PDA

View Full Version : chemicals used in flower beds

CloseCuts
01-14-2009, 11:13 PM
So what type of chemicals does everyone use for edges and in flower beds?

Steve
01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi Closecuts,

There is a post here that might be helpful.

Weed control in landscape beds (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=5724)

Let us know what you decide to go with.

ritchiem
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I used to use round up in large mulch beds. But now I just use my hands. It is getting hard to find customers that support chem apps now anyhow. Plus I am more organic then ever.

clarklandscaping
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
So what type of chemicals does everyone use for edges and in flower beds?

Second vote for roundup but in those large areas, including rock driveways I use a propane tank with a torch attached and just burn them. Its much more cost effective compared to roundup but you cant use it if there is mulch of course.

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Second vote for roundup but in those large areas, including rock driveways I use a propane tank with a torch attached and just burn them. Its much more cost effective compared to roundup but you cant use it if there is mulch of course.

Haha, propane. I saw an ad in the back of a lawn care trade mag. for a propane weed burner a couple weeks ago.

BTW, you need an applicator's license to commercially spray Round-Up. I wonder if a license or permit is required to use propane. :confused:

I will have to check on that.

clarklandscaping
01-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Haha, propane. I saw an ad in the back of a lawn care trade mag. for a propane weed burner a couple weeks ago.

BTW, you need an applicator's license to commercially spray Round-Up. I wonder if a license or permit is required to use propane. :confused:

I will have to check on that.

No license needed where i do business, i did check before hand.

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-16-2009, 12:26 PM
For some reason, I am picturing John Goodman from that scene in Arachnaphobia when he's trying to kill the spider.

Have you seen it?

Steve
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Great movie and visual!

http://www.dvdrama.com/upload/soundwave-Arachnophobia5.jpg

jimlewis
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, there are two types of weed control for planting beds.

1) Post-emergent, like Round-up, Clear-out, etc.

2) Pre-emergent, like Cassaron, Snapshot and Dimension

The post emergents kill existing weeds, usually via spray. The pre-emergents PREVENT weeds from occuring.

For post emergent, we use Round-up Pro or one of the various generic versions of Round-up Pro. I think that's pretty much the industry standard for post emergent herbicides.

For pre-emergents, I prefer to use Cassaron. Only problem is cassaron also acts like a post-emergent and kills stuff too. It will leech downhill of where it is applied and kill whatever grass or weedy substance it comes in contact with. So you have to be very careful using Cassaron. Also, it's important to understand the difference between regular Cassaron 1G that you buy in stores like Home Depot and the stronger Cassaron 4G that is sold to landscapers in wholesale landscape supply stores. The latter is 4x stronger and you don't have to use nearly as much. This is where having the applicator's license comes in handy. You have to learn this kind of stuff to get it.

If there is something important downhill of where I want to apply the pre-emergent, then I will not use Cassaron. In that case, we'll use Snapshot. That's a great product!