PDA

View Full Version : Food drive for the holidays?

Steve
11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Has anyone thought about running a food drive for the holidays? Could you potentially hand out flyers that promote your lawn care service but also that you are collecting food for a local charity?

Could you potentially put flyers up at stores or even get an ad in the free community events section of your paper?

What are your thoughts on this?

justin_time
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Has anyone thought about running a food drive for the holidays? Could you potentially hand out flyers that promote your lawn care service but also that you are collecting food for a local charity?

Could you potentially put flyers up at stores or even get an ad in the free community events section of your paper?

What are your thoughts on this?

I was actually thinking of this on the way home today, but then I thought, there is a holiday Christmas train coming here - Article posted below

Canadian Pacific Railroad Holiday Train

Bringing Christmas lights, Christmas music, big-name entertainment and a visit by Santa to 70 small towns, big cities and isolated railway communities, the Canadian Pacific Railway Holiday Train next week starts its annual journey across Canada. Decked out with a big Christmas tree on the locomotive and 200,000 LED lights on its freight cars, the train will present a free rail-side show in French River. There's no admission fee for the show, just bring a donation of food for our local food bank. All food donated on the night that the train stops will stay in the French River community. You can also drop off non-perishable items at Foodland or Lemieux Grocery. Everything donated will help our local families enjoy the holidays. These items will be distributed in our area through the local churches, Lions Club and other non-profit organizations. There are really two Holiday Trains. The one that stops in French River originates at Montreal, and from Toronto heads north through Parry Sound and Sudbury then west to Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, across the Prairies and the Rockies to Port Moody, B.C. The second train travels CPR lines in Southern Ontario and the Northern U.S. It starts in Pennsylvania, goes north to Montreal, then to Hamilton and through Southwestern Ontario to Detroit and the U.S. Midwest to North Portal, Sask.

French River Today Bulletin is proud to announce that on Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm to 8:40 pm , “The Holiday Train” will be stopping again in Rutter (train tracks on highway 64 in Alban). The Holiday Train organizers agreed to fix the problem at the tracks so all can hear the music and enjoy the show. The entertainers perform this show, as a way of thanks to our community for giving so generously to our local food bank. Bring your family and friends and show these great performers and their volunteers how much we appreciate what they are doing for us. Be there with me to greet Santa Claus at the train tracks in Rutter. Come dance and sing to the music and Lets get in the holiday sprit together.

If you missed it last year! Now is Your Chance! Come join me at the tracks in Alban. CPR’s Holiday Train is stopping again in French River! Come One! Come All! Support Our Local Food Bank!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/htpic.jpg

Steve
11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I was actually thinking of this on the way home today, but then I thought, there is a holiday Christmas train coming here - Article posted below

I like that a lot.

What was the connection for you between the food drive and the train? Do you feel you shouldn't do a food drive because of this train?

justin_time
11-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I like that a lot.

What was the connection for you between the food drive and the train? Do you feel you shouldn't do a food drive because of this train?

I was thinking that I could plan a food drive for next year, I could go knock on everybody door and try to fill my trailer full of food

Steve
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Good for you! Make sure you let the local paper know what you are up too.