PDA

View Full Version : Lawn/leaf sweepers opinions

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Anybody using lawn sweepers to pick up leaves?

I'm thinking that in some situations, this may the faster way to pick them up as well as other junk from lawns and parking areas.

Steve
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Are you looking at any specific types or models?

hotwired
10-17-2008, 04:48 AM
My foreman also mentioned trying one ... my impression has always been that htey are a light duty homeowner thing, but perhaps my judgement is too ridgid. Anyone else??

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-17-2008, 08:27 AM
From what I can find out so far, Parker seems to be the best built sweeper out there, but its a bit pricey and only 36" wide. I suppose you get what you pay for. Also looking at the Craftsman 46" wide model. Half the money with a higher brush speed compared to others. Reviews seem to be mixed on durability.

I'll be using my ATV to pull it around as it is faster than my mower as well as more fuel stingy.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
10-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Hey

There is a guy in town that uses a self propelled leaf vac. The parking lots and the sidewalks are kept free from dust dirt and garbage. He just walks behind the vac and sucks up stuff off the sidewalks and along the curbs so the drains don't get cloged

Mike

justin_time
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.cyclonerake.com

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a 61 inch deck with a bagging system, but its not that great at sucking up leaves in some situations. The problem is the ground is not that smooth at one particular account and I can't get the deck low enough without scalping and gouging the ground with the deck or blower. Of course that's where most of the leaves are...

So maybe a lawn sweeper like a 36 inch wide Parker would do a better job in that situation. I can rent one for about $30 for a day.

Anybody's $.02?

ABurlison
10-22-2008, 09:11 AM
This one is by far the best one I've ever used, the multi-vac by Billy Goat, www.billygoat.com

Got a demo unit from my local power equipment store, this will even pick up beer bottles and not break them, very nice machine.

ANDY

Steve
10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
So maybe a lawn sweeper like a 36 inch wide Parker would do a better job in that situation.

Do you mean one like this? To tow behind your mower? I bet you could find these used online cheap!

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
That's what I'm talking about, a tow behind. I can't justify an expensive self powered vac at this point.

I've been looking for something online via eBay, Craigs List, and so forth for something close by. I really don't want to travel too far to get one.

I'll probably just rent one for a couple of days, at least then I will know if it was the right tool for the job.

Steve
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I'll probably just rent one for a couple of days, at least then I will know if it was the right tool for the job.

Well let us know how it works out. I will be looking forwards to hearing about it.

justin_time
10-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Do you mean one like this? To tow behind your mower? I bet you could find these used online cheap!

Those tow behind I had were piece of junk. The wheel that turns the sweeper keeps getting jammed up and the sweeper ended up by breaking since it wasn't turning and I was still pulling it. Maybe there are better ones out there but I wouldn't recommend it to any landscaper