PDA

View Full Version : My Trucks and Stuff

Metro Lawn
10-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Here are a few pics of some of my trucks and stuff.

Metro Lawn
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Here are some others.

Little's
10-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Thats a bunch of trucks! Where do you keep them all? Those sure look like some good ones. I bet you have an enormous gas bill though.

Steve
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Great pictures! Out of all of them, do you have a favorite?

Metro Lawn
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Thats a bunch of trucks! Where do you keep them all? Those sure look like some good ones. I bet you have an enormous gas bill though.

That is about half of them. They are at 3 different locations.

Metro Lawn
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Great pictures! Out of all of them, do you have a favorite?

The extended cab pick up is my personal work truck.

oxfordlawn
10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
You know what they say about a landscapers own lawn.....look at the grass in the pictures:D Sorry I had to poke fun at that....Anyway that is a fleet of gas guzzling trucks. Looks as if you keep them in good shape though. Good Luck this winter.

Metro Lawn
10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
You know what they say about a landscapers own lawn.....look at the grass in the pictures:D Sorry I had to poke fun at that....Anyway that is a fleet of gas guzzling trucks. Looks as if you keep them in good shape though. Good Luck this winter.

LOL Most are diesel... None of those pics really show my lawn. That is the house next door to me.

Steve
10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
With all these trucks, I would think you would be in a great position to have insight into why do you feel the majority of lawn care business owners never get to the size you are at now?

What keeps most of them small?

Can you think of a time period you pushed through and it made you really stand out from others?

Metro Lawn
10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
With all these trucks, I would think you would be in a great position to have insight into why do you feel the majority of lawn care business owners never get to the size you are at now?

What keeps most of them small?

Everyone has different reasons, but here are a few that come to mind.

1. They spend too much money on equipment, trucks, ect., before the business can support the costs. If you notice, all of my trucks are older but paid for. A nice new truck looks pretty and all, but I can do the same thing and only spend 1/10th of the cost.

2. Greed is a big killer. You must pay your helpers a decent wage to keep them. My lawn guys average $20+ an hour. I don't have the employee turn over that most do. This allows me to grow without worries of help being there.

3. They never dedicate themselves. They do the lawn work as a suppliment of income and have another job too. With the security of the "day job", many won't strive for growth.

These are a few that come to mind. I will add more as they come to me.

Steve
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Which stage of growth do you think was most difficult? Was it going from being a solo operator to getting your first employee? Or was it going from 1 crew to two? Or something else?

Metro Lawn
10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Which stage of growth do you think was most difficult? Was it going from being a solo operator to getting your first employee? Or was it going from 1 crew to two? Or something else?

I never worked solo. I bought an existing route. I would say the hardest was going from 2 jobs to just the lawn biz. It was scary not knowing if you could make it or not.

btw: What about my promotion idea on the other thread?

Steve
10-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I would say the hardest was going from 2 jobs to just the lawn biz. It was scary not knowing if you could make it or not.

I think many people try to make the jump from working a full time job to going full time with their lawn care business.

What suggestions do you have to make that transition successful?

Also, do you offer your employees any incentives to sell more?

Metro Lawn
10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I think many people try to make the jump from working a full time job to going full time with their lawn care business.

What suggestions do you have to make that transition successful?

Also, do you offer your employees any incentives to sell more?

I would guess the biggest thing is to have some money in reserve. I suggest having 4-5 months worth to cover all of your expenses and to give time for your cash flow to start flowing.

My workers are paid percentage, so the more work the get, the more thay make.

Steve
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
My workers are paid percentage, so the more work the get, the more thay make.

Do you have any suggestions on how a lawn care business owner should structure the percentages? Like should a foreman get 10% of a job and a crew member get 8%. What would work best?

Metro Lawn
10-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Do you have any suggestions on how a lawn care business owner should structure the percentages? Like should a foreman get 10% of a job and a crew member get 8%. What would work best?

Foreman 20% Crew 15%

Steve
10-15-2008, 06:43 PM
As an example, say you have a 3 man crew handling a yard that is being charged $35 per cut.

Would the foreman get ($35 x 20%) = $7
and each crew member get ($35 x 15%) = $5.25 each?

Metro Lawn
10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
As an example, say you have a 3 man crew handling a yard that is being charged $35 per cut.

Would the foreman get ($35 x 20%) = $7
and each crew member get ($35 x 15%) = $5.25 each?

Yes, exactly right