship with their neighbors, but you never know. Again, that's what makes my site different...when you post them, more than just their neighbors will see it. Plus, people who have been beaten in the past by them might see the name and post along with you.

peace
Adam
www.uradeadbeat.com