PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero

Steve
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I got a chance to play Guitar Hero the other night and I have got to say it is SICK! SICK! What an awesome crazy game with an awesome interface! I was playing the guitar and on the basic to medium setting and it was insane. Then I loaded up this video on youtube and found this one. OH WOW this would be impossible to play.

Have you ever tried this game?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYdjqWK0tlU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYdjqWK0tlU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ritchiem
01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I have played guitar hero and rock bank...both games are tons of fun. And that video you posts is too crazy to even watch.

Steve
01-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I was trying to play Metallica's Battery on the medium setting and I felt like I had no hand eye coordination after that. It was ridiculous. Seeing this higher level just blows my mind. Next maybe I should try the drums :D

EatingEmoKids
01-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I dont own either of them but a few friends own guitar hero and rock band so I've played them both. Tons of fun for sure! and that guy is nuts, i cant imagine playing dragon force on guitar hero or even on real guitar for that matter. those guys are ridiculously fast :cool:

musician/lawnman
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
I've been a guitarist for going on 20 years. I've played guitar hero once. It made me feel like a retard. The game made me fight every instinct I have about playing guitar. The strumming often doesn't match the actual strum patterns you would use to really play the song, & then sometimes in the game note proggressions that go down in tone go up the neck of the toy guitar on the screen, which conradicts finger motions you'd use to actually play the song. Cool game, I could see how the average non-muician would like it. I know some musicians that love the game (like the rythem guitarist in my band). but I hated it. It made me incredibly frustrated. I had to put it down & pick up a real guitar just to make sure It was the game that was off & not my brain. I have never really been able to read music, and even with tableture "tab" (which is like cheating sheet music for guitarists that just tells you what fret & string to play).... I can learn music faster & more efficiently by ear. I can play almost anything I hear. I think that's why... my mind is in the listen & learn mode which I apparently couldn't shut off enough to just look at the screen & just do what it says visually.

EatingEmoKids
01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
I've been a guitarist for going on 20 years. I've played guitar hero once. It made me feel like a retard. The game made me fight every instinct I have about playing guitar. The strumming often doesn't match the actual strum patterns you would use to really play the song, & then sometimes in the game note proggressions that go down in tone go up the neck of the toy guitar on the screen, which conradicts finger motions you'd use to actually play the song. Cool game, I could see how the average non-muician would like it. I know some musicians that love the game (like the rythem guitarist in my band). but I hated it. It made me incredibly frustrated. I had to put it down & pick up a real guitar just to make sure It was the game that was off & not my brain. I have never really been able to read music, and even with tableture "tab" (which is like cheating sheet music for guitarists that just tells you what fret & string to play).... I can learn music faster & more efficiently by ear. I can play almost anything I hear. I think that's why... my mind is in the listen & learn mode which I apparently couldn't shut off enough to just look at the screen & just do what it says visually.

Even tho I'm one of those guys who often uses a cheat sheet when available (although I've gottn a lot better at playing by ear) I agree with the game going against everything you do playing an actual guitar. I often try and play the notes I hear and not what I see and it kills me cause I'm not good enough to play on hard most of the time, so I play on medium and I'm trying to strum and play notes I hear, even tho I'm only supposed to be playing like half of them haha

Steve
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I've been a guitarist for going on 20 years. I've played guitar hero once. It made me feel like a retard.

HAHAHAHAH I totally felt this way too! My hand also like froze up wrapped around the guitar and I had to wave it after each song to relax it. Jeeze I thought I had at least alright timing but when I played that game I felt like my timing was HORRIBLE! I also couldnt figure out if it was better to kinda strum the switch or hold it and click it up and down as the notes came.

musician/lawnman
01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I also couldnt figure out if it was better to kinda strum the switch or hold it and click it up and down as the notes came.

I grabbed a pick

toxicweirdo
01-11-2009, 02:46 PM
The strumming often doesn't match the actual strum patterns you would use to really play the song, & then sometimes in the game note proggressions that go down in tone go up the neck of the toy guitar on the screen, which conradicts finger motions you'd use to actually play the song.

I would have to agree I use to play bass and yeah once you get the rythem and going with the beat hearing the way that the song flows you do have to fight your insinct to want to strum instead of playing with the game. But I have beat G/H 2 at least four times on medium but I can't imagine doing that though.

toxicweirdo
01-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I grabbed a pick

I would always just strum up and not down like I was plucking the sting, But this is coming from someone who used to play bass , and that is how I would play the bass.

OOOPS I hit the wrong quote button, this is the one I meant to hit.....

" I also couldnt figure out if it was better to kinda strum the switch or hold it and click it up and down as the notes came"

Steve
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Yea that is a good idea. Like finger picking. I gotta try that next time.

In the video, the guy playing it must be using an up and down technique on the picking. I just can't imagine any other way to get the speed he got without doing it that way.