PDA

View Full Version : New guy

rlcs08
12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey everybody! Just wanted to say hi from Cincinnati. Im new to this site, but not new to lawn care. I will be going into my third season this coming spring.

Steve
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi rlcs08,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you to start your own lawn care business?

I also see you have a pic of a '34 Ford Truck. How long have you been interested in Hot Rods? How did that interest get started?

rlcs08
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi rlcs08,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you to start your own lawn care business?

I also see you have a pic of a '34 Ford Truck. How long have you been interested in Hot Rods? How did that interest get started?

Thank you much! Honestly, I saw how much money my friends who do lawn care were making. (I guess it sounds greedy and I dont mean it to, but without money, ya cant have toys.) These were guys in high school driving new trucks to school every day and had new 4 wheelers and the like. I wanted to have that life style. I wanted to work and have something to show for working hard.

As for the hot rods, thats just the life stlye I grew up in. Every weekend was a different car show. It just came naturally to me I guess. My dad and I started building that when I was 14 years old and it was my first vehicle when I turned 16. I have driven it to Chicago and back twice from Cincinnati. Since it was built, I've put around 25,000 miles on it. Its a fun toy and gets a lot of looks. It was built in a traditional style. Nothing on it was made after 1969. Its not one of those $90,000 trailer queens. It was built for around $5500 and sees all pavement.

Steve
12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Thank you much! Honestly, I saw how much money my friends who do lawn care were making. (I guess it sounds greedy and I dont mean it to, but without money, ya cant have toys.) These were guys in high school driving new trucks to school every day and had new 4 wheelers and the like. I wanted to have that life style. I wanted to work and have something to show for working hard.

Going into your third year, what advice do you have for those who are just starting up? What pitfalls did you find you ran into and wish you could have avoided them?

As for the hot rods, thats just the life stlye I grew up in. Every weekend was a different car show. It just came naturally to me I guess. My dad and I started building that when I was 14 years old and it was my first vehicle when I turned 16. I have driven it to Chicago and back twice from Cincinnati. Since it was built, I've put around 25,000 miles on it. Its a fun toy and gets a lot of looks. It was built in a traditional style. Nothing on it was made after 1969. Its not one of those $90,000 trailer queens. It was built for around $5500 and sees all pavement.

Now that you are selling it, what will be your next project?

rlcs08
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Going into your third year, what advice do you have for those who are just starting up? What pitfalls did you find you ran into and wish you could have avoided them?

Now that you are selling it, what will be your next project?

Well as most people on here already know, it is a great business to be in. My biggest hurtle was getting the loan for the mower. I was 16 when I bought it and being that young, I didn't have any credit. Also, coming up with the money right out of the hole to purchase a trimmer and blower. I was so worried about the cost of those new. I did a little bit of searching and a guy at work had an ECHO trimmer that he only used for one season around his home. He told me that he would sell it to me for $80.00 and on top of that take payments. I still use that trimmer to this day. I got lucky and happened to find an old Craftsman leaf blower in the garage. With a little bit of tinkering I got it to run like a top. I used the bed of my pick-up to haul everything around untill the middle of this past summer. I was at a flea market and found a 4x8 landscaping trailer for $300.00!

My advice and motto is, go out and do it, don't take no for an answer. This might sound like a sales pitch, but I bought the "How to Operate Your Own Lawn Care and Landscaping Business" book and CD/DVDs from you guys. That book did help me out a lot.

And as far as the truck, its not for sale. It has too much sentamential value to it for me. BUT do plan on future projects.

Steve
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Would you recommend others start off with the commercial equipment and a loan or should they get started even with consumer equipment?

Maybe they should just wait until they have saved enough to get commercial equipment?

What's your view on it?

rlcs08
12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Would you recommend others start off with the commercial equipment and a loan or should they get started even with consumer equipment?

Maybe they should just wait until they have saved enough to get commercial equipment?

What's your view on it?

Im sure starting off with a 22" mower would be fine. Many people have done it. I just jumped in with both feet. If I had a choice to do it over, I would do it the same way. Its paid for before you even know it.

Steve
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
What's next on your equipment and business wish list?

rlcs08
12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
What's next on your equipment and business wish list?

A back pack style leaf blower is next. The one I have now is hand held, it works, but cannot walk around with both leaf blower and trimmer. I saw a guy do this at some property next to one of my customers. He was QUICK. I see him around all the time, but never have a chance to talk to him.

Steve
12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
but cannot walk around with both leaf blower and trimmer.

He does both at the same time?

rlcs08
12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
He does both at the same time?

Yes he does. Maybe not quite what you are thinking. He trims then blowes it off and when he blowes it off he keeps the trimmer on the sling around his shoulder incase he missed a spot. Not literally at the same time. That would take some serious talent. haha