PDA

View Full Version : Printing needed

Big Lebowski
12-12-2008, 09:35 PM
This is not mine but when I saw it I knew I wanted to "borrow" the ideas used in it to come up with something that I will either hang on door handles or stick in newspaper boxes. So I'm not completely sold on any particular type (hangers vs. flyer).

I like the font type used, I like the black background and yellow font. I am looking for somebody to come up with some options for me. I guess glossy is the way to go but I am open. I'm thinking I need you to tell me how much for how many because I am not sure how many I want to print yet. But I will tell you this, I will not miss any opportunity to pass these out this coming year as I'm looking for lawn care and not plowing as my message. These will be in the hands of every home owner I come across next year. I am looking to double my accounts in the spring and by fall have 3 times what I ended with this year. So here it is.

Steve
12-12-2008, 09:47 PM
How will you be distributing them?

Big Lebowski
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
By hand. I plan to use every free moment I have passing them out. This will be better than doing it while I am doing the route just in case I need to talk to potential new customers.

EasyPro
12-12-2008, 11:49 PM
www.nextdayflyers.com
www.vistaprints.com
www.overnightprints.com
www.gotprint.com

Plan-It Graphics
12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Have you looked at my site? I can design that postcard/flyer for you, and print it for you.

I like some of it too, but I really think we can come up with something better.
Did you happen to see the one I did here...
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7760

I also did there a couple of weeks ago...
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/CC_front.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/CC_back.jpg

Let me know if I can help,
Bob

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/jetskibob1/footer.gif

Big Lebowski
12-15-2008, 09:53 AM
OK let's talk some ideas for spring. I want something that will translate well into summer. I did pick up some accounts over the summer last year with a little foot work. But being that I am in the northeast I will likely start hanging these when the snow is still on the ground - you know, July? JK little joke for you guys up here.

I have considered postcards but at the end of the day, I really just can't afford it right now. Maybe next year. So door hangers it is. I could use the exercise after the long winter.

I may consider a spring version and a summer version depending on your cost and minimums.

ritchiem
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
By hand. I plan to use every free moment I have passing them out. This will be better than doing it while I am doing the route just in case I need to talk to potential new customers.

Pounding the pavement and banging on doors has been my best form of getting the word out. Can't wait to see what you come up with Big.

Big Lebowski
12-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I looked over my example and yours again and I have to totally agree with your point of view.

I like the second one but the first one is totally speaking my language. The pictures are talking much louder and the written message is short and sweet. Perfect for marketing.

Steve
12-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Rob,

Are you going to create a winter package like in that postcard? Like for instance, cleaning an average driveway will be $49.95 or something like that?

What's the plan?

Plan-It Graphics
12-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I have considered postcards but at the end of the day, I really just can't afford it right now. Maybe next year. So door hangers it is. I could use the exercise after the long winter.

If money is tight you should consider postcards like the ones above instead of door hangers. If you notice the ones above are designed not to be mailed. The ones above will be used the same as a door hanger. In essence they are really nice mini flyers. 4x6 postcards are half the price of 4.25x11 door hangers, (e.g. 5000 cards are $215 hangers are $425) (the ones above were over sized 5.5x8.5)

Just a thought on how to save some money.

Steve
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
If money is tight you should consider postcards like the ones above instead of door hangers. If you notice the ones above are designed not to be mailed. The ones above will be used the same as a door hanger. In essence they are really nice mini flyers. 4x6 postcards are half the price of 4.25x11 door hangers, (e.g. 5000 cards are $215 hangers are $425) (the ones above were over sized 5.5x8.5)

Bob,

What is the best way to distribute postcards not intended to be mailed? Going door to door and handing them to people, or sticking in the door way or what do you suggest?

Big Lebowski
12-15-2008, 11:56 PM
I have already plowed 6 times this year. Anybody that was planning on having someone plow has locked in already. Anybody looking for a plow guy at this point is usually a deadbeat or disagreeable and was fired from their last plow guy. So they are usually desperate and you are suspicious.

But like everything else for me these days, I can never make up my mind. I am so back and forth on everything. I am now debating having someone print this sort of thing for me. I may do it myself. I don't know.

I had something big that I was counting on got pulled out from underneath me earlier in the year and I think it has made me twice shy about all my decisions now. It was a life changing moment where I had put all of my eggs in one basket, and I closed another business for it and I am still paying for it. I didn't have the world by the balls but I did have a few things going my way and I was quite comfortable. I used to say that no matter what, I always seemed to land on my feet. And now I am trying to pick myself back up and I have been here since April. I was on a slight upswing when winter came along and slowed it all down for me again.

I have people telling me to go back to a previous employment that I swore I would never go back to and I almost cave every time. But then I start doing the math and it makes up my mind real fast. I am willing to keep on struggling to get what I want and not have to do something I truly hate.

Steve
12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I had something big that I was counting on got pulled out from underneath me earlier in the year and I think it has made me twice shy about all my decisions now. It was a life changing moment where I had put all of my eggs in one basket, and I closed another business for it and I am still paying for it. I didn't have the world by the balls but I did have a few things going my way and I was quite comfortable. I used to say that no matter what, I always seemed to land on my feet. And now I am trying to pick myself back up and I have been here since April. I was on a slight upswing when winter came along and slowed it all down for me again.

Looking back on this experience, would you have advice for others in a similar situation? What should they do and what should they avoid?

Big Lebowski
12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Well going into it I wouldn't have done anything different. I was simply closing the book on one part of my life and starting a new one. I had everything in place and everything was a go. What I didn't expect was that after 10 days I was let go from a great paying and great benefit job. It really was. It was the best job I have ever had - pay and benefits. I had a nice retirement plan in place and everything. I actually started this job the year before and this was a call back from winter lay-off. I tried to get into a another company but it is tough. You have to know somebody and now combine that with this economy, it would really waste my time. It took me years to get in in the first place.

I wouldn't had done anything different. But if I knew what I know now? Sure. But that's like saying if I had won the lottery yesterday... Pointless.

So I have no advice because I considered this a sure thing and had no indication of it being otherwise. So I go back to counting on myself and my own ability. I can only count on me. I am 40yo and have to hurry to get this business capable of paying me a really good wage and not needing me to work every account. Because at any age you cannot afford to miss a single day due to illness being temporary or permanent. That is my main goal. Short term I have other goals but my big picture is what I just stated. I need a business that will take care of me long after I am not as able to return the favor.

I really try to avoid offering this much about myself but there it is.

Plan-It Graphics
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Bob,

What is the best way to distribute postcards not intended to be mailed? Going door to door and handing them to people, or sticking in the door way or what do you suggest?

Well from my own experience, what I do, is design a postcard that can do both, mail and hand-out. I generally mail, but for example, during aeration season, I always take some cards with me and target the neighbors of the customer i'm servicing. As far as where to put them, it really doesn't matter. I use the garage door weather strip, I feel must people enter their homes through there, not their front door. I also prefer postcards cause they double as a mini-flyer or oversized biz card. You can keep them in the truck to hand out to potential customers. If you had out a door hanger to someone (in person), it looks like what it is, a door hanger with a hole in it. The postcards can be designed to be more versatile.

The bottom line with advertising is volume, the more you get out the better return you'll get.