PDA

View Full Version : Should I Pass?

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Should I pass on this particular project?:

I don't know if many of your remember, but I was trying to put together a program on a guys three golf greens. Just three golf greens, approx 16,500 sq ft.

Now I already got a program setup through the local lesco, approx $2,622.65 for 15 applications during the year. The guy just about jumped out of his chair when I told him the price.

Well, anyway he asked me to at least do the first treatment, a fungicide ($280.80), and then we will talk after then. But I am just worried about two things.

1. This program may not work
2. This program may or may not work and he will be breathing down my neck the whole.

He already said something to the fact, "I want to be here when you are applying the application for I can see what and how you do it."

To me right there that is a red flag. He is either going to be complaining, or he is going to see exactly what I use, how I use it, and then do it himself.

What do you guys think?

kc2006
04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
For him I'd say all or nothing. Like you said it sounds like he just wanted information on what to use and then will get rid of you after that. I'd be doing the talking now and getting contract signed.

Steve
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
The thing I wonder is this. Who maintains his golf greens? Does he? If he does, maybe he is more hands on and just wants to learn from watching you.

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 12:59 PM
That is the thing. He has always taken care of them. I think that he really just wants to know what is used. Sure he might use me this year or on and off this year, but after that he will be done with me.

I think that if he signed up for entire year, then perhaps I would be interested in it.

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I mean, I would love to take care of this property big time. But I am also worried since this is my first time working with creeping bentgrass. It kind of scares me. What happens if I fry this guys greens? That would be horrible

Also I don't necessarily have all the time in the world to tell him exactly what I am doing step by step.

Steve
04-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I can see the potential downside.

If you decided to do this, could you get some pictures of the lawn for your marketing purposes? Would that help make it worth it to you?

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes, I could do that. But what I think is going to happen is this guy is going to want to have me on call or something.

We something pops up on the green, he will call me up and say, "Hey, something is wrong with my greens, come put down something."

I don't think that he wants the whole application (15 steps), which will lose the purpose possibley.

I am thinking about calling him, give him the information of what to use, and then tell him have at it. Then tell him that I do not feel secure maintaining the greens since I don't want to ruin his project that he has been babying for the last 3 years

Steve
04-08-2006, 01:19 PM
This sounds like something which isn't inside the scope of comfort or expertise.

Quote[/b] ]I am thinking about calling him, give him the information of what to use, and then tell him have at it. Then tell him that I do not feel secure maintaining the greens since I don't want to ruin his project that he has been babying for the last 3 years
I think this is a wise move.

The only way I would do this is if I wanted to experiment with possibly getting into this field more. But how many people in the area will have such golf greens? How much profit can you make on them versus the regular lawns you do.

If it is too outside your focus, it will be a distraction.

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, I will be there like every 2 weeks putting down something. For me, it's a major hassle because the closest supplier of the products that I need is approx 60 miles away.

Also bentgrass is probably the hardest grass species to maintain. And if something pops up, and I know of how to control, yet he doesn't want to spend the price, that worries me then.

That is the problem, there is like nobody else in the area that has stuff like this, perhaps, 4 or 5 people, that is all.

Steve
04-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I would think there would have to be a premium paid for this service to make it worth your while then.

If you decide to call him and pass on it. Let us know how the conversation goes.

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I am making approx a 40% profit on it, and that is just the product.

tiedeman
04-08-2006, 01:36 PM
well, I just got off the phone with him, and decided to pass on the project. But he was pleased that I told him up front that I don't have the experience with the bentgrass, and he also appreciate that I would mail him the other programs with prices

Steve
04-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Quote[/b] ]he also appreciate that I would mail him the other programs with prices
I think that was very nice of you.