PDA

View Full Version : Woman burned on 95% of body

Don5153
01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.wptv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=10168

She was a great person. She came into the garden center a lot. Just remember this could happen to any of us. Check you equipment daily!!!!!

Be SAFE !!!!!!!

Steve
01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Don,

Welcome to our forum.

HOLY CRAP! That is so crazy! Oh I feel so bad for her!

It makes you wonder if there should be an extinguisher on every mower or would that have helped?

Anyone have any thoughts on how this could have happened?

ritchiem
01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Fuel lines dry out over time causing them to leak. There could have been a faulty plug wire that caused an arc or fuel leaking on the exhaust. Many things could have happened.

Our prayers are with her and her family.

Don5153
01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
We think maybe the fuel line rubbed through, then dripped on the spark plug. We don't know, just assuming.

My wife got to know her pretty well in the 2 years, she came to the garden center. I just can't believe it happened 1st, then we knew her, just blows your mind. I will just pray for the family. WOW!!!!!

Steve
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Don,

Do you know who we could send cards too or money to help the family out?

Don5153
01-10-2009, 01:24 PM
At the end of the news, the anchor Jamie Holmes of Channel 5, left his phone number 561-653-5716. I left Mr. Holmes a message asking where we could send cards or money to help the family. As soon as he calls back, I will leave the info.

I posted his phone number because in his news spot, Jamie Holmes asked people to call for more information.

Steve
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Ok keep us posted. I did a search for her, Jenny Szehner, but didn't find anything.

Oh wait, I did another search and found this.

http://southflorida.blockshopper.com/property/00424434260005490/6187_oak_royal_drive/

Jeannie L Szehner
6187 Oak Royal Drive, Greenacres, FL 33463

Could this possibly be it?

Steve
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Here is the article
PALM BEACH COUNTY, FL (http://www.wptv.com/mostpopular/story/Woman-burned-on-95-of-body/V9cjPmPJIUKDIcH0ZgTn6w.cspx) ** Eric Szehner is a big man.

When he shakes your hand, it's a bear of a grip. And watching his lip quiver when he speaks about his wife is nothing short of heartbreaking.

"If the Lord did this for a reason, I hope he's done with me, because I don't think I could take much more," he says.

Thirty-six year old Jeannie Szehner owns her own lawn service.

Ten days ago in suburban Lake Worth she was riding a lawn mower and was backing it out of her trailer.

Nobody knows exactly what happened next, but for some reason the mower exploded. Jeannie was covered with fuel and fire and with nothing around her but concrete, she had nothing to do but burn.

Another landscaper saw her on fire and started throwing sand on her, but it was too late.

All of the skin, except for the very top of her head, had burned off her body.

"She doesn't have any skin. They're pouring as much liquid into her as they can, but it's like filling a sponge. They put it in and it leaks right out," says Eric.

Jeannie is in a coma at Ryder Trauma Center in Miami.

Eric and the children are at a loss.

Jeannie was the primary income, and without her there's no telling what's going to happen.

Eric has insurance, but already they've been slapped with eleven thousand dollars in bills.

All this from a lawnmower.

Eric doesn't know what's going to happen to his wife, but he knows what he wishes he would have said to her on the morning she left for work.

"Say good-bye and that you love your wife and if you forget, call her back. Don't go back in the house and say you love them, because you never know what's going to happen."

jdobbin14
01-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I think this just gives everybody another reason to at least put a fire extinguisher in the trailer. I don't know if even that would have helped her, but if somebody else would have been with her or the other landscaper could have grabbed that. It would have at least helped more than the sand. Her and her family will be in our prayers. God be with her and her family!!!

musician/lawnman
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
This is horrible, I wish it was closer to me so I could maintain some accounts for them for free to help keep the family in some kind of income. That is just god aweful. yeah I'll be adding an extinguisher to my rig this week. God help them.

Don5153
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
We spoke with Mr. Holmes from Channel 5 News, the family is in the process of setting up a bank account, for cards & donations. Mr. Holmes will contact us Monday with the information. I'll keep you posted, Thanks Donnie

Also musician/lawnman that's a great idea, I will contact the family and try to help out with the maintenance accounts.

Steve
01-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Don keep us updated on her status too if you can.

I am looking forwards to hearing how we can contact them and help out. I will do my best here to get the word out and try and get as many of our fellow entrepreneurs involved to help this family.

Thank you Don!

FaccLndscpng
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Sorry to hear this unfortunate news, but its a wakeup to all of us and as of 1/20/09 I added a fire extinguisher to my set up, you would think I would have after my old red max walk behind cought fire, nothing compared to this story though, but it took something like this to get me moving.

Robin1234
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Jeannie Moon Szehner

Family-Placed Obituary

JEANNIE MOON SZEHNER Jeannie Moon Szehner 36, passed away January 26, 2009 at Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital nearly four weeks after a tragic accident left her with severe burns over 95% of her body. Jeannie was born on August 7, 1972 in West Palm Beach, FL. She attended Palm Beach County Schools. In 1991 she married Eric Szehner and together they have three children. Jeannie was a stay at home mother for many years and in the past year she started a lawn service business with her cousin. Jeannie loved spending time with her family and being outdoors. Jeannie is survived by her husband, Eric Szehner; children, Christopher, Mercedes and Alexis all of Royal Palm Beach; two sets of parents; Patric and Wendy Moon of St, Cloud, FL, Marta and Julio Romano of Melbourne Beach, FL; three brothers, Duane (Diane) Moon of Manitowoc, WI, Steven (Danielle) Moon of Melbourne Beach, FL, Bryan (Amanda) Moon of Port St Lucie, FL; step-grandparents, Myron and Donna Gusse, eight nieces, nine nephews, numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. She was preceded in death by her grandparents, Maria and Adriano Santos and Daniel and Elizabeth Moon all of West Palm Beach. There will be a Celebration of Life February 7, 2009 at the Center Drive Pavillion, John Prince Park, Lake Worth, FL from noon to 4:00 PM. To express condolences and/or make donations Visit PalmBeachPost.com/obituaries

Steve
01-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh that is so sad! Thank you for sharing the news with us. I hadn't heard any updates.

XtreemGreen
06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Very late post, but wow.. I thought my life sucked.. I feel so bad for this family.. I wished I lived closer to help them out..

Looks like Scag need to do some improvments on there stuff..

Best wishes to that family..

Did anyone get any info for donations or cards?

Steve
06-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Did anyone get any info for donations or cards?

Nope we never did.