PDA

View Full Version : Managing business profit advice?

mhoward92
11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Just wondering, How did you all start your business? and what steps did you take to manage your money for new equiptment? share your stories please

Steve
11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
and what steps did you take to manage your money for new equiptment?

Are you meaning how did you save money in order to prepare for future equipment purchases? And stuff like that?

mhoward92
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
yes, how you saved to prepare and to buy future work equiptment.

Steve
11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
I think some of the traits of successful entrepreneurs is that they are big savers. They can make do with things others wouldn't consider. Sam Walton is my favorite when it comes to this philosophy.

What kind of equipment is on your wish list?

mhoward92
11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
new everything. besides a trailor. I have everything but its old and i want it to look professional.

Steve
11-05-2008, 12:22 PM
new everything. besides a trailer. I have everything but its old and i want it to look professional.

Well from your point of view, what about older equipment is unprofessional? Does your equipment work? Is it making you money? Have your customers ever complained to you that your equipment looks old?

mhoward92
11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
No, its just the fact that I'm trying to be as professional as possible. Many people don't think I'm serious since I'm only 17. But I am so I'm trying to show it more. But one thing I DO NEED is a blower. Mine is shot now. I was thinking about a backpack blower not sure what kind though really. I'm looking for a price range between 200-300. any reccomendations?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I agree that professional equipment lends to your getting more respect and garnering a higher price especially from your business clients.

This is not only for its looks but more so for your equipment's functionality. If your equipment is dependable and well maintained it will give better service and you customers won't ever have to worry if you've had an equipment breakdown.

Grow into your equipment slowly though. There's no need going into debt during your early days just so you can look bigger than you are. This is the time of year to seek out great prices on last year's models or used equipment right before winter.

Talking about professional equipment and blowers. I have a Homelite backpack blower I bought in 1995 or 1996. The thing is a pain in the a$$ to start but it still runs great once I get it going. Mainly, it needs a new primer bulb and a carb adjustment. The thing is; it is no where near commercial quality but it did commercial work (initially only bought it as a backup) for about 5 years before I retired it to residential use. Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it won't give good service.

My favorite blower though is my RedMax EBZ8001. Check it out:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rA3fOmbAfi0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rA3fOmbAfi0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Steve
11-06-2008, 05:34 AM
No, its just the fact that I'm trying to be as professional as possible. Many people don't think I'm serious since I'm only 17.

I think you are serious!

What do you wear for a uniform?

Do you have any signs for your business on your truck?

mhoward92
11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
It is all in the making right not. I designed all of it up and am now just waiting for the product to come in. I will wear a business logo work t-shirt. and both my truck and trailer will have decals on them. Even the billing and contracts I personally made myself to make even the paperwork look professional.

Steve
11-07-2008, 06:56 AM
I think that is fantastic! To me, it's these kind of things that scream professionalism. Not the equipment. It's amazing how a few bucks invested in signs and shirts can make all the difference in the world.

You could even get a silk screened baseball hat or even a polo shirt embroidered with your business name on it and wear like khaki pants.

Check out this uniform. Maroon colored polo style shirt with black khaki pants.

http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/images/lawn-care-uniform.jpg

http://www.gopherforum.com/uploaded-files/images/lawn-care-uniform-2.jpg

You can come up with your own color scheme and that is something fun and creative as well. It doesn't have to be green and white.

mhoward92
11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Yes it is amazing how all them little things add up and really make your business stand out.

Steve
11-08-2008, 05:43 AM
When you look around at your competitors, how do you see them presenting themselves? What do they wear? How do they show their business is legit with signs on their vehicle? How do you feel you compare with that?

When the homeowner makes a few calls to get bids for lawn care service, who is leaving them with the best impression?

mhoward92
11-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Well In my area the businesses are definitely smaller then those down south. They usually have business shirts and tan pants on. Signs on their equiptment... but I knew this guy when i Lived in Florida and he ran a very successful tree company. He named it "Eager Beaver" the thing was...He was quite a goofy guy but he was smart when it came to marketing. Here is what he did.

Every single piece of equipment he ever bought he would always have it painted bright yellow. I mean everything was yellow! he had tons and tons of different trucks and tree hauling equipment. But his love for "everything yellow" did NOT stop there. He made the outfits all bright yellow. He ordered custom workboots that were yellow and had the company imprinted in the leather. Every single personal car he had was yellow. He was a pretty wealthy guy so he had a bunch of cars and crap always sitting in his driveway, including 2 big motor homes trailors, dump truck you know...everything.

the whole moral of this is, Every time i heard people talking about his business they always refferred to it as "that business that has all the yellow s#%#" and he was well known for just being the color yellow. You know it might not be the nicest looking color in the world but it got him SO much business.

I talked to him about 2 weeks ago and he now owns 3 big shops/warehouses/storage areas and has small cranes and a few bucket trucks. He has really grown!