PDA

View Full Version : Spring Marketing?

landonkade
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I live near FL and we have 2 more months of winter here, then spring arrives.

What would be some good marketing ideas to get peoples attention to act to the services. Instead of advertising mowing, edging, blowing, weedeating like everyone else would. I want to do different things to stand out. Some things like free lawn analylist or something

Could i possibaly get them to sign a yearly contract and if there payments are current could send them a $25 or $50 gift card as a thank you.

I know we have talked about some of this in the past, but just wanted to refresh.

LOL.. I cant really think right now

Steve
12-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Some things like free lawn analylist or something

What would the lawn analysis consist of?

joe_ramirez
12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
steve it looks like your the only person on this forum.

So I will give my thoughts on this. I have a similar idea, all this will be with the customer present, a sales pitch basically.
1. measure the sqft
2. measure water accumulation of owners watering hapits or system
3. visually identify any weeds or disease issues
4. possibly a soil sample
5. give them a view of what is and of what could be as they drive up to the house.

I was going to make this part of my lawn management packages I plan to offer. The idea is to give value of using me over the mow and blow guys.
I was looking at 4 possible year long packages. getting off topic so back to lawn analysis... so feed back

Steve
12-19-2008, 01:46 PM
2. measure water accumulation of owners watering hapits or system

Can you tell me how this will be helpful?

4. possibly a soil sample

Is this something you can do on the spot? What would you be testing for?

5. give them a view of what is and of what could be as they drive up to the house.

How would you be doing this? With a graphics program? What kinds of things would you try to include? Hardscapes? New plantings? or other things?

I was going to make this part of my lawn management packages I plan to offer. The idea is to give value of using me over the mow and blow guys.
I was looking at 4 possible year long packages.

How would the packages differ?

joe_ramirez
12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Can you tell me how this will be helpful?

********I was thinking of helping the customer understand the proper amount to water with the current system they are using.
evenly place jars in the yard after 20 minutes evaluate the amounts collected in the various jars. Purpose - tell me of any water trouble and run off, mostly have the customer interact and buy me rather than have me sell him.

Is this something you can do on the spot? What would you be testing for?
I could take a on the spot and test for PH, possible PO4. send off for nutrient analysis. again value, teach, buy

How would you be doing this? With a graphics program? What kinds of things would you try to include? Hardscapes? New plantings? or other things?
I could use a graphics program, but i more wanted to physically walk the customer up to the lawn from the sidewalk or drive up to the house in my car.
get the customer to see his lawn through others eyes.

How would the packages differ?
all will include mow, edge,trim and blow roughly 30 to 35 cuts
1. minimal -1 fertilizing in spring with weed kill
2. avarage- aerate(A) fertilize(F) spring and fall
3. manacured - (A),(F), 2 spring, and 2 fall
4. annual -(A),(F) 2 spring, 1 summer, 2 fall.

Am I thinking to large?

Steve
12-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I like the ideas. I think having a bunch of options spread out like that will give you a chance to pull in more profit from customers who are really into having their lawn taken care of.

Have you thought about the price range you would set on average for these different options? What are you thinking about them?

joe_ramirez
12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I like the ideas. I think having a bunch of options spread out like that will give you a chance to pull in more profit from customers who are really into having their lawn taken care of.

Have you thought about the price range you would set on average for these different options? What are you thinking about them?

I think that because I will be by myself I will charge by sqaure foot and linear foot, to sell value rather than time.
I have figured worst case of 1 lawn, 30 cuts times 35 dollars for mow and edge. I read on here $35 dollar min for fertilizing, I would have to go with that. based on yards for a home of 2000 sqft.
I figured $1050/12 = 87.50 a month
or 1050/52 weeks = 20.19 a week
break even would be at $400 taking into account used mower and used edger, already have a blower, adding a hith carrier. not accounting for fuel and maintaining the equiptment.

Steve
12-22-2008, 03:31 AM
1. minimal -1 fertilizing in spring with weed kill
2. avarage- aerate(A) fertilize(F) spring and fall
3. manacured - (A),(F), 2 spring, and 2 fall
4. annual -(A),(F) 2 spring, 1 summer, 2 fall.

So would this price then be for the minimal service?
I figured (30 cuts times 35 dollars for mow and edge)/12 = $87.50 a month
or $1050/52 weeks = $20.19 a week

I read on here $35 dollar min for fertilizing, I would have to go with that.

Would you then add on $35 for spring and $35 for fall? plus the aerate for the average plan?

Would the 'manicured plan' then be added Spring and Fall Fert for an additional ($35 * 2)?

joe_ramirez
12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Steve, that is correct.

So do others do this type of structure for lawn care or am I over thinking?

this first season is going to be phase 1 of my master plan. I want to make enough money to buy a zero turn for phase 2, commercial.

Steve
12-23-2008, 04:17 AM
So do others do this type of structure for lawn care or am I over thinking?

this first season is going to be phase 1 of my master plan. I want to make enough money to buy a zero turn for phase 2, commercial.

I like what you are doing and I think you are going to do well with it. One of the things I would suggest is this. You might want to consider adding on things like gutter cleaning and fall leaf cleanups. These could be upsells you could add on to any of your packages. Also what about irrigation system upkeep? Can you offer that as well.

If you are planning on making your contract an annual equal month payment, adding these extra services really shouldn't increase each monthly payment too much. Plus it can have you offering services all year round so the customers sees you and won't have a problem writing the check.

Any other thoughts on upsell ideas?