PDA

View Full Version : I need some help on a personal situation with a friend and the business

mhoward92
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok well I have a little situation and I know this will sound wierd but I just need a little advice. You see when this whole lawn service idea came up it was between a friend and myself while we were raking a yard. Even though I have done this stuff since i was 12 years old for some reason this idea stuck with me and i liked it.

But my problem comes in to play on the fact that when we talked we were talking about US being Partner ownership. Well i was excited when we were talking so I didn't really think about it. Now that I sit down and get serious about it I don't want anything to do with a partner ownership, just because too much can go bad.

So now he keeps asking me about this and how it is coming, i just keep playing along and saying "im getting contracts together and whatnot" but what I'm trying to figure out is how to tell him i don't want anything to do with a partner ownership but at the same time keep him in the business with me (more as an employee thing instead of management/ownership)

You see, this may make me sound greedy but I'm the one that has all the equiptment and I'm the one that is going to all the work on this. I have done so much on the computer, reading, reading,reading, and making contracts. business plans, advertisement ideas, everything. and I'm the one that will be investing thousands into the equiptment for the company. I'm the one making the business decals and logos along with the business shirts and coats. So i think you all get the point here. But he is a good friend and I don't want to hurt him so ant ideas on how to set things straight?

lawnindustryconsultants.com
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
My personal opinion is to go with yourself partnerships I see never work out I have gone through 3 different partners in different businesses an I currently have a partner in a business still and we do not get along but we have a ton tied up together so we realize that. Your problem is he is your friend you mite lose a friend but maybe you need to educate him on how partnerships don't work education in my eyes is the best way to go sit him down and show him some research you have found like this post. So say to him lets be friend but not relationship I mean (partners) Because partners are married in a way .
AGAIN THIS IS MY OUTCOME OF PARTNERSHIPS SOME SAY DIFF>

Little's
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I would just call him up and say, look, after going over all the figures, I have come to realize that this business will not bring enough income to support both of us. Tell him that you have decided to go at it alone, and he can do the same, or he can work as an employee under you. I wouldnt worry too much about it, since you are still trying to get it off the ground, he doesnt have much to be upset about.
Good luck.

mhoward92
11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Thank you both, I think advice from others is always helpful. and I understand were you both are coming from.

Thank you

musician/lawnman
11-12-2008, 08:40 PM
I like what Brandon said, It's a good cut & dry no BS way to go about it. Cry broke! Noone can get mad at you if you say "look man, we just cant afford 2 chiefs & no indians, So whataya say there little foot... $8 bucks an hour sound good?"

hehe:p

Little's
11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
I like what Brandon said, It's a good cut & dry no BS way to go about it. Cry broke! Noone can get mad at you if you say "look man, we just cant afford 2 chiefs & no indians, So whataya say there little foot... $8 bucks an hour sound good?"

Chuck, you always have a way with words... haha

mhoward92
11-13-2008, 08:23 PM

HAHA yeah that is a good way to put it. lol

Steve
11-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Great ideas. You could also calculate out how much you have invested in your business already. Time and money and then say to your friend, well if you want to buy in as a partner, it is going to cost $5,000. And I will need a check for $500 for your side of the annual insurance etc etc etc.

You know your friend better than me, but I am guessing most people don't have any money laying around so he won't be able to do it.

Then you could just say, well I understand you can't afford to buy in, so let's just keep working together like we are when you are available and that will keep it easier.

Let us know how this all works out.

mhoward92
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Great ideas. You could also calculate out how much you have invested in your business already. Time and money and then say to your friend, well if you want to buy in as a partner, it is going to cost $5,000. And I will need a check for $500 for your side of the annual insurance etc etc etc.

You know your friend better than me, but I am guessing most people don't have any money laying around so he won't be able to do it.

Then you could just say, well I understand you can't afford to buy in, so let's just keep working together like we are when you are available and that will keep it easier.

Let us know how this all works out.

great idea, Its nice to have multiple input on situations like this. he is leaning off of it now and i think he is realizing he does not meet the demand requirements to partner with me.

Thank you

legendlawn
11-20-2008, 10:40 AM
When I started my business this year, I brought our best employee over from the previous company I had worked for. He was just an employee. It was just me and him and I did everything I could to make him feel like a partner. I even got him some business cards made. Well, we ended up getting real busy, and we had record rainfall here this year, so our schedule was always messed up. To make a long story short, he couldn't hack it, and we had a mutual parting of ways. Looking back on this I stressed over this situation wayyyyy to much. These things have a way of working themselves out. Don't get to worked up about it. I think he had some hard feelings for awhile but we recently got back in touch with each other and are now friends again.

mhoward92
11-21-2008, 11:49 AM
When I started my business this year, I brought our best employee over from the previous company I had worked for. He was just an employee. It was just me and him and I did everything I could to make him feel like a partner. I even got him some business cards made. Well, we ended up getting real busy, and we had record rainfall here this year, so our schedule was always messed up. To make a long story short, he couldn't hack it, and we had a mutual parting of ways. Looking back on this I stressed over this situation wayyyyy to much. These things have a way of working themselves out. Don't get to worked up about it. I think he had some hard feelings for awhile but we recently got back in touch with each other and are now friends again.

yup, I'm trying to prevent just that from happening. He is leaning off the partner ownership now and i think he just wants to more "work with me" instead of doing the partner ownership thing. which is good. saves me from doing the dirty work.