PDA

View Full Version : Property/Cottage/Winter Check

justin_time
11-12-2008, 10:25 PM
I am wondering if anybody offers this kind of service, where during the winter months, you go check on your customer's property/cottage. It seems to be a very popular thing to do in the winter in the north.

I was wondering how much should I be charging to do this ? I'm thinking about 50$/month and go once or twice a week.

Any toughts ?

ritchiem
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey Justin,

I used to do this service for my old company. We charged $200.00 per month for house checks...but it was more than just checking the house. Here is a list of some of the services that fell in that price.

- check integrity of all doors and windows
- make sure all lights (indoors and out) are functioning (changed bulbs if needed)
- make sure HVAC is in working order and temperatures are set
- maintain hottubs and get them ready for visitors (if needed)
- make sure outside property is safe and no obstructions are blocking right of ways
- check for alarms and warnings on security systems (we were the first on the alarm call list too)
- leave a checklist that is signed off every visit

Now I know that some people just want to make sure that nobody broke into their home and would just need basic services...however, you may be able to sell them on some upgrades.

Steve
11-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Richard,

Did you offer a cheaper price for fewer services or no?

What about handling the renting of the cottage? Making sure it's clean. Holding onto the key etc?

ritchiem
11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Richard,

Did you offer a cheaper price for fewer services or no?

What about handling the renting of the cottage? Making sure it's clean. Holding onto the key etc?

No we did not...we only had a few houses and we charged a standard rate. We had keys for all the houses as well as alarm access. We would sometimes setup appointments for repairmen to come to the houses (i.e. stove needed to be fixed, or the ejection pump needed to be replaced).

The houses we had were never rented out.

Steve
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
We would sometimes setup appointments for repairmen to come to the houses (i.e. stove needed to be fixed, or the ejection pump needed to be replaced).

Oh that is a great idea! How would you suggest charging for these services?

ritchiem
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I generally markup all of my subcontract services by 28%. So if their bill was $100 mine to the client would be $128 +tax(s).

justin_time
11-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I managed to find out yesterday, when I went to pickup my mail, I saw a flyer on a billboard saying they were doing cottage work (mowing, property check, pesticides, and other services that I can't remember)

So I'm thinking this is probably gonna be my competition.

I should ask them what they charge for the hell of it

ritchiem
11-19-2008, 04:53 PM
wouldn't hurt to know your competition and what they charge. They may not be as willing to tell you as you may think. Let us know what you find out.

Steve
11-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I generally markup all of my subcontract services by 28%. So if their bill was $100 mine to the client would be $128 +tax(s).

So say for instance, a cottage needs some roof repair. You would call a contractor. They would come in and say well that would cost $100 to repair. Then you would offer to the client to repair the roof for $128?