PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am Travis

grassmowers08
10-05-2008, 06:38 PM
My dad and I started a lawn mowing business. I am twelve. I begged him to help me. We are going to make about 8,000 this year. We have about 20 lawns. I have a few puestions. What is the best hedge trimmer for the money? What is the best lawn mower for a growing business? Is a trailer just a whole lot better than working out of a pick up truck? Well see ya'll. The old man will start posting later.

Steve
10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Travis,

Welcome to our forum. I am guessing a lot of what answers you are looking for are going to be based on your budget.

I think if it were me, I would just run as cheaply as possible at first. With whatever mower I had access to. Then I would scale up to looking for a used commercial lawn mower. I also think I would just run out of my pickup for as long as I could before that became too much of a pain in the butt.

What kinds of marketing have you been doing so far to get your customers? What are you planning on doing to attract more?

oxfordlawn
10-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I personally just picked up a Echo hc-150 hedge trimmer. It works great for the light to medium duty stuff I have used it on. I does get a little "buzzy" in the hands after a while, but im only using for short periods at a time. I bought it at Home Depot and I think the price was @ $260. I keep buying Echo stuff for their warrannt period, but have never needed to use it so I cant say if that aspect is worth it.
Thats my 2 cents worth
Tom**
OXford Lawn

Little's
10-06-2008, 02:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. I picked up a brand new in the box Husqvarna hedge trimmer off of Ebay for about $170 w/ shipping included. I used it for a year and half. Just last week I went to do a hedge job and couldn't find it! I think someone either grabbed it out of my trailer, or I left it at a job somewhere...doh! I think it was the latter.

Well time to start shopping. I guess I will have to check out the Echo Oxfordlawn was talking about. I love Echo. Their stuff runs forever. I use their string trimmers daily. Never an issue.

grassmowers08
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
We have been handing out flyers in our area. We got magnetic signs on the truck. We also post on craiglist which really gives us a lot of business. I also ask my teachers if they need lawn mowing.

Steve
10-06-2008, 03:14 PM
You should also experiment with craigslist and see how that does for you as well. And send a press release to the local paper about you.

Take a picture of yourself mowing a yard and add a short story about how old you are and that you started your own business. I bet you would get an article written about you.