PDA

View Full Version : Full time job to full time lawn care. Making the jump.

Steve
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
for any of you that has made the jump from having a full time job to going full time in your lawn care business, do you have any advice on how best to go about that?

This quote was from Metro Lawn in another post.

I would guess the biggest thing is to have some money in reserve. I suggest having 4-5 months worth to cover all of your expenses and to give time for your cash flow to start flowing.

What is your advice?

ABurlison
10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
That was how I started out, working full time during the day, and doing lawn care after work, I could squeeze out 4-5 Houses a night after work, until I started getting complaints about not doing the little stuff that's important to people, like pulling the weeds in the landscaping areas and etc..
I had finally hit a point where I could get by with what I was making in Lawn Care, and simply jumped off the cliff. Doing this really gave me the time to devote to all my customers and keep their lawns & landscapes simply looking perfect, which in turn doubled my customer base & income!

ANDY

newguy3344
01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I jumped into full time lawn care with both feet and hit the ground running. Thinking I was doing very well, soon to find out winter was very painful for me. I wasn't able to put enough money back for winter and resorted back to having another full time job, even if just for the winter months. Although I am still growing my lawn care business, I am wondering what will come of the 2012 mowing season. Will I have to continue a full time job in the winter months or be able to jump back into mowing and be able to store enough reserves for the winter months. That is the big question!!!

ringahding1
01-14-2012, 03:16 PM
That's a great Idea in an economy that is not so challenging. I'm not saying this is not attainable, but it can take years to be in a position to do that.

Steve has a very good method for covering your costs (it's on here somewhere) to run a successful campaign. So if you implement those costs and attempt to save money, what are you left with to live on?

For the newbie I would HIGHLY suggest not quitting your job until you have reached a point of sustainability. You will know, when the work becomes overwhelming and darn near impossible to juggle.

Personally I save my change and ONE dollar bills throughout the summer months, which I have used to purchase such equipment as: 2) 8'2" Boss V-plows worth $11,000 installed. That's from just two summers of saving.

I do HIGHLY suggest also, saving money for no apparent reason, since this economy is so unpredictable. Good Luck!

USA Lawn Care
01-17-2012, 04:21 AM
go get the book "Quitter" by Jon Acuff at your local library and read it.

It is on my night stand right now. It is all about NOT quitting your full time job too soon and how to make the jump SUCCESSFULLY.

It is an easy and informative read........and from the library it's free. :)

Steve
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
go get the book "Quitter" by Jon Acuff at your local library and read it.

What top 5 lessons stood out to you that you feel others could really benefit from?

tha5150
01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I am in this position of starting my own, yet to get equipment. I plan on defiantly keeping my day job. All good advice though and i will check out that book.