PDA

View Full Version : What stops you from...

Steve
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Have you ever found yourself wanting to do some of the more outrageous marketing ideas we have talked about on here and just never did them?

If so, what do you feel stops you?

justin_time
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
money but then you got to spend money to make money.. so i don't know anymore

Steve
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Which marketing idea(s) do you think you would have implemented if it wasn't for that?

justin_time
09-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Which marketing idea(s) do you think you would have implemented if it wasn't for that?

I'd be sending flyers every month with some kind of different promotion on it. I would also have a 4 season truck wrap on the truck for all 4 different seasons.

I would also advertise what kind of equipment i am using on the trailer (i plan to do this when i get my new trailer) as in Stihl stickers, Husqvarna stickers.. and all those brands that I use

Plan-It Graphics
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
I agree with Justin. Money is the main factor for not trying more outrageous ideas. If the "outrageous" ideas were free I think more would try it. Unfortunately... most, if not all advertising; outrageous or not, is not free. Creative ideas in my opinion are more effective than outrageous. Don't get me wrong, the tried and true methods of direct mail, door hangers, newspaper ads, lawn signs, etc are still in my opinion the best and most effective.

A creative idea... I believe I mentioned in another thread, i have used "frisbees" in the past with pretty good success. They are printed with my info on the front and a sticker with an estimate on the back. They are easy to throw onto neighbors of existing customers lawns.

If your company has some disposable income it might be worth trying outrageous ideas. I don't know if they would work any better, but they might help build some good name recognition. But i'd stick with the basics for growing the business at first and maybe add these ideas later in the years.

Just my opinion based on some experiences, but certainly not 100% (nothing is!! haha)

Bob

Steve
09-30-2008, 02:27 PM
A creative idea... I believe I mentioned in another thread, i have used "frisbees" in the past with pretty good success. They are printed with my info on the front and a sticker with an estimate on the back. They are easy to throw onto neighbors of existing customers lawns.

You should show us all a picture of that! I'd love to see it front and back! Are you offering those printing services too?

The thing I wonder about the promotional ideas is, how much of it is that the business owner doesn't want to attract attention to themselves. To their business, yes but to themselves, no?

Like for instance with the running for president concept. That would certainly garner some media attention but I think the reason most won't try it is because they don't want the personal attention, yet it seems to me, those who do want the personal attention tend to be able to translate that into business attention.

So then is it money ultimately or a desire not to be in the spotlight?