PDA

View Full Version : New Snow Removal Need HELP!!!!!!

Michaelmacchiarella
01-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi my names michael Im 16 and I have always wanted to start my own snowremoval and lawncare business but I guess you would say im green when it comes to it I kinda have a good idea on what ima need on the lawncare side but I would really appericiate any help I could get with the snow removal side any and all help would be great I already have a snowplow on my atv but I know thats not gonna cut it any help with prices and types of equipt and help with salting,sanding,and deicing prices I would like the jump on and hopefully get in sometime this winter the problem is I live in northwest indiana and the winter snow events are scarted and hard to predict anyone with help and ideas plz leave a post thanks

Michael Macchiarell

Steve
01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi Mike,

Did you happen to see the snow plow estimate calculator (http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341) I have available for you to use?

Also check out some of the videos I have on the snow plow topic here.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TeamGopher&view=videos

Let me know if any of that helps.

Michaelmacchiarella
01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah I did but idk how much it would help me cuz im just starting out and currently I just have an atv with a plow on it n if I needed to I could put a blower or plow on my tractor I was wondering if there was anyway to lowball alittle to get my foot in the market this year hasent been a real good year for snow we have had a coupple storms but I could count on one hand the ones that would need service

EasyPro
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
yeah I did but idk how much it would help me cuz im just starting out and currently I just have an atv with a plow on it n if I needed to I could put a blower or plow on my tractor I was wondering if there was anyway to lowball alittle to get my foot in the market this year hasent been a real good year for snow we have had a coupple storms but I could count on one hand the ones that would need service

Find a bigger company in your area and sub for them doing side walks . . . make 20 - 30 an hour and no extra equipment needed . . .

Michaelmacchiarella
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Find a bigger company in your area and sub for them doing side walks . . . make 20 - 30 an hour and no extra equipment needed . . .

Thats a good idea but im only 16 so I doubt ill be able to find a company who will allow me to sub at my age thats why I was shooting for getting a company of my own. Any recomendations for what to charge for an atv with a plow should I do per hour or per push its got an 50" blade on it

EasyPro
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Thats a good idea but im only 16 so I doubt ill be able to find a company who will allow me to sub at my age thats why I was shooting for getting a company of my own. Any recomendations for what to charge for an atv with a plow should I do per hour or per push its got an 50" blade on it

If you are 16 and get get your atv from spot to spot, I would hire you . . . seriously if you wanna run a biz its about going out and getting it . . . call around ask

Michaelmacchiarella
01-06-2009, 09:01 PM
If you are 16 and get get your atv from spot to spot, I would hire you . . . seriously if you wanna run a biz its about going out and getting it . . . call around ask

Alright im gonna call around and ask thanks for your help I'll take ur advice and call around do u have any idea on pricing that I should be getting paid for the atv so im not getting jacked around its not an small atv by any means its one of the biggest out there avil and its able to push some serious snow

SerranoLandscaping
01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't know if this helps

I charge Labor + Material when it comes to snow

$110.00 hr Atv with plow
$40.00 hr Shoveling
$12.00ea 50 lbs Salt bags
$20.00ea 50lbs Calcium bags

Example:
You get a drive way lets say is 40' X 12' + the sidewalk is about 50 feet long. A job like this will take about 1hr for one man. About 15 mins with the atv to get the drive way done. And about 30 mins to do the walk. You will have to shovel the walks because your 50 inch plow will not fit on the walks. And is not safe running a 50 inch blade on residential walks because you can damage the lawn when plowing the walks.

Lets say the customer wants salt applied to the walks and drive. I would use about 2 50lbs bag for a size like this. And this will run about 15 mins.

So I would bill this person this way

.25 hr Atv with plow $27.50
.50 hr Shoveling Labor $20.00
.25 hr Salting $10.00
2x 50lbs Salt Bags $24.00

Total: $81.50

That's for 1 hr worth of work. Snow removal is not cheap and it cost money to fill up your Atv, it cost money to haul your atv, and it cost money to buy bags of salt. And always round your time of labor to the nearest. like 10 mins will be 15, 42 mins will be 45mins.

Try to market your snow service to the higher end neighborhood. Not everyone can afford 81.50 for one hr of your service. Is also a lot cheaper running a snow blower than a atv.

I hope this helps out, wish you luck
Have fun make that money

Steve
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Try to market your snow service to the higher end neighborhood.

What advice do you have on marketing snow services? How should one go about targeting higher end neighborhoods? Should they make any kind of offers on their marketing material?

SerranoLandscaping
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
What advice do you have on marketing snow services? How should one go about targeting higher end neighborhoods? Should they make any kind of offers on their marketing material?

Marketing for snow is hard, snow is totally different than Maintenance because snow is more demanding than maintenance. People fall and slip when it snows so the customer won't take any chances, they will get a law suit if the site is not cleaned and someone slips.

For snow I will recommend you do a lot of cold calling, visit properties, knock on doors. The reason I said visit the higher end community is because they will pay the premium price. They are not going to say hey how about a $20 for this long walk and driveway. These people have money and most of them will even hire you all year long for Maintenance if they like your work.

Again Time + Material.. Let is snow and make this $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
For snow I will recommend you do a lot of cold calling,

How should a lawn care business owner go about finding numbers to call?