PDA

View Full Version : discouraged

Phil R
01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
We put out just under 2k fliers Fri/Sat with a killer offer.

It is central florida and the grass slows down but keeps growing some.

We offered a killer deal (PM me for details) and as of yet have had zero calls.

Might be too early to say but I did expect 1-3 calls at least.

Feed back?

I would post the idea but if you recall, I posted the idea elsewhere. I will link a few my website if wished.

Am I just too anxious?

ritchiem
01-11-2009, 10:47 AM
have you put out flyers before and what was the success? It is winter here now and we are under 3 feet of snow so I really have no experience in putting out flyers during the down season.

Steve
01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Phil,

I'd like to hear what the offer was. Maybe that effected the results and we can help you analyze it more.

musician/lawnman
01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Phil,

Don't sweat it. The grass grows slower now & it's not really a priority for people, Some may hold onto the flyer & call you in the spring. I've found I rarely pick up new clientel this time of year. If you do it usually because their current provider did something to really piss them off so they fired him. Even then, they ussually wait til the lawn really needs it bad to hire a new guy so you get alot of calls & overgrown lawns in like april, may, & june.
During those months just before it gets hot (to get your info infront of the snowbirds before they leave) & during growing season is really when advertising is much more effective. During the growing months I ramp up my advertising by over 400%. Right now I just pay the monthly dues for the phone books & keep the website up & running.
Keep your chin up man! It will come.

legendlawn
01-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Phil, dont be discouraged. I hand out fliers all year long here in Wichita, Kansas. Only on warmer days in the winter though. Normally my response rate is 1-2 percent. However in the winter it decreases dramatically. I still hand out the fliers though, because even though they are not responding they are still seeing your company name, which is never a bad thing. So keep on truckin and they will call. Like Chuck said, some also hold on to the flyers and call in in the spring

Steve
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
What have you found to be the best offers to make in flyers during the winter months?

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Yea man don't get down. Its hit and miss with flyers and doorhangers. I handed out 5000 this fall and got 5 calls. Got every job and paid for it but was hoping for more. The funnything was one of the areas I handed out to my brother-in-law went through and went door to door and got a dozen jobs a couple weeks after i had handed them out. You just got to keep with it and it will get better. Once the ball starts moving its hard to stop. But just keep it going forward.

Steve
01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
the areas I handed out to my brother-in-law went through and went door to door and got a dozen jobs a couple weeks after

Did you get a chance to see his flyer? How did it compare / contrast with yours? What was different that could have made such different results or do you feel this was all just a matter of timing?

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
No Steve I didn't see his flyer. Sometimes its how the flyer grabs your attention or doesnt but I've found that its normally a matter of timing

Steve
01-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Do you think you will time your marketing differently this year than you did last year? If so, what would you change?

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
This year I think I was a little early. But also I think the economy had a little to do with it too. People were waiting untill the last minute to get there fall clean-up. I was the first person to hand out flyers in this one big developement and I saw another set of doorhanger flyers a week later and then a week or so after that my brother-in-law went through and knocked on the doors and got alot of jobs. I think it takes people a few times to see something before they want to get it done.

Steve
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Do you think in the future you would wait a couple of extra weeks or would you just go out and canvas the area twice at different times?

CloseCuts
01-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm not really sure. I think i'm going to do the same dates again this year and see how it works out. If it doesnt get any better i will just change it up by a week the next year. It takes a lot of time by yourself to go hand out those flyers. So if you don't get enough work from them you could end up losing money because you have the time it takes to hand out the flyers plus the cost of them.

cklandscapingorlando
01-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I watch the big box stores.They spend millions in research so when they start to ad for out door,you do the same.Central Florida has so many guys doing fliers, its hard to get a responce.My fliers have the price for that house on it so if they dont like the price they dont call.It also has every thing they will get for the money ie. monthly,weekly,or bi weekly.Then a coupon for landscaping

Steve
01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I watch the big box stores.They spend millions in research so when they start to ad for out door,you do the same.

I am guessing you mean like outdoor furniture or maybe even mowers? When have you found they start putting these ads out?

My fliers have the price for that house on it so if they dont like the price they dont call.It also has every thing they will get for the money ie. monthly,weekly,or bi weekly.Then a coupon for landscaping

I have seen quite a bit of a debate if a lawn care business owner should put a price on their flyer. What made you decide to do it?

Phil R
01-19-2009, 05:04 AM
I watch the big box stores.They spend millions in research so when they start to ad for out door,you do the same.Central Florida has so many guys doing fliers, its hard to get a responce.My fliers have the price for that house on it so if they dont like the price they dont call.It also has every thing they will get for the money ie. monthly,weekly,or bi weekly.Then a coupon for landscaping

Awesome thinking.

cklandscapingorlando
01-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Well I put my price on them because down hear you get alot of tire kickers.They want the cheapest guy so they'll call anyone who gives them a number.Also you get those one time cuts calling because families coming and the grass is 3ft. tall.I dont have time for games.This is what you get, this is your price as I view the front and my knowledge of the avr. back in the area.The price can go up if the back has alot of work or I have to use my 36.I've gotten as good or beyyer responce than avr. I think.We put out 1000 fliers and pulled 3 clients.The problem is when its time to do fliers its also time to work.That time will depend on where you are and early or late winter.I would say as soon as the grass gets some green to it and they see its alot taller than they thought

Phil R
01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Im digging your posts.

I appreciate all the advice guys.

Steve
01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Im digging your posts.

I appreciate all the advice guys.

I am learning too!

Well I put my price on them because down hear you get alot of tire kickers.They want the cheapest guy so they'll call anyone who gives them a number.Also you get those one time cuts calling because families coming and the grass is 3ft. tall.

I think this is fascinating. Not too long ago I was having a discussion about this with a lawn care business owner and he was telling me he was against putting his prices on his flyer because he wanted to be there in person to talk with the potential customer and he thought that was the best way to make a sale. He felt being in person allowed him to use his sales skills that his flyers could just not do alone.

What are your thoughts on this?

musician/lawnman
01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Steve,

That's always been my train of thought, I think meetin them face to face helps & I'd also like to think my clients aren't nessasarily hiring me on price alone. I'm not the most expensive guy in town... but I certainly am not striving to be the cheapest so alittle salesmanship may come into play.

Steve
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess on one side, you can say I put my prices on the flyer and the customer can take it or leave it and if they call they are basically saying I know your price and I am willing to pay that.

On the other side is the customer that calls for an estimate, you walk the property with them and give them a price and they flinch and say no. Then you wasted your time going over there and giving the estimate.

The thing I wonder is, ultimately can you command a higher fee by making the presentation in person, because isn't that what an estimate is? A sales presentation?

If you can command a higher price, does it make it worth your while over other estimates you may have went on but didn't get?

musician/lawnman
01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
If you can command a higher price, does it make it worth your while over other estimates you may have went on but didn't get?

It's worth it to me!
Your not going to get every estimate.
1) You can't take rejection personally when your in sales.
2) If your getting every single job you estimate YOU ARE LOWBALLING.

To make a "sale" they have to buy the PERSON, the PRODUCT, & the PRICE
If your not there in PERSON presenting the full value of the PRODUCT then they are only buying the PRICE. You didn't "make the sale", You are "ON SALE"!

Take the time to meet your customers, yeah you'll waste time on some but you'll be more profitable & both you & the client will be happier doing business together. You may meet some people & see a personality problem right off the bat... Then you can decline to estimate or work for them (I've done that once) or price it high enough it's worthwhile even if they are a pain in the ***!

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Great debate on this theme.

I've always leaned on the side of giving prices only during final negotiation. It's hard to convey your work ethic which justifies your price without a face-to-face meeting.

Though there are lots of tire kickers, I've found equal numbers of people will wait until their lawn needs attention right away. Once they call, they are ready to make a deal. If you can demonstrate the skillset needed to make their lawns look great, you can often command higher prices at these final meetings.

On-the-other-hand, if your price is on your flyer you've already set a ceiling which is difficult to raise.

Good opinions on both sides.

Keith

cklandscapingorlando
01-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Guys I dont know where you live but in Orlando each devolopment is built the same from one end to the other.When you pull in this yard is the same as that.Now I carry 3 fliers with 3 prices for that perticular devolopment.I dont negotiate if its not comercial or high end res.In that case you cant flier.The standard rate here is 25 a cut,low ballers are at 20,and jerk offs are at 15.I'm at 30+ or 100+ a month.Many companies sale through paper.If you present your self the right way in writting you can very easily set your self apart from the rest.I play up our BMP certification through IFAS and UF.Its best management practices with a leaning towards water conservation and limiting pesticied run off.Its a 20 dollar class that last 1/2 a day but 99% of landscapers dont have it and 99.9 of people dont know it dont mean much.3 for a 1000 would be 15 for 5000 and thats not bad.Besides I keep them in my truck to hand to people when they walk up and that has about 75% success rate without talking.Hey it works for me but may not for you huh

Steve
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
That is a very good point that must be taken into account. There are areas in the country where all the properties are the same.

When you have all these properties that are the same, are there anythings you can upsell to them to make more of a profit each time you are there?

cklandscapingorlando
01-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Well every house is'nt the same but within each devolopment they are the same from one to the next.So each devolopment you set up 3 fliers.I print my fliers with a blank spot for each payment method.I highlight the monthly portion because its the best deal.One flier is for regualar lots.One for cornor lots.Then one for the one's with a little extra.
As far as up-sales go you have mulch,trees,landscaping,and any thing else.You always keep blank fliers on hand just in case you find one that dont fit the norm but for the most part it's straight forward here.

TOUJOURS PRET
01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
You should try the book Stop Lowballing. It is very helpful. Did you do as I call meet and greet? When did you distribute these flyers? If not try knocking on doors when they are home and make a visual, by this I mean meet them and talk face to face as well.

Steve
01-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you do as I call meet and greet? When did you distribute these flyers? If not try knocking on doors when they are home and make a visual, by this I mean meet them and talk face to face as well.

Great thoughts!

What kind of ice breaker do you find has worked best for you? How do you get the homeowners attention enough to talk?

Phil R
01-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Good question. No. We did not knock.

I say 'we' when I mean 'they'. I had three guys passing out the fliers. Good guys, friends....like to smile and talk.

No one seemed interested at the time. But..they only spoke with those who were out at the time.

I have thought about knocking myself and simply saying "I am the guy who will do the work...here's my card...if your guys drops the ball, give me the chance..."

cklandscapingorlando
01-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Whos low ballin?

Steve
01-25-2009, 07:40 AM
"I am the guy who will do the work...here's my card...if your guys drops the ball, give me the chance..."

I think that is very creative and it would be memorable! Business card magnets might work well in this situation as well.

In fact, can you imagine a business card magnet that said that.

"If your lawn care guy drops the ball, give me a call."

That could work out to be a great motto!

TOUJOURS PRET
01-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Great thoughts!

What kind of ice breaker do you find has worked best for you? How do you get the homeowners attention enough to talk?

I go house to house in an edition where I know the people take care of yards and either themselves or someone else and have even done this with HOA's. Just find someone on the board and introduce yourself to him/ her. I just go to the doors and introduce myself and tell them the specials, references and just do my best to sell them.