PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Illinois

jdobbin14
01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I am new to this forum. I have been in business for about four years. I am looking forward to next season and I want to get started on my marketing material. I am very concerned about our economy though. I am thinking with people scaling back on spending, it's going to be hard to keep customers, much less get new ones. I was wondering what are some ideas for fliers and/or postcards. Should I go with cost savings, ease of having a company do it for you, or something else? Any ideas would be EXTREMELY APPRECIATED.

grassmowers08
01-01-2009, 05:15 PM
People have to get their lawn mowed or the will be fined.So either they mow it or they pay a kid or a neighbor to do it. You have to show them that your quality out weights a cheaper price.Usually they go bi-weekly but it is better than not having them at all.

Travis Hammack
Owner/Operator

Steve
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to our forum! What got you to start your lawn care business?

I was thinking about a title for a flyer, what if you went with, "Just because the economy is rough, doesn't mean your lawn needs to be."

- I offer top quality lawn care service at a price you can afford. In fact if you call me for an estimate within a week, I will give you 10% off your first cut as a thank you for signing up with me.

Maybe something themed like that would work?

jdobbin14
01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the replys. Good ideas.

I worked for another company and I didn't like how they treated their customers. So I decided I could do better. So I have done my best to do just that. I probably have the most loyal customers in the industry, because my business philosophy is "Treat others the way you want to be treated." and "Don't leave the job until you feel it looks the way you would want it to look if it was your property.".

Even still, I'm just a little nervous about the upcoming season. I have lost a few customers because they just can't afford to pay me anymore due to job loss. In order to stay in business I need to make them up and add a few.

Steve
01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Even still, I'm just a little nervous about the upcoming season. I have lost a few customers because they just can't afford to pay me anymore due to job loss. In order to stay in business I need to make them up and add a few.

Jeff, how has your area dealt with this recession? Are there many or very few foreclosures? Could you offer home foreclosure clean up services to local banks? Or would there not be enough business for it?

jdobbin14
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
There is one subdivision in my area that has quite a few foreclosures, but the bank that has most of the foreclosures contracts through the big LCO in my area. I've tried to steal the account away to no avail. I even under bid them and that didn't work. I think there may be family ties or something. Believe it or not some of the other banks in the area are hiring local kids to mow the grass at their foreclosed homes because the kids will do it for little or nothing.

My area hasn't dealt with the recession very well. Everyone has to commute quit a ways in order to make a decent living. So when gas prices were high people in my area felt it hard. Now that there's a recession people are so used to hoarding money they've tightened up even more. Home building is at a stand still, businesses are closing left and right, and I keep hearing on the news every night that another big local company is laying off workers. So I worry about next year.

Steve
01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Are there home repair services you could offer too that most home owners don't know how to do but would need done? Maybe you could offer a lot of property maintenance services.