PDA

View Full Version : Do you like this business idea or no?

Steve
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/06/technology/googsf_reut/index.htm) - Google Inc. and service provider EarthLink were selected to provide a basic free wi-fi Internet service covering the entire city of San Francisco.

To pay for this, Google aims to track its users to within 100-200 feet of their location through new wireless networks in San Francisco to hit them with local advertising.

Do you like this idea or no and why?

tiedeman
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes and NO.

Sure they can bascially SPAM their current users, but then again I think that people hate it when the internet does that. For example, I go to a website, and they will have advertisements directed towards me for companies in Michigan. I don't like that.

From a business point of view, its a great idea, but from a personal point of view, I hate it

Steve
04-07-2006, 07:40 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how it works out. If they can keep it from going over the top with spam, then maybe it has a chance. The people are Google have seemed to be on the bright side. If it does work and pays for the free wifi then that will be incredible! What a revolution it could potentially be.
The down side is that you will be tracked where ever you go.