PDA

View Full Version : Dow down 700 points? Anyone care?

Steve
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
The Dow dropped 700 points today. Does anyone care?

Whats your view on this bail out plan that didn't happen?

quickcleanlawn
09-29-2008, 05:20 PM
The Dow dropped 700 points today. Does anyone care?

Whats your view on this bail out plan that didn't happen?

WOW , I personaly think they should let the greedy SOBs go down , their greed is what got them where they are anyway, all the bail out plan is going to do is keep rich people rich, and poor people poor, or even more poor seeing that we will be paying for it in taxes.

Steve
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I think your view is what most of America is feeling now too.

The other day Warren Buffett invested $5 billion in Goldman Sachs on the basis this bailout was going to go through and if it wasn't he said it would be a bad investment for him.

Then over the weekend he is speaking to congress on how important this bail out deal is.

And my question is, for who?

Why do they ask the advice of someone who has billions to lose?

Why not ask the average person what they think? Lets get some average people there in congress to tell them what the average person thinks. I don't feel they want to hear it. Nor do I feel the press wants to report on it.

Further more, I am watching the news tonight and they are talking about how credit is tougher to get and that is causing problems for businesses that need credit to make payroll! Holy crap! What kind of business needs credit to make payroll? What ever happened to making a profit and paying payroll with money your business earned?

quickcleanlawn
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
how do you think this effects our customers?
would this be a good time for them to invest in there homes to raise the property value,if they are paid for? ( no morgages)
how can we use this situation to our advantage ?

Steve
09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
That is a very good question.

It does make you wonder. If the bigger picture of the economy is to take a hit across the board, certainly lawn care and landscaping will take a hit.

But as long as people have jobs, they will want to work as little as possible when they are off. People will always want to keep up as best of an image as possible.

how can we use this situation to our advantage ?

You could experiment with maybe some craigslist advertising at first and mention the dow is down and then maybe say something like but now is the best time to keep your yard looking on top of the market.

Then offer some kind of coupon for specific services and see if anyone bites.

If they do, then scale it up.

Also if you are offering gutter cleaning, you could say something like this.

This fall our country is going to be flushing out the current president, so this is a great time to think about flushing out your home's gutters.

Then you could have a picture of Bush and Cheney on a boat beaing flushed down a gutter. LOL then offer a discount on the service.

Sometimes being funny or creative can grab attention. That attention might give you an edge to get your sales message across to the consumer.

Does this inspire you to create other ideas as well?

Plan-It Graphics
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Personally I don't care I don't have stocks anyway, BUT most of your customers probably do.

I DO NOT approve of this "bail out plan" but the biggest problem I see with the situation regardless of what the Fed eventually decides to do is that every time we have falling stocks, and especially days like today where it fell 777!!! the media jumps all over it, and it is news, so they have a right to report it. But the "doom and gloom" news coverage the US media has embraced, sparks fear. These news broadcasts, regardless of your income, effects the way you think about money and how you will spend it. I really predict a higher cancel rate next season for the entire lawn care industry than we've had in a long time.

Not to mention, with fertilizer prices through the roof (an understatement at that), people like me, who's company is based 90% on fertilizer, are going to have to raise prices drastically next year. So that isn't going to help with retaining as many customers as in previous years.

So to answer the question steve asked. Even if you don't care personally, you should, cause your customers probably do.

I always put a disclaimer saying "this is only my opinion" at the end of alot of my posts , and in this case I really mean it. But again, if you don't care you really should. This is a BAD situation for some people.

quickcleanlawn
09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Personally I don't care I don't have stocks anyway, BUT most of your customers probably do.

I DO NOT approve of this "bail out plan" but the biggest problem I see with the situation regardless of what the Fed eventually decides to do is that every time we have falling stocks, and especially days like today where it fell 777!!! the media jumps all over it, and it is news, so they have a right to report it. But the "doom and gloom" news coverage the US media has embraced, sparks fear. These news broadcasts, regardless of your income, effects the way you think about money and how you will spend it. I really predict a higher cancel rate next season for the entire lawn care industry than we've had in a long time.

Not to mention, with fertilizer prices through the roof (an understatement at that), people like me, who's company is based 90% on fertilizer, are going to have to raise prices drastically next year. So that isn't going to help with retaining as many customers as in previous years.

So to answer the question steve asked. Even if you don't care personally, you should, cause your customers probably do.

I always put a disclaimer saying "this is only my opinion" at the end of alot of my posts , and in this case I really mean it. But again, if you don't care you really should. This is a BAD situation for some people.

Your right, If you dont care about this you really should. this is effecting these peoples retirement, 401ks and their morgages, which in turn tightens up their budget, and forces them to do stupid things like buy their own mower and lawn equipment, which puts us out of work. so before you think this only effects the rich, think again.

Steve
09-30-2008, 02:23 PM
You are very right with all of that you said. I don't want to see the economy go down. No one wants to see that. I think people get frustrated at what they perceive as a bailout for large corporations when the average person is left standing there saying why?

I liked this protesters sign :)

quickcleanlawn
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Ha ha thats funny.
I think the people are more upset becouse this is somthing that could have been avoided, like most of Americas problems, We caused them to ourselves due to neglect and greed, and thats why most of the people are like you know what F*** this, let it crash just so we can see the greedy sobs suffer as much as the rest of us.
I could go on but I have to leave.
I'll be back later.

Steve
09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
WaMu, gets seized by the federal government and is sold to JP Morgan Chase.

The CEO of WaMu gets $18 million dollars for 3 weeks work up until the bank was seized.

WaMu CEO: 3 weeks work, $18M (http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/26/news/companies/fishman_wamu/index.htm) - Washington Mutual Chief Executive Alan Fishman could walk away with more than $18 million in salary, bonuses and severance after less than three weeks on the job, according to the terms of his employment agreement.

Now businesses can pay anyone what ever they want. That is fine to me. But any business that is in dire straights that hires a CEO who fails to turn it around and is only in the job for 3 weeks, should cease to exist.

I am glad WaMu is gone. These businesses aren't run by forward thinking entrepreneurs. They are run by short sighted individuals looking out for their own immediate interests. As long as this goes on, such businesses should be allowed to fail while others who operate differently will succeed.