PDA

View Full Version : A door Hanger that works for us and maybe you too

jmkreisle
12-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Here is a Door Hanger we use... Feel free to run with the idea and do your own for lawncare....

Also included an idea for using on postcard for lawn mowing....

Steve
12-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Mike,

Thanks for adding those great designs! What advice do you have for newer lawn care business owners when it comes to successfully distributing such marketing material? How should one go about using the postcards or door hangers to get the most effective results?

jmkreisle
12-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Just like real estate.... Location, location, location. In this case, it's list, list, list! Who gets your marketing material is more important than how or what they get.

I don't market to folks that can't afford or shouldn't be hiring out contractors. If they can't afford it, then it is a waste of my efforts, If they shouldn't be affording it, then it too, will be a waste because they will want the work cheap.

As for what the marketing material should say.... well, I like promoting what I sell. I stopped selling Pressure Washing once I found that is was only worth so much. I started selling something more valuable... Time and convenience. That's why the card doesn't have a mower or Pressure washer on it. It has what I propose hiring me will give them... Time to enjoy thier free time.

Steve
12-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't market to folks that can't afford or shouldn't be hiring out contractors. If they can't afford it, then it is a waste of my efforts, If they shouldn't be affording it, then it too, will be a waste because they will want the work cheap.

That is a really good point that I think a lot of new lawn care business owners miss. Do you have any advice on how a lawn care business owner can or should determine who can't afford them?

As for what the marketing material should say.... well, I like promoting what I sell. I stopped selling Pressure Washing once I found that is was only worth so much. I started selling something more valuable... Time and convenience.

Another great point! How did you come to this conclusion? Was there a point where there was like an epiphany?

I think many business owners just never adopt this concept. That is why I am wondering why you did and maybe that will help others see the light.

jmkreisle
12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
That is a really good point that I think a lot of new lawn care business owners miss. Do you have any advice on how a lawn care business owner can or should determine who can't afford them?

Another great point! How did you come to this conclusion? Was there a point where there was like an epiphany?

I think many business owners just never adopt this concept. That is why I am wondering why you did and maybe that will help others see the light.

As long as I was telling them all about Pressure washing, I was getting that look of... "It's just pressure washing, why so much money"... When I started sending a different message to a different mindset client, I noticed more yeses no matter the price. We went from $250 house washes to $450+ haouse washes in one season. And started selling More of them at the higher rate. Silly, how a different approach can sell the same service for more $$.

As for determining target market, I lokk for neighborhoods where there is lots of activity. Work vehicles coming and going. These folks out source this work. I target Business owners. Thier time is valuable and also understand us. We have something in common. Hey, a lawyer that is billing $500/hr thinks I am a bargain at $300/hr. Also, don't price based on YOUR numbers... Base it on THIER numbers. I sell House washes that would take typical Homeowner a whole weekend to do. I base pricing on that production rate... Not my own. I can clean thier home in an hour, but not going to price it at that rate. I'm going to sell them that I am saving them money versus the time it would cost THEM to do it. Hell, even to have the local handyman do it. Not a knock on the lawn guys, but I can wash 5-6 times faster than most of them, but ain't gonna price it for faster. I'm gonna stay at same $50/hr that lawn/handyman is going to price at, but make more because I'm faster. So I'll make the $300/hr

Steve
12-15-2008, 09:41 PM
These are all fantastic points!

The thing I wonder is this. Do you ever say to the homeowner that this job will take an hour and you are charging $450 for it or do you not say how long the job will take?

Do you try to sell it on the fact you are cleaning the entire home exterior?

When you sell the package, do you sell the roof cleaning too or is something like that extra?

What is involved in an average home cleaning job?

figtree
02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
As long as I was telling them all about Pressure washing, I was getting that look of... "It's just pressure washing, why so much money"... When I started sending a different message to a different mindset client, I noticed more yeses no matter the price. We went from $250 house washes to $450+ haouse washes in one season. And started selling More of them at the higher rate. Silly, how a different approach can sell the same service for more $$.

As for determining target market, I lokk for neighborhoods where there is lots of activity. Work vehicles coming and going. These folks out source this work. I target Business owners. Thier time is valuable and also understand us. We have something in common. Hey, a lawyer that is billing $500/hr thinks I am a bargain at $300/hr. Also, don't price based on YOUR numbers... Base it on THIER numbers. I sell House washes that would take typical Homeowner a whole weekend to do. I base pricing on that production rate... Not my own. I can clean thier home in an hour, but not going to price it at that rate. I'm going to sell them that I am saving them money versus the time it would cost THEM to do it. Hell, even to have the local handyman do it. Not a knock on the lawn guys, but I can wash 5-6 times faster than most of them, but ain't gonna price it for faster. I'm gonna stay at same $50/hr that lawn/handyman is going to price at, but make more because I'm faster. So I'll make the $300/hr

Do your customers complain when you used thier water or do you supply the water when pressure washing? Thx

Steve
02-11-2010, 07:30 PM
From what we have seen, it seems like it is much more ideal to use water that is there on location.

Trucking it in must be a royal pain.

zippy-phil
11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
bump for following......1st posting

Zippy-Phil

Hedgemaster
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
bump for following......1st posting

Zippy-Phil

Instead of bumping a long-dead thread just to "follow" it (a thread that hasn't been active in years doesn't have much to "follow", by the way), you can look just above the first post of any thread and click on "Thread Tools", then click on "Subscribe to this Thread".

Welcome.