PDA

View Full Version : Holiday decoration prices

Steve
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I had a friend the other day get a bid to put holiday decorations up on his house by one of those holiday franchise businesses.

To run a length of lights across the gutter and two garland wraps with lights down the pillars on each side of his door = $750

They come in, install this, come back at the end of the holidays and remove it. You don't own the decorations. They keep them! WOW I never knew that is how they did it. Very interesting! Maybe this will give you some ideas as well.

ritchiem
11-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I would love more information on this. If anyone offers such services I (and I am sure others) would like to hear how you attack the business.

ABurlison
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I came across a holiday lighting business awhile ago, they sent me a dvd and catalog of all the lights you can get through them, very nice stuff, but pretty expensive, www.HolidayBrightLights.com

Basically you become like an affiliate member, which give you access to their wide product line.

I never did it because it was quite expensive to be a member and the prices of the lights were pretty high as well, but very nice stuff. I just couldn't see who would pay these high prices for lighting installation, I'm sure you could get some work, but I'm sure limited to the wealthy, like you mentioned above, $750 for a lighting install, very expensive.

Steve
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
$750 is way too high for residential I think. Maybe you could break it down into two different bills. One to install the lights and then another to later remove them?

Basically you become like an affiliate member, which give you access to their wide product line.

I never did it because it was quite expensive to be a member and the prices of the lights were pretty high as well, but very nice stuff. I just couldn't see who would pay these high prices for lighting installation, I'm sure you could get some work, but I'm sure limited to the wealthy, like you mentioned above, $750 for a lighting install, very expensive.

Did you compare the prices with other sites online where you didn't have to be a member to buy the products?

Also did they offer any advice on selling the services or how to estimate?

ABurlison
11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
No, I never did look into this further, I'm sure there are places online you can simply buy just the lights and accessories, without having to be affiliated with another company.

cklandscapingorlando
11-19-2008, 06:53 PM
I charge by the hour.I sell the clients the lights or they buy them.I put them up and take them down.I put them in some big tupperware and put them in their garage.I know I could get alot more because I've heard of guys doing a 1000 a house and being very basic.I've been charging like 300 for a better job.It's still new to me though.This year I'm going to take pics to try and market it.I looked at some of the "wholesellers" and they seem to be the same as a box store.If the client owns the lights then you explain that every year they will more than likely have to buy a few new sets because they go out.Plus if they want to expand on it they can do so a few pieces at a time.

Steve
11-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I've been charging like 300 for a better job.

How long would such a job take? Does this price include coming back and taking the lights down or do you bill again for that service?

cklandscapingorlando
11-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Till lunch for 150 and 150 to take them down which takes less time.You can make more but once again I have to figure it out first

Lukacs Property Maintenance
11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey guys,

I have done some installs this year. One house they wanted their old lights taken down and new LED lights put up instead because they wanted to save money on the power bill. (good selling feature) Anyways i installed 6 strings of 50 LEDS with a light clip for every light on a two story house. I charged by the hour and supplied the lights. It was a simple light around the roof job. The cost was $20 per box of lights and $5 dollars per box of 100 clips. It took 5.5 to 6 hrs to install. I charged 380.00

Mike

cklandscapingorlando
11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
What about the take down

Steve
11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I have done some installs this year. One house they wanted their old lights taken down and new LED lights put up instead because they wanted to save money on the power bill. (good selling feature) Anyways i installed 6 strings of 50 LEDS with a light clip for every light on a two story house. I charged by the hour and supplied the lights. It was a simple light around the roof job.

Do you have any pics of what you did? I'd like to see.

The cost was $20 per box of lights and $5 dollars per box of 100 clips. It took 5.5 to 6 hrs to install. I charged 380.00

How did you come up with this pricing, by the box? How do you like charging that way? Looking back now would you have charged more or was that a good amount?

legendlawn
11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Definitely want to hear more on this. In my area, there are more companies doing holiday lights than in previous years. It's definitely something im considering doing in the future, but I have not looked that far into it yet.

Steve
11-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Here is an article that discusses holiday lighting pricing.

Decking other people's halls proves profitable (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081127/BUSINESS/811270363/1029) - Johnson said an average sale for his company is between $1,000 and $1,100.

Aaron Westcott, who oversees Christmas lighting for Bob Lenc Landscaping, said customers can spend as little as $500 for the initial installation, although an average ranch home with all the trimmings will run between $1,500 and $2,000.

Johnson is president of All-American Turf Beauty, a Van Meter-based landscaping company that, for the last 13 Christmases, has supplemented its lawn care income by installing holiday lights on more than 700 homes and businesses in and around Des Moines, Ames and Waterloo.

"We've basically grown from nothing up to doing roughly $750,000 last year," Johnson said.

Steve
11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I added two new free holiday decoration templates. A door hanger and a postcard.

http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=42969#post42969

http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=42971#post42971

http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/images/holiday-decorations-door-hanger-preview.jpg

12-03-2008, 12:32 AM
1. Take down is extra, by the hour.

2. I have done research of where i can get the cheapest and the best selection of holiday lights. I charge the cost plus markup for materials and by the hour for any other work.

I have done 3 more houses since then and they cost from just a few hours to a full day install

I have pics but they aren.t that great to look at. The jobs are very simple. Just a few strings along gutters and net lights. Stuff like that

Mike
if you really want to see them ill put them up k.:D

Incrediblelandscaping
12-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Hey guys, their are not many guys doing this up in my area, how do I get started

Steve
12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey guys, their are not many guys doing this up in my area, how do I get started

I would say get some flyers made and drop them off at all of your current customers. Then start canvassing the area and hand out flyers. Maybe do your own houses decorations and put up a yard sign about offering that service.

Let us know how it goes!

12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
hey guys,

woundering if charging y the light string installed would be profitable. eg. 4 strings installed $30.00 per string, $120.00.
Mike

Steve
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
wondering if charging by the light string installed would be profitable. eg. 4 strings installed $30.00 per string, $120.00.

I think this is going to come down to your costs. How long does it take to install the lights and how much does it cost you? I would think this is something you could experiment with and time to see how long it takes to put up 4 strings of lights.

12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I think depending on the job the time would be different. When i hang lights for some one and provide the lights the cost would reflect the extra cost of the lights but the amount of time it takes to install 1 string of lights can be 15 min to about 45 min depending on if its on a two story roof or if its on a one story roof. So do you think giving one price would be better then just charging buy the hour? More profitable? Just a thought.

Mike

Steve
12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
So do you think giving one price would be better then just charging buy the hour? More profitable? Just a thought.

Well when you say giving one price, can't you create a bid based on the hours you think it is going to take and then give the customer that one price? They don't need to know it's based on an hourly figure.