PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Christmas Cards

Steve
01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I know this is late for this year, but it is early for next.

I saw this great video on sending out Christmas cards and I wanted to cover some of the topics. Let's talk about some do's and some don'ts.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnK7sWI-B20&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnK7sWI-B20&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Don't:

Put a return address on your Christmas card. ( It will help it get opened faster )
Don't use a pre-printed mailing address label.
Don't use a postage meter.
Don't send cards to everyone in your customer list.
Don't put any marketing material or business cards in them.
Don't use a pre-printed card with a generic message.

Do:
Choose the top 10% of your customers to send cards too.
Send the other 90% e-cards.
Use a holiday themed stamp on your card. (It makes it look more personalized)
Hand write the address on the envelope.
Use some fun holiday stickers on the envelope.
Personalize the inside of the card with a sentence or two to the customer.
Consider sending out 1 card a day between Nov1 and Dec 15th so as not to overwhelm yourself.

Can anyone think of any other do's and dont's?

Steve
12-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Is anyone sending out holiday cards or Christmas cards this year?

justin_time
12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Put a return address on your Christmas card. ( It will help it get opened faster )

How is the post office suppose to know who it comes from if by accident someone changed your address or card has to be returned to sender ?

I usually just don't put my name and put the mailing address.

I've sent my cards on Dec. 4th already. I've put a personal message in all of them. I've sent some to my 4 schools that I did this summer, my suppliers (gas, supplies, dealer)

My customer need to spend more than $100 on services to get a card.

What are your thoughts ?

CHEESE2009
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm sending mine soon.

I thought I'd wait for the snow so people can relate more to the card, being it a seasonal thing.

When there is no snow & I send out a winter holiday card, people go, "Oh god, don't remind me of the snow" negative.

But when it's snowing, the already got past the negative & are looking forward to celebrating & such.

Most importantly, the video forgot to mention ONE critical thing.

Happy Holiday cards are better than "Merry Christmas"

not everyone celebrates Christmas!!!!

Suckers!!! hO ho Ho!!!

wellbiz
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I know this thread is a year old. However I am getting ready to send out holiday cards to my client list. I want to include a personalized message in each one and was hoping some of you guys might share a example of what you included/wrote in the message.

I am not sure what to say.

Jay

Steve
11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I would think the best thing to do, if you know your customers well enough, would be to include a note that the customer would feel is personalized to them. That you took the time to listen to them and remember something about them and then write it down.

Maybe mention their kids, pets, hobbies they like something that is dear to them.

wellbiz
11-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks Steve! I was thinking along the same lines. I just don't want it to come off as a marketing piece, but instead a sincere wish for a happy holiday and a thanks for their business.

Not sure yet how I am going to sign the cards: just my name, or name and company. I have even scene name, company and phone number used by some companies/contractors. However that might be crossing the line into marketing piece. However I can see the merit.

Jay

Steve
11-29-2010, 09:38 AM
It seems from many discussions on here that most lawn care businesses and businesses in general try to keep the marketing to a bare minimum if at all.

I guess you can go either way, full blown marketing or none but either way you go, you are reaching out to your customers because they are going to know who you are.

It's a great question we should make a poll out of.

picframer
11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Ours are gone, we include a photo of the staff. All are hand written, takes quite a while as we do over 300 jobs a year.

justin_time
11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Ordered my cards which they have been sitting at the border waiting for it to clear which I don't get because I payed my duty through UPS with credit card.
Blah ! I am starting to hate this import

Steve
12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd love to see what you get!

Have the design of your Christmas cards changed over last year? Are there any things you are trying that are different this year?

wellbiz
12-08-2010, 08:33 AM
It seems from many discussions on here that most lawn care businesses and businesses in general try to keep the marketing to a bare minimum if at all.

I guess you can go either way, full blown marketing or none but either way you go, you are reaching out to your customers because they are going to know who you are.

It's a great question we should make a poll out of.

Steve,

Sent out the Holiday cards to all my clients yesterday. I decided to not include any marketing material. I hand wrote the envelopes and a nice message in each card. Then I signed it with my name and the company name. I will let you know if I get any response or feedback from my clients.

Thanks for the help.

Jay

justin_time
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
These are the ones I got

http://www.cardscheaper.com/images/sw-00193.jpg

Steve
12-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I will let you know if I get any response or feedback from my clients.

Looking forwards to it.

Justin, nice cards!

justin_time
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Justin, nice cards!

Good ol' House of Cards again..