PDA

View Full Version : New Business in Iowa

bradyalderin
12-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi I am totally new to all of this. I mowed lawns while i was younger and through high school in my neighborhood and can do just about anything there is. I was just recently laid off at a excavating business because people are not wanting to build new houses or buildings right now. I guess a few of my questions are as follows:

Due to low capital what is the minimum tools that I will need to buy just to start up? I am thinking of just doing residential and then moving up after awhile.

How do I go about pricing? When I was in high school most of the places I did were twice a week do they really need it that often? I understand the dollar a minute deal.

What are the best ways to go out there and get customers?

Thanks to everyone that helps!

Steve
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi I am totally new to all of this. I mowed lawns while i was younger and through high school in my neighborhood and can do just about anything there is. I was just recently laid off at a excavating business because people are not wanting to build new houses or buildings right now. I guess a few of my questions are as follows:

Welcome to our forum!

Due to low capital what is the minimum tools that I will need to buy just to start up? I am thinking of just doing residential and then moving up after awhile.

The minimum is just to be able to push a mower. You can use your customers mower to get started. Thats how low the real minimum can be. Otherwise, why not just use your own lawn mower to start and get your feet wet with this and then scale up.

How do I go about pricing? When I was in high school most of the places I did were twice a week do they really need it that often? I understand the dollar a minute deal.

Why not call for a few price quotes for your yard and see what the average is in your area. If you can get $60 an hour, that is fantastic!

What are the best ways to go out there and get customers?
First get business cards and hand them out. Then make flyers and hand them out in your area. Let all your family know you are in business. Then let all your friends know. Are you in any local organizations? Let all of them know too.

Check out our free flyer and letter section for ideas.

Want to read a book on getting customers? The Big Lawn Care Marketing Book. (http://www.createspace.com/3352596) LOL that will keep you busy for a while.

With your construction experience, do you think you could take that and apply it to installing hardscapes? Could you do some home repair and maintenance too?

bradyalderin
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
you guys should do another gopher haul podcast on how you helped me start my own business and do a whole segment about it.

Steve
12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Would you like to post some pictures of you getting up and running? It would be great to share your story with others to help them.

What do you feel you are most stuck at now as you get up and running?

bradyalderin
12-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Right now as I am just starting it is frustrating on trying to get new accounts. I also am doing snow removal. I am not too good at this whole internet deal but I managed to start up my own website as well. www.topnotchyardworks.webs.com I am trying to make a flyer right now where I will try to make around 1000 flyers and just start going door to door. I do not know any other way to just get my name out there. I could probably post some pictures here soon with my snow removal. Thanks for any help you can do for me!!

Steve
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I really like your website. Nice job.

Have you thought about offering holiday lighting? You could do that potentially. Maybe offer small home upkeep services during the winter months. Or maybe even contact other lawn care and snow plowing businesses and offer your snow plowing services as a sub contractor? That might help bring in some money too.

Work your immediate friends and family network. Let them know you are in business. Give them extra cards to hand out to their friends and family as well.

bradyalderin
12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
The town I live in is about 35,000 people. And there is probably 8 to ten lawn care businesses here in town. How do I get my name out there and make myself presentable, and to be able to get accounts over all these other guys?

Steve
12-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Brady,

I am guessing you want to promote your snow removal services now. Have you put your business cards together yet to hand out to everyone you know?

Have you created any snow plow flyers yet based on the free templates we have for you to download and then hand them out yet?

bradyalderin
12-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Yes I have all that stuff ready to go. I could possibly post them to show u them. I just didn't know if there were any suggestions out there to make my company look better than the others

Steve
12-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Yes I have all that stuff ready to go. I could possibly post them to show u them.

I'd love to see what you created thus far!

I just didn't know if there were any suggestions out there to make my company look better than the others

When you say look better than others, how do you mean? Uniforms, signs, flyers, logo? Anything in specific? What are your thoughts on this?

bradyalderin
12-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Well just make my company stand out more than others so we look like we have been in business and so people would come to me more than other lawn care businesses

Steve
12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Ok, there are a bunch of things you could do. Create a uniform with a shirt, khaki pants and hat. Get some signs on your truck. Do some good deeds in your area that you can get some media attention from. Like for instance maybe put some holiday lights on someone's home in your area that isn't doing too good. Take pictures of it and send it to the paper.

Or maybe offer someone that is handicapped or elderly, free plowing for the winter. Maybe try to create a list of people in your area that can't remove the snow and then see if you can help get a group of volunteers to help clean some of that snow away. Make sure you send the paper pictures and press releases on all of this.

Steve
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Here is a visual on how you should market your lawn care business in concentric circles that reach out from you as the starting point. Keep thinking of who is in your social circle. Then hand them cards. Tell them about your new business. Have them become spokespeople now for your business and tell their friends. Give them extra cards so they can hand them out too. Follow this chart from the inner part to the outer part.