PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Picking Up

rwmorton2004
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm new at this...just finishing up my first season...what should you charge for leaf removal...compared to cutting yard...percentage wise. How much more to get the leaves out of the flower bed....Thanks Ron @ Rondrel

hotwired
10-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Hi Guy!
Here's a thread that was JUST started with basically the same question.
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7652

Steve
10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Ron,

Welcome to our forum. I hope that link helps.

LawnBoy0311
09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm new at this...just finishing up my first season...what should you charge for leaf removal...compared to cutting yard...percentage wise.

Anyone have any advice on this? I tried the link provided, but all it talked about was using a vac system or mulching. I don't advertise leaf removal, but I sometimes get someone asking for a quote. My usual response is that I don't do this service. The reason why I don't is that my town and the majority of my area has a free curbside pickup provided by the town. So many people opt out of paying someone when they can rake it to the curb and get it hauled away for free. Any advice on how to price these jobs would be great. I don't have a bagger on my ztr if that helps at all.

willshome
09-24-2013, 08:13 AM
The reason why I don't is that my town and the majority of my area has a free curbside pickup provided by the town. So many people opt out of paying someone when they can rake it to the curb and get it hauled away for free.

Just so I understand you don't do any fall cleanups or you blow it to the curb?

Blow the leaves into wind rows (lines) then rake onto tarps drag to truck. If you don't have a dump truck pile the loaded tarps on top of each other. So you can pull them out easy.

LawnBoy0311
09-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Just so I understand you don't do any fall cleanups or you blow it to the curb?

Blow the leaves into wind rows (lines) then rake onto tarps drag to truck. If you don't have a dump truck pile the loaded tarps on top of each other. So you can pull them out easy.

No fall cleanups for me. I've advertised before, but get the same response. They aren't interested because the town does it for free. How do you price these jobs? By an hourly rate?

stevef1201
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
how about charge for the time to blow to the curb, the day before the city picks up.

willshome
09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
No fall cleanups for me. I've advertised before, but get the same response. They aren't interested because the town does it for free. How do you price these jobs? By an hourly rate?
my city picks up bagged leaves.
So I base it on how long I think a normal person raking and bagging would take times $15 an hour.
Keep in mind we use blowers, Z-turn and 16hp leaf loader. Last year we did $50 an hour this year we upgraded to two Redmax 8500, and larger Z-turn (hoping to do $60 to $70 an hour.)

LawnBoy0311
09-25-2013, 06:46 AM
my city picks up bagged leaves.
So I base it on how long I think a normal person raking and bagging would take times $15 an hour.
Keep in mind we use blowers, Z-turn and 16hp leaf loader. Last year we did $50 an hour this year we upgraded to two Redmax 8500, and larger Z-turn (hoping to do $60 to $70 an hour.)

I remember the picture of your leaf loader last year, that thing was bad @$$! Thanks for the help, I have a general idea of what to charge.

Billy Goat
09-26-2013, 06:44 AM
This is my second season in lawn service but my first season in leaf removal. I just picked up a new customer for lawn service because I offer leaf removal this season. Customer wanted to deal with one lawn service company instead of two each year. To estimate on how much to charge for weekly/bi-weekly lawn service is one thing but leaf removal is totally different.

There a twice as many factors involved in leaf removal compared to mowing when it comes to what to charge your customers. One big thing I learned from this forum is do not advertise your rate per hour. It is easy for the customer to figure that out if they want to challenge you that your making $45-$60 per hour.

Just like lawn service, give your customer the scope of the job and what you will charge them. They really only want to know how much it will cost them for you to complete the job. I'm a one man army, with a mow and go operation. Most of my customers just want their lawns mowed and trimmed bi-weekly. They dont really care about lawncare and landscaping services. They just want the lawn cut at a reasonable price so they dont have to do it.

With leaf removal, Iam getting the same thing, they just want the bottom line price. My first leaf estimate was for $300 and the customer said ok sign me up and ask how much for lawn service on a weekly basis. I told him $40 and he said see you next week to start mowing my lawn on a regular basis. This is a 1/4 acre property and I can do it in less than 45 minutes. As far as leaf removal, I have nothing to compare too so I dont know if I low-balled myself or not asking for $300.

I just dont want to be way off on the price and then next year tell the customer the price is $500 this year. Thats not good for business but I have to live and learn. Any pointers from veterans on this topic would greatly help us little guys. Just having some idea of how you remove leaves and what you charge on the average. If we get some good replies, some of us my have the same situation as you and can charge a fair price.

I seen a ton of videos of how everyone does leaf removal differently but we need size of properties, man hours and what you charged the customer on the average.

BelleCityLawn1
09-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Thought I would offer my knowledge on fall cleanups and leaf removals. Basically I charge between 4-7 times what the mowing rate is for leaf removals depending on the amount of leaves. On larger yards I have one person blow out the labdscaping onto the yard then we take the mower and mow the different areas of the yards into piles. By now the guy blowing is done so he rakes the piles onto a tarp and bring it to the truck and dumps them in. I put sides on my trucks then line it with tarps so we can quickly remove the leaves when full. Once he is taking the tarps of leaves off the lawn I put on the bagger and make nice lines/ bag the lawn. When we are done we through a tarp over the bed of the truck tp keep the leaves from flying out. We do the same on smaller yards just with push mowers. Hope this helps!

I would love a leaf loader!!!

Thanks,
Tim Oezer

kslawn
09-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm usually just give a flat rate and do good on them around $50-60 per hour. For new accounts or one timers I charge a man hour rate per person on the crew...I blow the leaves out of the flower beds & either vac them up or I blow them..most of my lawns I can blow or dump leaves into the nature areas,but I do have a couple where I just dump on the edge of the alleys behind the houses in the city areas for the city to pick up...I have a ZTR w/vac 60" with a a Giant Vac blower that mounts on the front of it and it blows about 4300 cfm so it makes short work of the leaves and I dont hardly have to touch a rake or tarp, if I have to take them away I will put a tarp down on the floor of my trailer with sides , and dump the leaves in my trailer and then can usually drag the tarp off my trailer with two guys pretty easy...

dpld
09-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyone have any advice on this? I tried the link provided, but all it talked about was using a vac system or mulching. I don't advertise leaf removal, but I sometimes get someone asking for a quote. My usual response is that I don't do this service. The reason why I don't is that my town and the majority of my area has a free curbside pickup provided by the town. So many people opt out of paying someone when they can rake it to the curb and get it hauled away for free. Any advice on how to price these jobs would be great. I don't have a bagger on my ztr if that helps at all.

most of the towns i service the town removes the leaves from the curb but people still pay us to get them to the curb and it is far more profitable doing that then having to load and dispose of them.
when i do the residential part of my route i can drop a couple guys off at each house with blowers and come back and transport them to the next home.
all our residential accounts are bunched up and we have multiple homes we service on each street we work on so as you can see i can drop a few guys off with the fuel and equipment and viola, it's all done. no trucks to load or dump.
when i do the commercial route we have to take everything and i have some sites that we haul 30 cubic yards of leaves each visit during the fall season talk about time and money, what a PITA.
if i had my choice, all my accounts would put the leaves on the curb.

LawnBoy0311
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
most of the towns i service the town removes the leaves from the curb but people still pay us to get them to the curb and it is far more profitable doing that then having to load and dispose of them.
when i do the residential part of my route i can drop a couple guys off at each house with blowers and come back and transport them to the next home.
all our residential accounts are bunched up and we have multiple homes we service on each street we work on so as you can see i can drop a few guys off with the fuel and equipment and viola, it's all done. no trucks to load or dump.
when i do the commercial route we have to take everything and i have some sites that we haul 30 cubic yards of leaves each visit during the fall season talk about time and money, what a PITA.
if i had my choice, all my accounts would put the leaves on the curb.

How would you charge when blowing them to the curb? I'd much rather do it this way, but it seems everyone would rather do it themselves! I'll try to push advertising and see what I can do!

Florida Lawn Man
09-27-2013, 09:08 PM
How would you charge when blowing them to the curb? I'd much rather do it this way, but it seems everyone would rather do it themselves! I'll try to push advertising and see what I can do!

Here is how our fall cleanups go.

Fall and winter months,
Blow leaves from beds to turf
Mow lawn with our mulching deck. (Weekly)

Spring,
2 applications of lime.

Our customers are charged 50 services per year. Basically we get rid of the leaves before they need raking.

If I had to charge to remove leaves it would be 100+ per man hour.

willshome
09-28-2013, 01:37 AM
it seems everyone would rather do it themselves!
Do other landscapers do leaves in your area I know when I lived in DE I saw leaf boxes and loaders all the time. And what about people who can do it.

LawnBoy0311
09-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Do other landscapers do leaves in your area I know when I lived in DE I saw leaf boxes and loaders all the time. And what about people who can do it.

A few others do it, I was talking to another LCO, he was saying he doesit by the hour. His hourly rate is about the same as mine. Him and I have talked a lot in the past, he's a great guy.

I think I'll go off a higher hourly rate and see how it goes.

The county uses a Badger truck. I'll try to get a picture next time I see it.

dpld
09-28-2013, 12:55 PM

just charge your normal hourly rate per man.

just because you are not taking the leaves it does not mean you have to work cheaper.
they are already saving money because they don't have to pay for disposal as well as the added time in loading and hauling the leaves.

a fall clean up is a fall clean up it matters not whether the leaves stay or go it still requires the same effort to actually clean the yard.