PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ohio

Dreamer
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I have a fulltime job as a salesman for a beverage company and am concidering starting a mowing business. I currently have about 5 or 6 hours a day that I could dedicate to mowing. I used to own a Scag zero turn but sold it several years ago when I moved into town. I would like to eventually mow lawns full time. All I have right now is a John Deere riding mower. I feel that if I am going to do this and do it right I should look into a zero turn. To start with I will do all residential. What do you think?

Steve
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
First off, welcome to our forum!

How do you like beverage sales and how do you feel you could take those sales skills and apply them to selling lawn care?

How does a beverage salesman get their beverages into a new account?

All I have right now is a John Deere riding mower. I feel that if I am going to do this and do it right I should look into a zero turn. To start with I will do all residential. What do you think?

I'd say use what you got now and experiment with it. Don't spend money on equipment you don't need yet. Scale up as you go and learn as you go. What is stopping you from getting started today with what you have already?

Dreamer
01-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I like the beverage sales but I don't like the way that the company is leading us salesmen. I am a people person and I feel that I can use that to help my business grow. The more I think about it the more I think I will start out using what I currently have. Then as things grow I can upgrade as needed. I think I will put an ad in the local paper to snowblow and shovel drives til the weather breaks. Maybe that will be an in with some of the snow clients to mowing also.

Steve
01-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a bunch of free flyers that promote snow blowing and snow plowing, you can experiment with them too. Also, how many of your friends, family and neighbors know you are in business yet? What are you doing to let them know?

Can you tell us how you go about making sales to new beverage clients? I'd love to hear about it. I bet a lot of the techniques could be used in this industry.