PDA

View Full Version : when should I start?

rlcs08
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
When is the best time of year to start promoting your business for mowing? I dont want to give my cards out to early b/c potential customers might just toss them away thinking "its way to early to think about cutting my grass". On the flip side, I dont want to start too late and loose customers b/c other businesses have already gotten to them.
Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

Steve
12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Are you offering any services you can promote now that can help you attract new customers and then potentially turn them into mowing customers in the spring?

rlcs08
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Are you offering any services you can promote now that can help you attract new customers and then potentially turn them into mowing customers in the spring?

I had thought about that, but refuse to put a plow on the front of my truck. (Only b/c i have the IFS on my truck and all that weight is bad for it.) I have plans of buying an F350 for my business in 2010 and will put a plow on it though.
I cleaned up leaves for my customers this fall, but that season is about over.
So I'm kinda in the middle of a rock and a hard place. No plow and leaf season is almost over.

VPS Lawn Care
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
As the old eastern ride they had at Disney sang throught " NOW IS THE TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, STAND UP AND CHEER FOR, ITS THE BEST TIME IN YOUR LIFE." Good luck man butnow is the time to get your name known. it is never to early or to late. any and everything you can have you name and what you do in as simple terms as possible. get your name known at all cost. it wil pay in the long run. cards,flyers,doorhangers, people remember when they talk to someone when they find a card, better then just leaving, leave an imprescion., enough ramble, good luck

Steve
12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
I had thought about that, but refuse to put a plow on the front of my truck. (Only b/c i have the IFS on my truck and all that weight is bad for it.) I have plans of buying an F350 for my business in 2010 and will put a plow on it though.
I cleaned up leaves for my customers this fall, but that season is about over.
So I'm kinda in the middle of a rock and a hard place. No plow and leaf season is almost over.

Can you do something with a snow blower? Could that get you started in snow removal for small driveways?

Also, why not think of yourself not simply as a lawn care business but as a property maintenance business? During the winter, there are plenty of services homeowners need done. Small projects around the house, that if you simply ask, you probably could get them to hire you to do it.

Did you check out the free flyer and door hanger section?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7198
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200

Maybe look through them and see if any of them strike an idea in your head that you would like to offer. Get these people to know you. Market a services you can do now and then when Spring rolls around, you will have first dibbs on getting them as mower customers.

After you look through the marketing material, let me know if anything stands out.

As the old eastern ride they had at Disney sang throught " NOW IS THE TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME, NOW IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, STAND UP AND CHEER FOR, ITS THE BEST TIME IN YOUR LIFE." Good luck man butnow is the time to get your name known. it is never to early or to late. any and everything you can have you name and what you do in as simple terms as possible. get your name known at all cost. it wil pay in the long run. cards,flyers,doorhangers, people remember when they talk to someone when they find a card, better then just leaving, leave an imprescion., enough ramble, good luck

VPS, what do you suggest he market during the winter? What have you found that has worked for you?

rlcs08
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Can you do something with a snow blower? Could that get you started in snow removal for small driveways?

Also, why not think of yourself not simply as a lawn care business but as a property maintenance business? During the winter, there are plenty of services homeowners need done. Small projects around the house, that if you simply ask, you probably could get them to hire you to do it.

Did you check out the free flyer and door hanger section?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7198
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200

Maybe look through them and see if any of them strike an idea in your head that you would like to offer. Get these people to know you. Market a services you can do now and then when Spring rolls around, you will have first dibbs on getting them as mower customers.

After you look through the marketing material, let me know if anything stands out.

VPS, what do you suggest he market during the winter? What have you found that has worked for you?

Ok. I will thank you very much. I would do it now, but am out of town on business and have limited internet access. I did just remember though that my dad said something about having a plow for the John Deere in the barn. Ill check it out when I go home thursday.

Steve
12-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I did just remember though that my dad said something about having a plow for the John Deere in the barn. Ill check it out when I go home thursday

Great thinking! Keep us posted.

rlcs08
12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Great thinking! Keep us posted.

ITS THERE!!! I do have a plow! I looked at the Deere and it has a broken mount. Ill have to do some fab work, but it'll get done!

VPS Lawn Care
12-18-2008, 08:49 PM
well being in florida i guess i have alot of things i can offer (not snow removal though) :D , but have been doing some repair work. just finished laying tile for one client, fixed a porch for another. , Just think of the things you can do then offer them to your clients.
Also now is a good time to mail out flyers or introduction letters to potential customers. I just sent out 200 intro letters out to areas that i want to get into. I also sent out 50 intro leters and requests to be put on bid lists with several commercial clients to be.
Good luck hope this helps.

Steve
12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
well being in florida i guess i have alot of things i can offer (not snow removal though) , but have been doing some repair work. just finished laying tile for one client, fixed a porch for another. , Just think of the things you can do then offer them to your clients.

Sherman, how do you let your customers know you can and will do such jobs?

Also now is a good time to mail out flyers or introduction letters to potential customers. I just sent out 200 intro letters out to areas that i want to get into.

Were these residential or commercial? What do you suggest putting in such letters and where should you get the mailing addresses?

I also sent out 50 intro leters and requests to be put on bid lists with several commercial clients to be.

How do you figure out who to send the commercial bid request letters to?

grassmowers08
12-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Ive had people hold on my business cards for months. Ill get calls from somebody in the end of the season saying that there other lawn care business quit or something. I ask them where they live and they tell me. I say I remember passing out flyers the in the spring and they say that they held on to it. You cant go wrong on Craiglist.

rlcs08
12-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Ive had people hold on my business cards for months. Ill get calls from somebody in the end of the season saying that there other lawn care business quit or something. I ask them where they live and they tell me. I say I remember passing out flyers the in the spring and they say that they held on to it. You cant go wrong on Craiglist.

Ya, I guess thats true.

Steve
12-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Ive had people hold on my business cards for months

You can also consider business card magnets. They should stay around for even longer.