PDA

View Full Version : Repo properties

quickcleanlawn
11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok last week sucked.
but this week is a whole new story. I got hooked up with a contractor doing home repos for banks, and I have the great responsability of cutting,cleanning, and securing over 200 repo properties they need to be finnished before New years.
Has anyone done this type of work before?
I have one guy starting tomorow I was thinking 4 guys could do 4-5 of these a day along with my normal route. looks like I'll be working through the weekends till after the holidays.:D

ABurlison
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I've done a handful for a local credit union bank, the banks pay pretty good, and they cut me a check the next day, so It worked out pretty good for me. I can't imagine doing 200, with my regular accounts there's no way I would have time, I would have to hire a crew just to do those.

Steve
11-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Andy,

Do you have any advice on how to bill for these services?

ABurlison
11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Well the properties I worked on were over grown and had not be taken care of for months, I averaged $125 per house as a clean up charge, I probably spent 2-3 hours per house just going to town with my hedge clippers, cutting everything down for the winter. I bid these based on my estimated time, @ my typical hourly rate.

Steve
11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Very interesting!

I've done a handful for a local credit union bank

Do you think a lawn care business owner should go to their local credit union bank to offer these services or how do you think it would be best to market that you offer such services?

ABurlison
11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm sure you could go to each local bank and hand out business cards and let them know if they have any forclosure properties that need work to give you a call.

The bank I worked for called me, I never did ask how they found me or heard about me.

Steve
11-22-2008, 09:07 AM
The bank I worked for called me, I never did ask how they found me or heard about me.

That would be interesting to know because then you could work on doing more of that type of advertising.

quickcleanlawn
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
just checking in .
for the past week I think I have 50 properties done, and still going.

"Do you have any advice on how to bill for these services?"

Most of the jobs have set prices, the big money comes in after you get there
and there is over grown grass, broken windows, and debris, then you place a bid, you get your aproval or counter bid back in 1-2 days.

Most of this work are on home damaged by our past huricanes, where people have left and forgotten about them, and some of them are very nice homes, where the morgages, and taxes where not paid up.
either way there are lots of them I mean lots. I have 3 crews as of now and one starting tomorow.
As this goes on I'll keep you guys updated.

Steve
11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Blaine you are doing great with this!

How long do you have to wait until you get paid for a job on average?

What have you thought about this kind of work so far?

there is over grown grass, broken windows, and debris

What do you do about the broken windows and debris? Do you do any work inside the house?

quickcleanlawn
11-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Blaine you are doing great with this!

How long do you have to wait until you get paid for a job on average?

What have you thought about this kind of work so far?

What do you do about the broken windows and debris? Do you do any work inside the house?

Steve,
Its A learning progress, the hardest part is makeing sure other crews are doing things right, The way the pay works is after I send my photos I will get a check in 1-2 weeks somtimes sooner.
Broken windows get boarded up, and debris get removed, and bought to the dump.As far as inside work there can be anything, but depending on the value and condition of a property the bank may or may not want it repaired.
there is a lot of money in this work and I plan on milking this cow till shes empty.

Steve
11-26-2008, 10:35 AM
As far as inside work there can be anything, but depending on the value and condition of a property the bank may or may not want it repaired.

So you could go into a house and find some big problems or small ones, take photos of the problem and submit an estimate to repair it and the bank may or may not want it, but it is up to you to present them with as many options for repair as possible?

Say for instance the roof is leaking onto ceiling drywall. You would take a picture of this and present it to the bank to see if they want it repaired?

quickcleanlawn
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
So you could go into a house and find some big problems or small ones, take photos of the problem and submit an estimate to repair it and the bank may or may not want it, but it is up to you to present them with as many options for repair as possible?

Say for instance the roof is leaking onto ceiling drywall. You would take a picture of this and present it to the bank to see if they want it repaired?

Exactly, Its pretty Cool becouse I can sub any work I cant handle, Its not like the bank is taking estimates from X amount of companies, I have first dibs on all bids I submit.
this work is pretty cool and somtimes its hard, like the firsthouse I did is a reposesed home destroyed by Huricane katrina. I was suposed to clean and remove lots of litter and mow the grass. when I get there, the house is being occupied by the previous owner son that is mentaly ill. He is going around the neighbohood and stealling trash bags to dig through to find food, and he is just leaving the bags on the property.
Four yrs of collecting garbage can get pretty nasty, I'll show you guys some pic later on
At another property I had an order to change front door locks, we get to this upscale house, to find that the people havent even started moving, as a matter of fact those people where probably Pissed when they got home to find someone changed there door lock.
But hey, they should have known it was gonna happen sooner or later.

Steve
11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
This is fantastic! What types of jobs do you think you will try to avoid doing? Have you found any problems yet that you wanted to sub-contract out?

Plumbing? Electrical issues etc?

quickcleanlawn
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
This is fantastic! What types of jobs do you think you will try to avoid doing? Have you found any problems yet that you wanted to sub-contract out?

Plumbing? Electrical issues etc?

yeah I acturally have A roofing crew doing A roof, and some carpenters bids for a front porch.
I sub out any work that I just cant do, or dont have time to do. When I say there is lots of work There is lots of work this past week I completed 75 work orders next week I going for 150. this is ussurally the slow season for lawn care work, so its easy to get lcos to take on some more work from me at low estimates as long as I can keep the work comming.
Let me see if I can get some pics up for yall.

Steve
11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
When you call in these subs, do any of them require up front money before you get paid? If so, how do you advise dealing with that?

quickcleanlawn
11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
When you call in these subs, do any of them require up front money before you get paid? If so, how do you advise dealing with that?

I just let them know how it works, some people are cool with it and some are sceptical I guess.