PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Seniors

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I am thinking about two things:

1. First of all, do senior discounts really work? Do you think that they would work for lawn applications? I know that seniors need lawn mowing done, but what about fertilization?

2. Should I target senior centers or is that a waste of time and money?

Steve
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Quote[/b] ]Should I target senior centers or is that a waste of time and money

Can you explain more what you mean by targeting senior centers? What would you do?

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
This is what I was thinking. Sending the centers a flyer explaining that all seniors can get 15% off services. I look at this way, they will either throw the flyer away, or really promote it to seniors as a way to save money

Steve
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Now at these senior centers, do the seniors live there? Or do they just go there to spend time during the day?

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Just go there to spend time, eat meals, etc.

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
The more I think about it, perhaps it would be a lost cause

Steve
04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, you never know about an idea until you think it through right?

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
True

After I think about it though, if they are going to the senior centers for meals, then more than likely they can not afford to have their lawn taken care of

Steve
04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
That is kind of what I was thinking too.

Billz
04-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, in my experience, senior discounts do work. Every senior I have dealt with has at least asked me if I give them...Bingo parlors might be a better place to advertise than a senior center. Do you have any community books that are sent to you with summer programs or anything? Target these areas where seniors will be parked, and flyer their cars with a dicount.

Alot of seniors walk the malls alot too, maybve see if any mall will let you put a cheap display in an unused area. Trugreen has an actual stand in our mall here, with flyers, and info for anyone.

Is there anywhere else you can think of where seniors congregate?

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 09:03 PM
I do too think that senior discounts will work Bill. The thing that I do not think will work is targeting senior centers though. Unless you think otherless. What your opinion on that Bill?

TruGreen has an actually stand setup? I would love to see pictures of that.

Billz
04-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Well I always thought senior centers were for seniors to live in. I have no family in one, so I have never had an experience with them.

Billz
04-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Trugreen is in charge of our malls maintenance, they have a stand but no one there, just flyers. some about specials, another about aeration, and some about what to fertilize with in every season.

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Quote[/b] (Billz @ April 04 2006,10:06)]Well I always thought senior centers were for seniors to live in. I have no family in one, so I have never had an experience with them.
Around here there are some senior centers that make meals for seniors, they can come and socialize, etc.

There are are senior homes or senior living; those are where seniors stay or are taken care of

Steve
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Maybe you could just put it in small script at the bottom of every advertisement you send out or distribute. Maybe also include, can not be combined with any other offer.

Billz
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I would put a big script at the bottom or they might not see it! ;)

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, if someone asks for combining other discounts I will get just tell them sorry.

I am not going to be an @ss to someone about it, but if they get really rude about it, then I will just tell them point blank that sorry, I can not do that. And if they get the point of saying that "I better honor all of the discount combinations", I can just tell them sorry, I can not service you. Simple and easy.

I know that I should cover my bases, but I also want to try to get away from all the minor details, rules, regulations, contracts, etc. that I had customers do before. I would like to do it where I don't have to worry about contracts anymore.

Billz
04-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I dont think anyone would get irate with you over it, or why would you want to work with them anyway?

tiedeman
04-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Exactly Bill...that is my point.