PDA

View Full Version : Pet friendly?

Steve
04-05-2006, 11:46 PM
What do you have to do to create a pet friendly fertilization application program?

What are the advantages or disadvantages to it?

Do you know of other companies offering that?

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 12:14 AM
AHHH..stealing my idea http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The advantages of it is that you can market to perhaps bigger audience that might feel that normal applications would hurt their pets.

Disadvantages of it are that is is about 3 times more expensive than a regular application, and it could perhaps put your current applications under question whether they are totally safe then compared to the pet friendly ones.

I am the only company here that personally offers it right now. *But I have never had any takers on it.

The price difference for a 15,000 sq ft property
Regular Applications: $71.25
Pet Friendly: $213.75

Steve
04-06-2006, 12:31 AM
No doubt that is your idea.

What I am thinking is that you could offer it as an upsell whenever you get a new customer. You could ask them if they have pets and then explain this package. I bet many people would jump on it.

kc2006
04-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Well a non pet safe application has to be stayed off for what 24 hours or are the pets still at risk longer?

The price is high on that, and I think that's where it would be a problem. Since really this is just a convenience and it's not really needed, I think people will stray for that reason.

What about the natural fertilizers? We have a company here that is 100% natural, big company too so it's in demand.

Steve
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Could this also be marketed as child friendly too?

I don't know if it would scare people but might it help upsell?

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, the natural are child friendly as well.

Yes, a typical application it is recommended to be stayed off until it has dried or been watered in. The problem though, too many times the application takes days before it actually gets watered in due to the homeowner or lack of rain.

Steve
04-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Have you tried to upsell this yet to customers? Have you gotten any reactions to it yet?

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 02:27 PM
To be honest with you, the only type of alternative application that I have tried to upsell to customers, that actually works, is a phosphorous free application

Steve
04-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Is there any reason why you haven't tried to upsell the concept of pet friend / child friendly fert?

It sounds like it could be a hit.

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Like I mentioned above:
1. Price
2. I might scare away people with my normal applications or get a bad reputation with my normal ones.

Steve
04-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Quote[/b] ]I might scare away people with my normal applications or get a bad reputation with my normal ones.
Yea that is a very interesting point.

This might be tough to kinda say 'oh by the way since you have a pet you may want to consider this....'

But maybe there is a way to educate the customer and then allow them to make an educated decision.

Do you make a higher profit margin on organics?

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 04:22 PM
slightly higher than the regular applications. Around 1 to 2% higher

Steve
04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, that doesn't seem like too much more to risk potentially scaring away the customer.

But maybe it could be brought up if the customer asks for alternatives because they have pets.

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
That is my plan. If a customer expresses great concern about their pets, then I will offer that as a suggestion, but I don't plan on really marketing it as of right now. The only way that I will market it is if major regulations or rumors start flying around here that puts my regular applications to a screaching halt.

Steve
04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
It is a very good idea. Another option to have.
The more ideas the better.

tiedeman
04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I decided to run with idea of the pet friendly. I thought that it's better late than never to get a jump start. The way the regulations are cracking down more and more, I wouldn't be surprised that in less than 5 to 10 years most pesticides will be band.