PDA

View Full Version : New member does not know where to start

lawnboy1115
11-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Hello to all. I am a new member and i live in the orlando, fl area. I have been checking out the gopher haul shows on you tube and that is how I ran across this site. I do not have my own business but have spent the last three days reading and learning from all the members I just had to join and get in on some of the discussions.

I do have a couple of quesions. We are in the beginning of November is it to late to start up a lawn care business? What advice would any one give to someone who wants to start up but has very little money. I am a home owner I own a 2 in one weed eater/edger, push lawn mower, blower (electric). Is it to late in the season or should I just wait till spring to start up. I do live in Orlando, fl. Also how much should i charge for mowing and edging yards. The economy is bad for everyone so i do not want to overprice and get no business but do not want to under price and make no money. I just need some good advice on how to go about getting things rolling.

Steve
11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi,

Welcome to our forum and thanks for joining up.

I would say it is never too late to start because ultimately the later you start the earlier you are getting a jump on next year. There are many services you can offer in the slow months.

I would also start only with what you have and experiment. See if anyone on your block or in your local neighborhood is looking for lawn care. Get some business cards made and start handing them out.

Are you a member of any local social organizations that you can harness to help get the word out too for you?

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

lawnboy1115
11-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I have thought about doing lawn care but never serious like I am now. The economy is what got me into starting this business. I have a full time night shift truck driving job and like so many companies things are just getting slower and slower so i am seeking independence for myself and my family because left and right big name companies and banks are closing or downsizing (circuit city). So I am not gonna sit around and let my employer try to dictate me and my family life

Steve
11-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh excellent!

Are you handy? Can you do light construction products around the house? Would you consider offering handyman services to your local area?

Also have you thought about how you are going to promote your business?

lawnboy1115
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
I can do a little bit here and there but I am a very fast learner and to market the idea i was cosidering using the flyers that I see posted at this site

Steve
11-06-2008, 05:43 AM
Good! Being able to do a lot of odd jobs for homeowners can really help you make it through the slower winter months and then you can potentially bring these customers along for lawn care in the next year.

Go through the free flyers and see which really get you thinking. There are many many marketing ideas in there.

Also why not really decorate up your home for the holidays and put a small sign out front that you offer this service too. Then hand out flyers in your area that you offer this service.