PDA

View Full Version : help me please

KYGRASSMAN
01-15-2009, 05:58 PM
last year I started cutting grass, i got about 10 accounts last year, all are still needing my services this year..and ideads on how to exspand me work...i really need at least 50 accounts ths year. also I moved out to the country. its some what populated but big properties any ideas on getting these accounts too?

Steve
01-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi KYGRASSMAN,

Welcome to our site.

What have you been doing thus far to market your business?

KYGRASSMAN
01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
all i really been doing is flyers at the door.....I called all my old customers back asked about there christmas and seen if we was going to continue our buisness....you have any good ideas on marketing.....and also you know anything about dixie chopper mowers...

Steve
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
.I called all my old customers back asked about there christmas and seen if we was going to continue our buisness.

That is fantastic! How did they respond to it? What do you think your turn over rate was from last year to this year? Are 100% of them returning?

Also are you handing out business cards to everyone you know? Are you a member of any community organizations you can use to help promote your services? Do all your friends and family have a bunch of cards from you to help you hand them out as well?

KYGRASSMAN
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
That is fantastic! How did they respond to it? What do you think your turn over rate was from last year to this year? Are 100% of them returning?

Also are you handing out business cards to everyone you know? Are you a member of any community organizations you can use to help promote your services? Do all your friends and family have a bunch of cards from you to help you hand them out as well?

Well so far it is a 100% turnover, got one of my buisnesses thats going threw a hard time right now...but just got 1000 buisness cards off vistaprint.com let everyone know about this site free cards just pay shipping... but everyone has my cards all lawnmower shops have them to give out to....just wondering whats th best promotion... a paper ad is like $350 you know if those generate enough to be worth it

Steve
01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
.just wondering whats th best promotion... a paper ad is like $350 you know if those generate enough to be worth it

I think the best and the cheapest is working your social network. Also have you considered using craigslist.com at all? That is free too.

KYGRASSMAN
01-22-2009, 03:57 AM
yea never thought about doing that at all...what size trailor should i get to hold a 48 and a 36 walkbehind comfortly

EasyPro
01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
yea never thought about doing that at all...what size trailor should i get to hold a 48 and a 36 walkbehind comfortly

Where are you located

KYGRASSMAN
01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
in louisville ky is where all my accounts are at i live right outta louisvile in spencer county....looking for equipment if you know of any at all

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Welcome.

I was in your neck of the woods a couple months ago for the Louisville Lawn and Garden expo. Dixie Chopper was there with a huge display...got to check out their XCaliber series. Any questions I might be able to answer?

Also, when you say a newspaper ad, where in the paper are you placing it? I have done extensive newspaper advertising over the years and can give you some pointers of what works and what doesn't. Don't neglect the free advertising that Steve pointed out too. You need a well rounded marketing plan especially this year when times are a bit tough. Any advantage you can gain will help you.

EasyPro
01-23-2009, 07:55 AM
in louisville ky is where all my accounts are at i live right outta louisvile in spencer county....looking for equipment if you know of any at all

OK cool im in carrollton. I'll be in louisville on the 29th for a HBAL meeting if you wanna meet up for lunch just let me know

KYGRASSMAN
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome.

Also, when you say a newspaper ad, where in the paper are you placing it? I have done extensive newspaper advertising over the years and can give you some pointers of what works and what doesn't. Don't neglect the free advertising that Steve pointed out too. You need a well rounded marketing plan especially this year when times are a bit tough. Any advantage you can gain will help you.

Keith

It would be in the classifeid section of the paper...and the craigslist was done about 2 minutes after i read it...cant beleive i didnt even think of that

KYGRASSMAN
01-23-2009, 10:36 AM
OK cool im in carrollton. I'll be in louisville on the 29th for a HBAL meeting

What it a hbal meeting.....so you live in carrollton, i used to deliver electric motors down there every day to NAS you any where near there

EasyPro
01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
What it a hbal meeting.....so you live in carrollton, i used to deliver electric motors down there every day to NAS you any where near there

Yep bout ten min from NAS i live right in town . . . HBAL is Home Builders Association of Louisville. I am an associate member, and we are having a meeting at 2 so I'm heading down that morning to bid some jobs and then to my meeting then come back to carrollton to class at 6 . . . I have a job coming up cleaning part of a building over on crittenden dr when it warms up

Steve
01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Yep bout ten min from NAS i live right in town . . . HBAL is Home Builders Association of Louisville. I am an associate member, and we are having a meeting at 2 so I'm heading down that morning to bid some jobs and then to my meeting then come back to carrollton to class at 6 . . . I have a job coming up cleaning part of a building over on crittenden dr when it warms up

I think it is fantastic you take part in these meetings. Can you give us a little advice on how to get the most out of such meetings? How do you use them to market your business?

EasyPro
01-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I think it is fantastic you take part in these meetings. Can you give us a little advice on how to get the most out of such meetings? How do you use them to market your business?

How to Network at an Association Meeting
Did you know that approximately 70 percent of all jobs are found through networking?

Needless to say, effective networking is vital to your continued business success. Very rarely
does business just “fall into our laps.” Instead, successful business partnerships are created when
we make an effort to target potential customers, establish communication, and cultivate longterm
relationships.

As a member of the home builders association, you should try to take full advantage of all the
business-building opportunities of your membership. By getting actively involved in the
association, you can develop a substantial network of business contacts. There is nothing like
working side-by-side with another member on a committee or community project to learn what
really makes them tick, and to show them what you are all about. But to get to that point, you
first have to master the basics of networking, the first step toward connecting with other people.
Below are the “Top 10” secrets for networking. Feel free to adapt these basics to your own
approach, and develop a networking style that feels most natural and honest to you. You will be
networking like a professional in no time!

BEFORE THE MEETING
1. Develop a memorable introduction for yourself. It should be brief (five to seven seconds)
yet intriguing. “Hello, my name is Joe Builder, and I help people landscape the homes of
their dreams.”
2. Put your business cards in only one pocket of your jacket. Leave the other pocket free to
put in business cards from your new contacts. This way, you will look prepared when you
pull your card out easily from one pocket instead of fishing through a pile of cards.

3. Check your appearance (and your breath)! You only get about ten seconds to make a first
impression. Why take any chances?

DURING THE MEETING
4. Smile! Be friendly and show enthusiasm. People are drawn to pleasant people.

5. Ask questions and, above all, listen to the answers. A general membership meeting is also
a social function. Give and get information. Ask other members how long the have been
involved in the association, what committees they serve on, or if they have ever heard the
guest speaker before. Find out what interests them and keep on that subject. You do not
have to know much about the topic; the important thing is to simply establish a good
dialogue.
6. Do not sell. Do not sell. Do not sell! This point cannot be emphasized enough!
Networking is a means of giving and getting information; it is a mutually beneficial
exchange. It is not a one-way street for you to make sales. It is not making one party feel
intruded upon at an event that was intended to be fun. This is a great opportunity to find out
about a person’s interests in a relaxed atmosphere, and to let him know how you can help
him in the future; but do not try and close a deal at a monthly meeting or any other social
event. There is a time for everything, and this is not the time.
7. Hand out your business card wisely. If it is not suitable to the conversation, or if you have
not even really had a conversation, keep your card in your pocket. Use your business card as
a means to follow-up a personal exchange and as a way for that person to remember you.
8. Moderate your eating and drinking. Do not drink too much, and do not be the first person
in the buffet line. Good manners still matter a lot, especially when you are making a first
impression.

AFTER THE MEETING
9. Follow-up with the contacts you have made. If you told someone at the meeting about a
recipe she would enjoy, send it immediately with a handwritten note. Did you see a
magazine article on that product a particular builder member was talking about? Mail it to
him with a personalized message. Such small courtesies are remembered for a long time.
10. Volunteer for any committee or association activity that you expect the targeted
customer to attend, based on your earlier conversations. Volunteering for the association is
one of the best ways to show your trustworthiness and commitment as a partner in the
industry, and one of the best opportunities to work next to builders. Whether that means
sponsoring an event or joining a committee or council, you can be pro-active in your
networking strategies without being aggressive.
Remember, the follow-up contact you make after the meeting is just as important as your initial
encounter. Treat the potential customer or client as you would like to be treated, and you will
definitely be on the right track to increased sales.

Steve
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Great information!

One of the points I find most fascinating is this one.

6. Do not sell. Do not sell. Do not sell! This point cannot be emphasized enough!
Networking is a means of giving and getting information; it is a mutually beneficial
exchange. It is not a one-way street for you to make sales. It is not making one party feel
intruded upon at an event that was intended to be fun. This is a great opportunity to find out
about a personís interests in a relaxed atmosphere, and to let him know how you can help
him in the future; but do not try and close a deal at a monthly meeting or any other social
event. There is a time for everything, and this is not the time.

We all have this urge to fulfill our immediate gratification desires. We want to go to a meeting 'make it worth our time' by leaving with sales. If we don't then we may feel like this meeting was worthless. However, this point really hammers home, the meetings are there to allow you to meet others, who down the road will help you grow financially.

Have you found this to be the case too? Is it difficult to not try and make sales on the spot some how? Or what is your view on this?

Also which point did you find most important from your list?