PDA

View Full Version : New to Gopherhaul

howesyouryard
12-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello all,

I just wanted to take the time to introduce myself to the Gopher community.

I started my own landscaping and snow removal company last year. I operate out of Port Hope, Ontario, Canada.

I am enjoying the business and look forward to networking with all of you in the future.

Thank you.

Chris Howes

Steve
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Chris,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you to start your lawn care business?

justin_time
12-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum

I am from Ontario also, about 5 hrs north of you.

Nice to see more than me and Richard from Ontario in here, i'm sure there's more but they aren't on here as much

Well if you got any questions, just post them up and we try to answer them as good as we can

ritchiem
12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Welcome Chris,

A fellow Canadian and from Ontario to boot! I am from Meaford, ON and I welcome you to the forums. There is a plethora (Every time Steve hears that word he chuckles) knowledge in here. If you cannot find what you need just ask.

Elitelawncare
12-04-2008, 09:28 PM
lol more Canadian lads on here then I thought

howesyouryard
12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have always enjoyed working outside. When I was younger I worked for a landscaping company.

I went to college for policing and have been trying to get on the local police service in town for 6-7 yrs but things aren't working out. I have been a Dispatcher there for the last 7 yrs.

Long story short I am sick of sitting behind a desk. This spring I made the leap into landscaping.

The summer was not bad for the first year. Snow removal is going very well. I have over 17 commercial contracts.

Well thanks again.

Steve
12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi Chris,

What kinds of things have you learned this year that you felt were very important you could pass on to newer lawn care business owners just getting started?

Also what kinds of marketing have you experimented with that you liked or disliked?

howesyouryard
12-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I have had a couple good and bad learning experiences Steve.

One thing is never under bid. It doesn't go over well with the local landscaping companies and I also can drive your own business under. I have had a couple large landscaping jobs that I was lucky to break even on. I have learned that when pricing out a job to always add 10 - 15% on top of what you have worked out.

When it comes to lawn care. I find that it helps to take the extra time to make sure that the job is the best that you can do.

I have been very lucky with my advertising. I found that getting out there and pounding the pavement was the best. Then from there word of mouth was my best advertising. Other then that I only have my truck and business card. This spring I am plaining on running a add in the paper.

I am also open to suggestions that people have found to work.

Chris

Steve
12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
One thing is never under bid. It doesn't go over well with the local landscaping companies and I also can drive your own business under. I have had a couple large landscaping jobs that I was lucky to break even on.

Hi Chris,

That is very interesting. When you look at these larger jobs that you were lucky to break even on, can you tell me why those seemed to be tougher to bid on then residential accounts? What have you found to be the pitfalls of bidding on commercial accounts?