PDA

View Full Version : New Member Needs Advice

BigB
11-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey my name is Bryan. I am looking at starting up a lawn care service come spring... but at the current time I have a 21" Troy-Bilt push mower with a (electric) edger, trimmer, & blower. Im having to start out small until I aquire more clients... then I will invest in better equipment such as bigger mower, (gas) trimmer, edger, & blower. Im not sure how to go about all this, but I am looking into starting out with business cards and magnets. Does any know if I need to get a business license or can I wait until I get more clients before getting it?? also how do you go about claiming this as income for taxes?? is there a certain amount of money you have to make before claiming it to the IRS?? I am starting out part time to see how this is going to work out. Thanks for any advice or info in advance.

lawnindustryconsultants.com
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey my name is Bryan. I am looking at starting up a lawn care service come spring... but at the current time I have a 21" Troy-Bilt push mower with a (electric) edger, trimmer, & blower. Im having to start out small until I aquire more clients... then I will invest in better equipment such as bigger mower, (gas) trimmer, edger, & blower. Im not sure how to go about all this, but I am looking into starting out with business cards and magnets. Does any know if I need to get a business license or can I wait until I get more clients before getting it?? also how do you go about claiming this as income for taxes?? is there a certain amount of money you have to make before claiming it to the IRS?? I am starting out part time to see how this is going to work out. Thanks for any advice or info in advance.

Well Welcome aboard.

You are in the rite spot! All the stuff you mentioned do a search and find it in the forum and there you go steve here has it all. It is great need biz card search it need magnet advice search it. We here can give you all types of advice. JUST ASK .

Welcome to the forum.

Team Gopher
11-17-2008, 06:53 AM

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to our forum!

Business cards is a great way to get your marketing started. Make sure you tell everyone that you are now in business and hand out business cards to everyone.

Also start off with any piece of equipment you have. If you have a 21 inch mower, that is great. Only get equipment as absolutely needed and save as much money as possible.

Do you need a business license? That can differ from town to town. Some will require you to get a contractor business license while others won't. The easiest way to find out is to look up your town's website or stop in at your town hall and ask.

I think there is a minimum income for claiming, I am not sure but it's really low, like a couple hundred dollars. How do you claim it? Do you have someone that does your taxes now that you can ask? If not, meet up with a local book keeper or tax adviser and they can set you up.

What got you interested in starting your own business? Why are you waiting until spring? Are there any services you could offer this winter to get new customers now?

BigB
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm pretty sure I need to get a business license atleast... is that just a one time fee, monthly, or yearly fee?? I've tried looking it up online but I have no idea where to look... I live in Mississippi just across the state line from memphis,TN.

I've always enjoyed lawn work and being outside. I would love to make it a full time job so that I can make more money working for myself and being my own boss.

Steve
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure I need to get a business license atleast... is that just a one time fee, monthly, or yearly fee?? I've tried looking it up online but I have no idea where to look... I live in Mississippi just across the state line from memphis,TN.

It's probably going to be a yearly fee. Take a visit to your town hall and see what they have to say or ask a local friend in the business.

Let us know what you find out.