PDA

View Full Version : Marketing animal trapping?

Steve
12-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Have you ever considered offering animal trapping services? What if a home owner is having a problem on their property with certain wild animals? Maybe you could set a small trap and catch the animal and then release it somewhere away from the home.

This might be another easy service you could offer with very little additional overhead.

ritchiem
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Until one day you trap a skunk....:eek:

I have never thought of offering the service myself. However I do subcontract a lot of trapping / pest control work out.

Steve
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, I bet a lot of people would like skunks removed too. What would it take to throw something over the skunk cage and put it into a pickup or in a trailer? You could probably charge more for the messiness of it.

However I do subcontract a lot of trapping / pest control work out.

That is a good idea too! For others looking to do this, would you suggest getting a referral fee for each one you subcontract out or should you just do it in return for getting referrals from them?

ritchiem
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
That is a good idea too! For others looking to do this, would you suggest getting a referral fee for each one you subcontract out or should you just do it in return for getting referrals from them?

28% is my subcontract fee. I always bill the customer and pay the sub. I add 28% on top of the sub's invoice. It goes that way for all my subs.

Steve
12-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Do you find that the subs offer a discount or do they give you their regular price? Maybe the customer doesn't really care because they are happy with you.

ritchiem
12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
unless I am giving them tons of service, they just charge me accordingly...like the would anyone else. I have never had a customer complaint, and I am very upfront if I need to sub. It saves them time, and they understand that it takes my time to set it all up, collect money, pay subs, etc.

Steve
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I think that is awesome. If they could refer you as well, that would be fantastic!

Do you try to work with only one sub to build up a working relationship with them in efforts to get them to sub you out too or do you just call whoever is available at the time?

ritchiem
12-30-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a very close circle of contractors I work with and I don't leave that circle unless it is a emergency. And yes, one hand washes the other.

Steve
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
That is fantastic! Building up those strong bonds is so important!